Peugeot Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a 2005 407 SW and the Multi-Function Display (MFD) is very difficult to read except at night. The contrast of the LCD screen (it's the mono one, not the colour display) varies across the panel and some parts are unreadable. At first I thought it was the backlight panel behind the LCD, but seeing that the problem changes and responds to gentle pressure on the screen indicates it's the LCD itself.

Is this a common problem? Seems a bit odd on a car that's only four years old and it's not normal for an LCD display to develop this type of problem with age.

The previous owner says she'd seen it do this before and it cleared-up when a main dealer set or reset something via the display, but I can't see any 'reset to default' function or similar.

Any ideas?

G

·
Hi

Do you have the amber display?

I dont know the 407 version, but if its the same as 307, then you will probably find one or more of the small lamps blown behind it.

Secondly, your previous owner is right in that Planet (dealer diags) does have an option for brightness... quite why, I will never know.

Might also be worth checking that dashboard illumination is turned up...

David

·
Registered
77 Posts
the screen is FUBAR, its the old generation screen, it is a 407 problem, these are not cheap at th dealers, keep an eye out on e-bay

old generation screen with the problem has a white case, later generation has a black case and the electrical connector moved to the other side and turned 90 degrees

if your lucky and get one on e-bay, it may be programmed to suit your car, if not its a trip to the dealer to have it programmed with planet

ive seen these go for as much as £80 on e-bay, and they dont come up very often

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, it is the amber display and I don't think it can be the backlight as the illumination varies across the display and appears differently depending on when you view it. Also, part of the problem produces what I can only describe as a 'smearing' effect where a faint copy of a line of text appears below/above the place it's supposed to be - just like it had been vertically smudged if it were ink. The problem also appears to be worse when it's hot which would suggest it's the LCD.

407mad's comments confirm my suspicions (not sure what the white/black 'case' means, but the surrounding bezel is black). Do the above characteristics match the symptoms you've seen? Does this mean that a new one will fix the problem?

I've already set up an eBay email to advise when someone offers one for sale, but nothing so far and I'm not sure I'd be willing to part with £80 to fix it, so I guess I'll be living with it.

G

·
I have the same problem, again only when the screen is really hot

Other than that it is perfectly readable, let me know how you get on sourcing a replacement (cost, where from etc) :thumb:

Mines on a 307 but from the description it sounds like the same screen

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In which case, Stubbo, replacing the display may not fix the problem. Like I said earlier, LCDs can exhibit problems when hot and it's not a characteristic of an ageing display (as far as I know).

If I can get one cheap I'll give it a go, but it would be so annoying to fit a new one and find the problems still there. :mad:

I'll let you know. :thumb:

G

·
Guys

I did not think the basic 307 display had the same problem as the 407 from what I read.

All the 307 amber displays I have seen have been quite dull in daytime and perfect in half-light and night - even after adjusting the dash dimmer and ensuring all the bulbs at the rear were working.

If it is a temp thingy, what about installing a wee PC fan behind it to blow cold air?!?!?

David

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure if BestGear's fan suggestion was serious, but there are a number of reasons this would probably not work even if I was prepared to go to those lengths.

I have seen a few come up on eBay, but as 407mad said, they do tend to go for silly money ('round £100). The most recent one I saw went for under £50, but the seller (parts breaker) said it would have to be programmed by a dealer and the cost would be about £50.

I'm afraid I just can't justify this level of expense for a minor cosmetic fix especially when it should be covered by guarantee. LCDs don't normally go this way so Peugeot must either have cheaped out when they specified the component or, more likely, it's the wrong display for the job. Either way it's not the sort of thing any owner should have to fork out for within such a short period of time, especially at prices that clearly generates extra revenue for Peugeot.

If anybody can clarify whether or not programming is required and the cost involved it may be workable if another cheap display comes up on eBay.

G

·
Replacing it with a late 2006-onwards display will cure it - thefirst 2 years of prdouction suffered with this and hot weather melting .

The screen does 'talk' to the BSI, so it may need setting up on Planet/Lexia to getit to work. I say may, as it seem hit and miss as some people have done it and been fine, and some have replaced theirs and needed it setting up. you won't know til you try.

It takes about 15 minutes to program, so if the dealer tries to charge you more than 0.4 of an hours labour, +VAT, tell them to bugger off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Display

Hi I have a 407 04 reg and i have the same problem that when it is hot the display is very hard to read and when it is cold it is readable. I visited my peugeot dealer who does all my repairs and servicing and they said it would cost me around £50 just to plug a machine in to see what the problem is. i decided not to bother as i can read the display when it is cold or warm anyway. Obviousley this is a peugeot problem and they should recall and sort this proplem out free of charge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same problem on my 407 04 reg and thought it may have been damaged by previous owner. Got a replacement on at breakers yard (04 model again) and after about 3 days it developed the same issues when hot.
Very annoying when you have passengers in the car and they all comment on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
chopper1192 said:
Replacing it with a late 2006-onwards display will cure it - thefirst 2 years of prdouction suffered with this and hot weather melting .

