Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, just wondering if anybody can shed some light on a problem that my garage are struggling to fix. I have an 06 reg 407 (diesel) and on my dash I keep getting a warning saying, Speed Control System Faulty. Any body shed any light on this ? :confused:

·
Registered
256 Posts
The break switch circuit is remaining open, it should be closed so this error will appear, you need to fit a new brake pedal switch easy to do, takes about half the hour!!:thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I have a Peugeot 407 SE Auto and I also get the Speed Control System Faulty error message. Has the fix listed above been confirmed to work?

Thanks, Dan.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Peugeot 407 Speed Control System Faulty

I have the same message on my Peugeot 407 (2007). I have to drive to Birmingham and back from Poole and do not have time to have it rectified. Is this fault critical to the safety of the car? Can somebody advise me?

G

·
Should be OK to drive but I'd ensure brake lights work if it is the switch that's at fault.

Peugeot Planet owner, Doncaster

·
Registered
9 Posts
Speed Control System Faulty

Many thanks for that.
Strangely enough, I was out in the car today and surprise surprise the error did not reappear, but I will check the brake lights anyway. Many thanks again. Pete

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
I retrofitted cruise control to both of my 307's and both came up with the speed control error. In both cases it was the brake switch. The later models have a single switch unit with two switches, one for the brake lights and the other for the cruise control. Earlier models have two separate switches for the brake lights and cruise. It is the cruise switch that fails bringing up the error. A cheap fix and the switches are readily available from ECP and other places for a tenner or less.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I changed both brake and clutch switches to no effect on my 407, it still appears. I tried every suggestion to no avail. It would be good to get a fix for it after 3 years.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
I changed both brake and clutch switches to no effect on my 407, it still appears. I tried every suggestion to no avail. It would be good to get a fix for it after 3 years.
Any errors on a diagnostic ? Noticed from you sig that it has the limiter - any chance it could be the accelerator pedal ?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Nothing on diags, I tried re-installing, you name it. Changed the accelerator pedal to the switched one for limiter cut off, still no good.I gave up and lived with it. It only goes if the car stops and ignition is switched off and back on, till the next time. Tried switching off and on while the wheels were still turning but fault remains until wheels are stationary. Speed impulse sender? Not changed that.
Hope your feeling better Storeman?

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Nothing on diags, I tried re-installing, you name it. Changed the accelerator pedal to the switched one for limiter cut off, still no good.I gave up and lived with it. It only goes if the car stops and ignition is switched off and back on, till the next time. Tried switching off and on while the wheels were still turning but fault remains until wheels are stationary. Speed impulse sender? Not changed that.
Hope your feeling better Storeman?
If the speed sensor was an issue wouldn't that start throwing up ABS / ESP errors as well?

Feeling a lot better now the Doc has given me some decent pain killers. Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
That's good to hear.
Nothing gives the solution to this problem, I could try a new impulse generator if it's a replaceable module. Our Mike has had the car for 6 months, I'll ask him if the fresh ecu has fixed it, if not ill look into getting one just to see if it works. I'm not getting ABS/ESP faults presently.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Certainly worth a look Martin, that's somewhere fresh to check, I wouldn't have thought of that.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Word of warning , if anyone is removing this spring , put a couple of strong cable ties on it first , otherwise it`ll take out your eye or the back window :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts