Peugeot Forums banner

407 SW HDi - 1.6 vs 2.0

10K views 41 replies 9 participants last post by  pete407sw 
#1 ·
Hi

I'm new to the forum, although I've had my 306 for nearly a year now.

I'm looking for a 407 SW, about 2005/2006 I can't decide on the 2.0 or the 1.6.

I know the obvious - rcheaper road tax, better mpg, better insurance, maybe...

I have only had the oportunity to test drive the 2.0 which was great, I'm not sure of the 1.6 will be a little under powered?

Any opinions at all will be greatfully recieved...

Thanks

#7 ·
Depends if fuel economy is a big issue for you? I have owned a 1.6 saloon and now a 2.0 and I do miss the frugality of the 1.6. Do you want to justify a 26bhp increase for a larger fuel consumption.less issues with the dpf as in a 1.6 you can feel the car wanting to regenerate and you can actively keep the car on the road so it will complete the regen. I can't feel it on the 2.0 163. The only thing I found with the 1.6 is that it misses a 6th gear

#17 ·
S is the bobby basic - SE is the "common one" (and I just bought one) with the alloys, and glass roof along with some other toys - X-Line adds leather interior - Zenith is to of the range bar one (the executive) with heated electric seats and more toys again.

This is NOT a definitive list but I really wanted a Zenith but got the SE crash damaged for a cracking price so I relented.

As regards the 2.0 or the 1.6 - the 1.6 has huge turbo issues if anyone has ever put 10w40 oil into them (which happens WAY too often - "diesel oil is diesel oil, right?") The 2.0 is only fractionally more expensive to insure (well it was for me anyway) but you get a lump more engine for your money - the 1.6 comes with 110 hp stock and can be tweaked up to the mid 130's (ask bettyswollocks) - the 2.0 is 136 stock and will happily go up to the high 160's.

For me, once I'd done my research, there was no question - lose a little fuel economy (which you can get most of back with a remap if you bother) and you get more reliability, flexibility etc.

2.0 MPG is probably better on the long hauls, with the 6th gear - if not better I bet it's comparable. If you're doing lots of slow round the town stuff, you might benefit from the 1.6 but you'll be forever getting regen cycles which will eat into the MPG....

#21 ·
S is the bobby basic - SE is the "common one" (and I just bought one) with the alloys, and glass roof along with some other toys - X-Line adds leather interior - Zenith is to of the range bar one (the executive) with heated electric seats and more toys again.
This explains why I'm only really seeing the SE or the occasional S.

I'm maining checking autotrader, ebay and the local rag and I havent come across any X line or Zenith models.... :mad:

#22 ·
It might be that the sellers don't realise that they have them and fail to put it in the listing. I found one on a garage forecourt in Preston last year.

And back in 1995 I managed to pick up a Mini 1275GT for £99 because it had a different boot on it and was missing the badge. :)

#23 ·
When you're looking at pics of the cars, check out the front doors near the wings - MOST (but not all) Xeniths and X-Lines have fairly large round (IMO nasty looking) badges on them....

There are 8 x-lines and 6 zeniths on Autotrader under £4k right now - just type one or the other into the text box where it says Add Keyword...

G
#28 ·
HELLO ALL sorry caps lock left on. I have a 55 plate 2.0 407sw hdi se I'm getting 38 - 40 mpg on average more on a motorway run. Apart from a few niggles brake peddle travel boot space etc I love it. She's got plenty of toys panoramic roof abs esp cruise control arm rest 4 elec windows dual zone climate control etc so far no dpf issues ( yep just cursed it :eek:) compared to other cars I have owned / driven (03 mondeo tdci 07 passat tdi )she's a little under powered but will hold her own at a set of lights and was beyond belief during the 6 hour Scotland run. Living with her in the real world for the last 9 months or so is not the easiest to drive around town but amazing on long motorway journeys space is adequate for me the wife 2 kids and a dog in the boot. 152 800 miles on the clock with minimal service history but she was clean and honest in the engine bay so I'm a happy monkey :cool: hope this helps a little bit:thumb:

#29 ·
152 800 miles on the clock with minimal service history but she was clean and honest in the engine bay so I'm a happy monkey
I'd be nervous with the service history aspect of it.

Saying that my 306 has 160,000, no history at all and never misses a beat.

Clutch is beginning to go but hey, wear and tear and all that.

I'm swaying towards the 2.0, and the Zenith if I'm honest.... :eek:

G
#30 ·
Don't worry too much about having a dpf or not.

It's nice to have one without it but not the end of the world, knowing you have one and how to look after it is the main thing.
Plenty of cars out there with high miles and still on original filter and issue free, just avoid one's that have been used for short journeys and a lot of stop starts (if you can).

I'd worry more about the heater box flaps and clutch :nod:

G
#32 ·
I agree as long as the basics have been done regularly ie oil and filter change it should be reasonably ok. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I remember watching on the discovery channel a programme think it was massive engines or something that the BMW f1 team would only use engine blocks that had done over 100 000 miles in their f1 car because if it was going to break it would have already done so, obviously you can't say the same for clutches and ball joints :D

#36 ·
You've basically come to the same conclusion I did heh - looking for a 2.0 Zenith on a 55/56 plate with sub-100k for around £3-4k - it'll be a good hunt - they do show up but they aren't common.

There's a part of me that wishes I'd held out but I got my 56 2.0 SE with under 80k for £2200 (crash damaged) and it's going to cost me about £800 total to put it back on the road - being in the bodyshop game it ended up being too good to pass up (IMO).

#37 ·
I'll be doing 'some' motorway driving most days, but only 4-5 miles....

There are Zeniths on Autotrader at the moment so I know what you mean they aren't easy to come by and then I'm gonna be picky over the service history...

I might have to play the waiting game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.