The screen does 'talk' to the BSI, so it may need setting up on Planet/Lexia to getit to work. I say may, as it seem hit and miss as some people have done it and been fine, and some have replaced theirs and needed it setting up. you won't know til you try.

It takes about 15 minutes to program, so if the dealer tries to charge you more than 0.4 of an hours labour, +VAT, tell them to bugger off.
This is definitely worth knowing because I can now ask the seller the age/reg. no. of the vehicle knowing that late 2006 models will be more likely to fix the problem. Nice one!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
We're getting somewhere and these are now appearing regularly on eBay, but I'm keen to avoid Carrickabawn's experience:

Carrickabawn said:
Had the same problem on my 407 04 reg and thought it may have been damaged by previous owner. Got a replacement on at breakers yard (04 model again) and after about 3 days it developed the same issues when hot.
..hassle and expense with no resulting benefit!

Now, it should be possible to identify whether it's an old or new type by asking the seller some questions before placing a bid and chopper1192 said this:

chopper1192 said:
This sounds like very useful information, but depends upon the seller being willing and able to honestly state the vehicle's age.

407mad said this earlier:

407mad said:
old generation screen with the problem has a white case, later generation has a black case and the electrical connector moved to the other side and turned 90 degrees.
This pins it right down, but unfortunately photos on eBay will normally show the display from the front, as you'd expect and I'm guessing that the colour of the 'case' 407mad is referring to is at the rear as the front casing is dark metallic grey. This means having to ask the seller to take another photo, which many sellers simply won't want to be bothered with, or asking some very specific questions about the appearance of the unit as viewed from the rear.

The colour should be enough and can't be mistaken, even by the dodgiest breaker, but the bit about the connector is also useful. The problem is that 407mad's detail about the connector is expressed in a relative way so, unless I have both displays in front of me, "..moved to the other side and turned 90 degrees" can both be interpreted either way.

If we could have this detail with some qualifying orientation, such as "looking at the display from the rear, the right way up, the connector on the new type is on the (left/right) side, oriented (vertically/horizontally)", I'd be able to ask several questions that could be easily answered by the seller and would clearly identify whether it's an old or new type.

Millivan.

G

·
Ask the seller to confirm the part number, then check servicebox and you'll see if it's the later or earlier type. Simples.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I found this on eBay today: Item 260600938693

It's new so shouldn't suffer the heat-fade problem and I can see it doesn't look like the pic I have of the 'old' type, but it also doesn't sound like the description of the correct part given by 407mad earlier in the post:

"old generation screen with the problem has a white case, later generation has a black case and the electrical connector moved to the other side and turned 90 degrees."

How can I check this will be compatible?

Chopper1192 said:

"Ask the seller to confirm the part number, then check servicebox and you'll see if it's the later or earlier type."

The problem is I don't know what 'servicebox' is. I did ask but didn't get a reply.

G

·
It's pugs online parts and service compendium, a vast repository of knowledge. Stick 'peugeot servicebox' into Google and take the time to register and explore.

The bummer is that Pug were happily replacing the under warranty, but many previous owners (companies maybe?) Couldn't be arsed and plenty of cars slipped through to annoy second and third owners today.

I suspect mine has bee replaced as the MFD is rock solid in the heat, but the top line of the odometer display vanishes when its an uber sunny day, though after a few minutes of aircon running it soon recovers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks chopper1192.

Actually that's exactly what I did and found it straight away, registered and tried using it, but had no luck at all.

There are links from the main site to Peugeot Service Box, but nowhere can I see how to use it. I've tried entering each of the many codes on the back of the display (now added to the eBay item's description) in the search box but nothing came up. There is a page to enter the VIN so maybe this is the way it works, but what I really need to know is whether the part for sale will be OK.

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

G

·
Stick your VIN in to bring up your car. Then go to the section for interior equipment, then find the MFD. You want the laer part number, ie, the different on to yours.

Alas, the 'box isn't very intuitive and the odd word/instruction is in French, which doesn't help, so you may have to play a bit.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Been there got the T Shirt. I contacted Peugeot Dealer today to ask about the Amber Centre display they said to me "which one is it" I asked the question and the delaer responded by saying that there are 6 variations of this display which is model dependant and I believe that in some circumstances you may have to visit the dealer to "planet up" and code to your vehicle. I said just choose the display that you have sold the most. he quoted part number 6593K4 that retails at £200. My display is faulting the same way after 15 -20 minutes the display lcd mists over making the screen almost inmpossible to read. However 1st thing in the morning when its cold everything displays fine.
I also believe Peugeot have addressed this by bringing out a new modified display. The back of the original display is made of white moulded plastic the new one is made of black plastic and the plug is on the other side of the rear housing. Its a bit steep but I have been looking for a replacement and called most of the scrappies but as yet nothing available. Just hope I can get the right one and hope it doesnt need coding.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.