Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way of laterally adjusting the dipped headlights on the 407 saloon. I have checked the mechanical fixings to the body panels, and the physical alignment is reasonable to the rest of the front wings and panels. At the moment, the self leveling is working OK, but the beams appear to shine well to the sides of the road, but the center of the road 50 yards ahead is dark. I often have to use main beam approaching roundabouts, to see the junction if there are no street lamps. I have only had this vehicle since February this year, there has been no accident damage during its lifetime, and was laid up unused for several years before I purchased it. In most other ways it is almost as new and an excellent drive for the long distances I normally cover. 25k to date. Both headlights appear to be offset by the same amount, but main beam shines directly ahead as normal. any suggestions would be very welcome,as P do not appear to want to investigate but will supply and fit new lights, which I do not think is the problem.- H.1.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Is there any way of laterally adjusting the dipped headlights on the 407 saloon. I have checked the mechanical fixings to the body panels, and the physical alignment is reasonable to the rest of the front wings and panels. At the moment, the self leveling is working OK, but the beams appear to shine well to the sides of the road, but the center of the road 50 yards ahead is dark. I often have to use main beam approaching roundabouts, to see the junction if there are no street lamps. I have only had this vehicle since February this year, there has been no accident damage during its lifetime, and was laid up unused for several years before I purchased it. In most other ways it is almost as new and an excellent drive for the long distances I normally cover. 25k to date. Both headlights appear to be offset by the same amount, but main beam shines directly ahead as normal. any suggestions would be very welcome,as P do not appear to want to investigate but will supply and fit new lights, which I do not think is the problem.- H.1.
which lights do you have halogen or xenon.

·
Registered
424 Posts
sounds like xenon if they have self-levelling

have you checked to make sure you have the correct bulbs fitted, I'm not sure what standard xenon bulbs are

·
5,028 Posts
Take it to local garage/mot Centre and get the lights set up on the proper Machine.if you mess yourself you risk blinding oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bulbs are Xenon they give a whiter light than the main beam. I have had the levels checked at a peugeot main agents, who say they are at the correct levels, but say I must get used to it... This is not the answer which I can accept... After driving a multitude of vehicles world wide for more than 50 years. There must be a logical answer.

·
5,028 Posts
Other than having them set to blind oncoming motorists I don't see a solution. Maybe find someone with same car and find a dark carpark and park side by side to see if there is a difference

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Trem, yes I have already done that, and I have driven other 407's before I purchased this one. It is a RHD uk car and had never been out of the country before I purchased it. The difference in beam lateral angle is substantial, not marginal. There is no obvious signs of previous interference, and may have been like it from new, which would explain why the previous owner did such very low mileage and eventually abandoned driving it. (he could obviously afford it). I have noticed that the interior of the headlight unit has moving parts and may have been (with respect)assembled incorrectly. Can I remove a headlight unit complete without dismanteling most of the front of the car.??? Harold1.

·
5,028 Posts
Is it set up as rhd or lhd now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
is there not a lever, on the back of the unit,
which moves them between LHD, central, RHD?
I'm not sure if it's my current Pug that's like this
or a previous one.

I don't find dipped particularly fantastic on mine
but the "driving" lights help

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi dave, Trem, and Rennie, The dip or low level lights shine well to the sides of the road, by an equal amount each side, and reach about 100 meters or slightly more ahead. but the center of the road 50 meters ahead is dark. When I first start in the dark, the lights set level automatically. The main beam,will shine ahead as normal, the low level or dip still stays on .(I believe this is now normal arrangement.. the car is set up from new as RHD and has never been altered, the level was checked at a Pug main dealer shortly after purchase, when I complained of the difficulty, they said the levels were correct but could not provide any answer to the beam lateral angle. I don't get flashed by other drivers at night UK or Europe.. The intensity of dip lights is more than adequate if only they shined in the right direction. I cant see a lever anywhere to change from RHD to LHD. Does the front bumper panel have to be removed completely to get to the light unit fixings, or can it merely be loosened at the top. any suggestion would be very welcome to correct this inconvenient problem. The part number labels are still visible on the light units and I am told they are the correct ones for this vehicle. (2007, 407, 2.7HDI Auto, version 6DUHZJ, Gold).

·
Registered
424 Posts
you might be able to loosen it at the top but the hardest bolts to reach are on the side of the bumper behind the wings, so if you're doing them it's not much more effort to remove completely

·
5,028 Posts
I think we need a photo of this to try and help us.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi dave, Trem, and Rennie, The dip or low level lights shine well to the sides of the road, by an equal amount each side, and reach about 100 meters or slightly more ahead. but the center of the road 50 meters ahead is dark. When I first start in the dark, the lights set level automatically. The main beam,will shine ahead as normal, the low level or dip still stays on .(I believe this is now normal arrangement.. the car is set up from new as RHD and has never been altered, the level was checked at a Pug main dealer shortly after purchase, when I complained of the difficulty, they said the levels were correct but could not provide any answer to the beam lateral angle. I don't get flashed by other drivers at night UK or Europe.. The intensity of dip lights is more than adequate if only they shined in the right direction. I cant see a lever anywhere to change from RHD to LHD. Does the front bumper panel have to be removed completely to get to the light unit fixings, or can it merely be loosened at the top. any suggestion would be very welcome to correct this inconvenient problem. The part number labels are still visible on the light units and I am told they are the correct ones for this vehicle. (2007, 407, 2.7HDI Auto, version 6DUHZJ, Gold).

if you have factory xenon's you will have headlight washers,
no headlight washers they are not factory xenon's
picture of the lever to alter RHD to LHD only on factory xenon's
please note I have turned the picture clockwise so you can see it in the picture the lever is at the top between the two screws this will be on the left hand side of the light.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Brian, sorry for the delay but I had to go to Portugal. I have looked very carefully at the light units, the part No is "0 301 213 671 L and 0 301 213 672 R " the dip beam bulb is definately Xenon, it is a much larger unit with what appears to be a lense attached to the front end. it is mounted on a fixed bracket and retained with a black plastic nurled rim ring. it is not remotely like your photograph and I cant see any similar lever anywhere. Incidently I found an old brochure for this car which states that Xenons are standard although there are no washers.- I have adjusted the level down a fraction, which has improved the forward view very slightly, but further adjustment makes no difference..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
one further point, the headlight units, are a totally enclosed unit with a removable black rubber slide on disc on both the dip and main beam sections to change bulbs, ( if you have fingers small enough) I have removed both covers, to see the inside with a mirror. it is nothing like your photograph. Incidently this version came from the factory fitted with 18" aluminium wheels, but no headlight washers, it may be a clue to some special version.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Brian, sorry for the delay but I had to go to Portugal. I have looked very carefully at the light units, the part No is "0 301 213 671 L and 0 301 213 672 R " the dip beam bulb is definately Xenon, it is a much larger unit with what appears to be a lense attached to the front end. it is mounted on a fixed bracket and retained with a black plastic nurled rim ring. it is not remotely like your photograph and I cant see any similar lever anywhere. Incidently I found an old brochure for this car which states that Xenons are standard although there are no washers.- I have adjusted the level down a fraction, which has improved the forward view very slightly, but further adjustment makes no difference..
hi Harold

the headlights are the same part number as mine.
I have loaded some more photo's of the drivers side RHD headlight take the big round cover off the back, looking from the back you can see the lever I have put a screwdriver on it (please note mine is set for use abroad LHD flat beam) yours could be set higher up if you zoom in you will see the two settings o and t

Attachments

·
5,028 Posts
has anyone checked servicebox for your car ??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Brian, thanks for your last photos, I had to borrow a miniature video camara to get a proper look inside the units. They are not identical to yours, but I found the lever you referred to. they were both in the down position. I shielded each light individually, first I moved the nearside lever to up, there was a marked difference and the beam moved towards the center. next I moved the driving side to up and the beam moved even more to the right. I returned it to the down position, and have tolerable dipped lights.. I am now beginning to believe that the driver side dipped unit may have been slightly damaged at some time in the past and never corrected. At least now I will be able to see ahead..- I am amazed that the pug main agents, both in the UK and Spain do not appear to know about this control.. I only asked one Pug dealer in France, for help, who was most off putting..- Thanks once again for your help and patience. Perhaps this will also help other pug owners going foreign, to comply with light regulations. Rgds Harold1.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi trem1, thanks for your interest as well, Oils and filters have been changed as due, although I do not have a drivers book, with the entry stamps. The most recent just prior to going to Portugal last week. There is virtually nothing on the Pug computer for this car other than its initial service. I have gone through the motions of checking, in France its not on their records at all, in Spain it is on record when sold and who to but nothing else, in the UK it also shows the first service. I purchased the car at just under 36 k miles, 25k of this was done during the first twelve months, and very little since according to the MOT listing. Its a fine car and drives well for the regular long distances I travel. (about 20k since February). The dipped headlights were beginning to become a serious deterrent to night driving. Hopefully Brians suggestions, will have cured the problem. Thanks once again for all the interest, to everyone.. harold1.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts