Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
The front shockers on my 407 SV sedan are absolutely stuffed. Considering my car has the adaptable dampener feature, is there a specific type of shocker I have to buy for it? Or can I buy a shock absorber that’s designed for the models without the adjustable dampener.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi all,
The front shockers on my 407 SV sedan are absolutely stuffed. Considering my car has the adaptable dampener feature, is there a specific type of shocker I have to buy for it? Or can I buy a shock absorber that’s designed for the models without the adjustable dampener.
Thanks in advance.
You can buy normal dampers.
You just need to code the ecu

·
Registered
893 Posts
I assume that means I lose the functionality of the adaptive dampers?

Yes. You will also have to replace all 4 dampers with standard units for best performance if you go down this route. Adaptive dampers are not too expensive though, so enquire with dealer for the price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. You will also have to replace all 4 dampers with standard units for best performance if you go down this route. Adaptive dampers are not too expensive though, so enquire with dealer for the price.
Ok awesome thank you. The car has 130,000km and the rear shocks where replaced at 75,000km so I think it would make sense to get the adaptive dampers rather than changing all 4

·
Registered
893 Posts
At first when I bought the coupe, I was glad mine didnt have the adaptive dampers (simple = less to go wrong = cheaper to run). But after seeing the price of replacement shocks, yes, it's twice as expensive but the service life is comparable to standard and very rarely goes faulty (would suggest you replace the little metal link rods for the sensors as those tend to break quite often!), there is definitely far more comfort to the electronic dampers, I now wish I had the adaptive dampers on mine!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At first when I bought the coupe, I was glad mine didnt have the adaptive dampers (simple = less to go wrong = cheaper to run). But after seeing the price of replacement shocks, yes, it's twice as expensive but the service life is comparable to standard and very rarely goes faulty (would suggest you replace the little metal link rods for the sensors as those tend to break quite often!), there is definitely far more comfort to the electronic dampers, I now wish I had the adaptive dampers on mine!
Going through the service records of my car, in 2015 the previous owner had the rear struts replaced for $650 AUD a STRUT. My eyes nearly fell out of my head. Just got off the phone to Peugeot Melbourne City and they only want $600 AUD for a front pair, which is far cheaper than I ever imagined. I’m just gonna toss up whether or not they’re worth doing, don’t plan on keeping the car for too long because Peugeot resale in Australia is abysmal

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
If the car does everything you want & is reliable plus cheap to run, its resale value doesn't really matter.

Last 206 I had was £10k brand new book price but at 15 years old at the end of its useful service life when traded in, it was worth £400.

As you can tell I don't buy cars to worry about there resale value.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the car does everything you want & is reliable plus cheap to run, its resale value doesn't really matter.

Last 206 I had was £10k brand new book price but at 15 years old at the end of its useful service life when traded in, it was worth £400.

As you can tell I don't buy cars to worry about there resale value.
Does any Peugeot owner care about resale value lol? These cars are so impossible to find information and parts on (In Australia). It's like every second day something new goes wrong with this car. It's an alright drive and ride but it's definitely not cheap to run

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The 407 wasn't one of Peugeot's highlights in design or build quality, they came from the Peugeot era of not caring about company reputation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 407 wasn't one of Peugeot's highlights in design or build quality, they came from the Peugeot era of not caring about company reputation.
My dad on the other hand has a 2015 508 allure wagon, and the build quality is much better and the ride and handling is also pretty good too. A bit more reliable too, has 30k more km than mine and far less has gone wrong. Ride wise it doesn't feel too far off his old w212 e350 to be honest.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Have you seen cars from other manufacturers in the 2000-2010 period? None were particularly high quality. The Lexus IS used 3 different lighting colours in it's interior. BMW's had the infamous timing chain problems, VW Audi had the rubber coatings on the interior which fell apart and not to mention dieselgate even if that was after 2010. All cars between that age were a bit poor.

Once you take into account of the age, the Peugeot 407 is an excellent car. Smooth, comfortable and even reliable. Dampers failing after 15 years is classed as a wear and tear item. You wouldn't complain if brake pads needed replacing, you shouldn't complain about the dampers!

Also, yes the 508 has better build quality, ride, handling, reliability etc. I would really hope it does! An upgrade shouldn't be worse than the previous model!

It's like complaining and saying my 15 year old 407 coupe isn't as nice as a 2019 508. It shouldn't be!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The company I worked for had several 407 SW on its company car fleet for managers - whenever they finished a team meeting they would start comparing whats gone wrong on each others 407s.

Door latch screws falling out & heater systems with a mind of there own where the most common complaint by most.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you seen cars from other manufacturers in the 2000-2010 period? None were particularly high quality. The Lexus IS used 3 different lighting colours in it's interior. BMW's had the infamous timing chain problems, VW Audi had the rubber coatings on the interior which fell apart and not to mention dieselgate even if that was after 2010. All cars between that age were a bit poor.

Once you take into account of the age, the Peugeot 407 is an excellent car. Smooth, comfortable and even reliable. Dampers failing after 15 years is classed as a wear and tear item. You wouldn't complain if brake pads needed replacing, you shouldn't complain about the dampers!

Also, yes the 508 has better build quality, ride, handling, reliability etc. I would really hope it does! An upgrade shouldn't be worse than the previous model!

It's like complaining and saying my 15 year old 407 coupe isn't as nice as a 2019 508. It shouldn't be!
I disagree, having driven pretty much only 2000s cars, the Peugeot is by far the worst. The most breaks on it, it rattles on almost every door and the materials aren’t exactly well designed or well made. A 2000s 3 series on the other hand feels much, much better built. I agree with Mr Lee, having had two 407s (my dad had one and I have one), both have had many issues. I.E; radio changing over bumps, fuel senders, various electrical faults and so forth. Of course dampeners are wear, but my god, the electrical faults and the noises in the car are at least twice as bad as any other 2000s cars I’ve driven, even with cars that have double the mileage as the 407 (which has 130,000km...). I wouldn’t class it anywhere NEAR reliable to be honest, it is a decent ride but.
Much more than my previous car, a Holden commodore (I believe it’s called a Vauxhall of some type in Europe) which was built in Australia, in the 2000s, with comparable specs to the 407 too feature wise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts