·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Spain, had air bag light came on now and again, I got one on the
internet, had been tested and cleared as OK, had it fitted by Puegeot dealer,
they quoted me 500 Euros for a new one, since the replacement one has been
on, it is OK as long as the ambient temperature does not go over 20c, all the
time it is under that it is fine, Any Ideas, dealer just says it needs a new one
but not convinced, seems strange to me the 2 units have similar faults.
Someone must know the answer.
Regards LGB

·
Registered
264 Posts
Could be (and this is a total shot in the dark) if you have a dodgy battery, or alternator, then the additional power going to the air conditioner could temporarily leave insufficient power for the airbags.
I only mention this because my alternator died a few days ago, and in my attempt to get home I kept driving. Eventually the lights started to dim, the heating failed, and then the airbag light came on, probably when the voltage got below a certain point.
I also mention this because perhaps you have the aircon turned on full blast when the weather is warm?
It could just be a temporary drop in voltage that would give you the airbag warning light.
Could be a stiff bearing on your aircon, or a dodgy regulator on the alternator.
Or or course it could be a faulty wire, but unlikely if it only happens in hot weather.
If you have a multimeter then maybe throw it on to the battery, and then blast the aircon and a load of other stuff, and see if the voltage drops.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be (and this is a total shot in the dark) if you have a dodgy battery, or alternator, then the additional power going to the air conditioner could temporarily leave insufficient power for the airbags.
I only mention this because my alternator died a few days ago, and in my attempt to get home I kept driving. Eventually the lights started to dim, the heating failed, and then the airbag light came on, probably when the voltage got below a certain point.
I also mention this because perhaps you have the aircon turned on full blast when the weather is warm?
It could just be a temporary drop in voltage that would give you the airbag warning light.
Could be a stiff bearing on your aircon, or a dodgy regulator on the alternator.
Or or course it could be a faulty wire, but unlikely if it only happens in hot weather.
If you have a multimeter then maybe throw it on to the battery, and then blast the aircon and a load of other stuff, and see if the voltage drops.
Hi thanks for the possible causes, new battery 4 months ago, temp set at 22c all year, ( climate control ) , it is out at the moment and 95% of the time, 24c yesterday, but can have a time when on 60% time, no logic to it at all, next time it comes on, I will turn a/c off completely then try. Don't want to pay out 60 Euros and it is just the same.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi thanks for the possible causes, new battery 4 months ago, temp set at 22c all year, ( climate control ) , it is out at the moment and 95% of the time, 24c yesterday, but can have a time when on 60% time, no logic to it at all, next time it comes on, I will turn a/c off completely then try. Don't want to pay out 60 Euros and it is just the same.
The only thing is, I'm not sure if the fault light will stay on until the car is turned off, regardless of whether or not the fault is temporary. I think this is the case with abs fault lights anyway.
You could also pick up the Lexia3 cable/kit for well under €60 and run PeugeotPlanet diagnostics yourself. I got one when I got my 407 and it's saved me a fortune, especially with things like abs sensors and engine fault codes.
In your case it would most likely tell you the type of fault that caused it, low voltage, open circuit, short circuit, etc, so it usually points you in the right direction.
Like this: FULL Chip Lexia 3 PP2000 for Citroen/Peugeot Diagnostic with Diagbox V7.83 Y8A1 | eBay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts