Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just joined the forum and am looking for advice regarding buying a 407SW. I am looking for a 54/05 reg 2.0 diesel.
We will be using it to tow a caravan.
What are the things I should look out for?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you're buying second hand then anything over 50,000 miles will need the FAP Filter replacing in the very near future depending on the use of the car previously. Cars that are used around town need them replacing faster than those used for mainly motorway journeys. Cost for replacing a fap filter inc labour and vat £450 - £700.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Steve.
If I buy a car with full Peugeot service history, should the filter have been changed?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Unfortunately not, I brought a 307 2 weeks ago with 7 peugeot stamps and mine still went 4 days after buying it. Basically it puts the car into limp mode when it needs replacing. When you turn the car off and then back on this usually resets the computer on the car and you can drive around as usual for a short period until this process repeats itself. If you carry on ignoring it though it will then damage the cat. This is not a servicable item so Peugeot will not check to see if it is on it's way out.

Most people trade their cars in when this needs replacing as it can cost between £440 to £700 (cost depending on if you find the right Peugeot dealer).

If you found a 407 you were seriously interested in I would ask for a Peugeot diagnostic to be carried out (£40 - £55)which would tell you if it was due to be renewed but you would have to ask the seller to tell Peugeot to specifically look at this filter to make sure it was checked. If you were buying it trade you could always ask him to guarentee the filter for a year ( he'll probably say he's never heard of this filter before and that he's sold 100's without any problems, if so he should have no problem guarenteing it for you then.

Like I said before any diesel Peugeot above 50,000 would make me suspicious. These filters are like cambelts, it all depends on how & where the car has been driven.

You will find plenty of threads on this site that will give you greater detail on the particulate filter. As my Peugeot dealer said last week when I was booking my car in for one of these filter replacements "these are Peugeots biggest fault we deal with".

·
Registered
862 Posts
Make sure all of the recalls have been carried out,check the lower ball joints as well as they are prone to failing and ask if the clutch has been renewed as they only carry a 20k gurantee from PSA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts