Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
11 Apr 2005 407 (HDi models) There is a risk of a manufacturing non conformity on the fuel injection diesel return pipe. This may lead to the possibility of fuel seepage

C

·
0 Posts
What, including the post 2007 models with the modified joint and hub? It's a swivel joint, not a ball joint, and unless the stub on the hub fractures (and there is no recorded instance of this occuring) then it's not a safety concern, so why a recall. My joints lasted 4 years and when I replaced them as a precautionary measure last year the originals were fine, so why also recall a load of cars with no problems. We need to keep some of this in perspective. Act hysterically, and the importers'll treat us as the loonies who's behaviour we're imitating.

My tyres wore out last year, so I propose by that measure all 407s should be recalled to have new tyres fitted for free (yes please!).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Recalls

Yes maybe I was a bit reactive but who would'nt be Ive only owned the car for less than two weeks. However Peugeot must admit that there is a design issue with that component which they have addressed. If not recall but a fix IF your BJ's are gone well that would be a possible compramise and I agree Id like a new set of tyres too didnt realise they were an odd ball size correct me if Im wrong the proper actual tyre size should be 215 x 45 x R17 W (Rated)? As part of my purchase of the car the owner said hed had a puncture on the day of sale (yeah right) Took it to my local Tyre repair guy and he said he only got that size of tyre in to order as the tyre couldnt be repaired cos the previous owner had egged the wall of the tyre so I had to lash out the dosh again for a new one. The car is right now apart from my amber display in which the lcd screen bleeds as it gets warm doh!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newspaperman said:
Yes maybe I was a bit reactive but who would'nt be Ive only owned the car for less than two weeks. However Peugeot must admit that there is a design issue with that component which they have addressed. If not recall but a fix IF your BJ's are gone well that would be a possible compramise and I agree Id like a new set of tyres too didnt realise they were an odd ball size correct me if Im wrong the proper actual tyre size should be 215 x 45 x R17 W (Rated)? As part of my purchase of the car the owner said hed had a puncture on the day of sale (yeah right) Took it to my local Tyre repair guy and he said he only got that size of tyre in to order as the tyre couldnt be repaired cos the previous owner had egged the wall of the tyre so I had to lash out the dosh again for a new one. The car is right now apart from my amber display in which the lcd screen bleeds as it gets warm doh!

The balljoint issue is a concern to me too. For such a component to break under such circumstances (two pothole incidents, not bad ones either) is unacceptable.

C

·
0 Posts
Newspaperman said:
yes, you're wrong. Standard tye size on the 17s is 215 55/17, but some people are tight and fit 50s or 45s to save money. This only serves to mess up the gearing, ruin the ride and help give the suspension components a further hammering. If people can't afford to run a larger car properly, they should go buy something else.

·
Registered
16 Posts
All 407's should be recalled because of the serious Balljoint issue never mind anything else
Thats interesting My Wifes 407 is making a banging noise when turning. They said there was play in the ball joints when her car had an MOT.

Mine has just had a metal pipe replaced with a plastic one under recal when I took it in for MOT

J

·
0 Posts
A software update doesn't really warrant a recall.

You will get them from Peugeot though when having the car serviced.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When I rang peugeot the other day about the query with isofix, they took my reg and asked me if I was aware my car had been recalled for this software update and told me I needed to book it in??

·
Registered
27 Posts
407 sw Design Problems

Just thought I would add a bit more info:
1) The ball joint is not a ball joint it is a swivel joint using a casting and sealed roller bearing which loses it lubricant and fails, should never have been designed with such a bearing.
2) Tyre pressure sensors very very expensive device why because poor garage outlets need your cash for a few minutes programming and charge you loads. The sensor will fail because of poor materials in its manufacture.
3) Security wheel nuts, tyre fitters use impact tools to speed up work but on occasions will wreck your security wheel nut. The top is designed to fracture should a left hand threaded remover is used my advice is bin em I nearly had to literally cut a wheel off because of some idiot with an impact tool over tightening the wheel nut and in the process making removal impossible with Peugeot's tool. Thirty minutes careful use of a air chisel did eventually work due to the skillful operative.
I would ask you all to voice your concerns to the Peugeot Brothers in Paris as often as you can and maybe some of our comments will be heeded.

D

·
0 Posts
Ah now thats just complaining. Would you come on here if you had something good to say about your car. :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm Back

Yes I can say I like the car I bought it because I visit France and drive many miles there and the car is most comfortable to drive but it does not stop me making complaints on poor designs and rip off technology as I see many instances on the web where people have had the problems I have mentioned.:p

D

·
0 Posts
Put its not ONLY peugeot have these problems. There are far alot worse makes of cars out there eg most of the german stuff. They just have good marketing departments.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
27 Posts
Him Again

I am not from within the automotive business and I have little knowledge of other cars other than the ones I have owned and I would say over the last twenty years or so the advance on design and technology has been very good generally but getting information on specifics has been more difficult to get, such as ecu info, software etc. Marketing or Bull**** departments are a great problem as I know from experience.
At least my old trusty MG Midget works well without ecu's but I have stooped to install electronic ignition (saves on points) :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 407 is on 248 000km's and is a 2006 model and my original balljoints are still perfect.
you are the exception mine's on it's 4th set 109000 miles (174400km)

the easy way rectify this problem is to replace them with units fitted with ball bearings as they last a lot longer than oe roller bearings.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts