Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So my 407 developed this fault in one go.

There are no front lights at all.. no side no main no anything (rears all work)

The interior fan reads as working but does not

The starter doesn't work from the key (but will from a direct battery to solenoid feed and car will start and run)

ABS not working on display

Traction control not working on display

Air bag fault on display

No wipers

No horn

Maybe other things not working but above are the main I can think of.

Any and all ideas welcome

Thanks Peter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what we thought so I went ahead and bought a new fuse box from Peugeot. Made no difference though.

Wondered if it could be Body Control Module not sending a message to fuse box to close a relay??

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
Did you check all the big fuses UNDER the fusebox while it was out also check all the earths around that area inner wing behind headlights there are many earths

If engine can run then everything SHOULD work as the BSI is allowing engine to run so is sending signals ok

All those faults could be a missing power or earth common to everything

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked all the large fuses and all good. I'll pull all the earths tomorrow and reaffix them all.

Should all the large fuses be live with the ignition on do you know?

Thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
I would say yes most will be live never actually had a need to test them though

Switching of power works in a strange way on these as if the power is OFF the wipers run they need a power feed to turn them off !!

Not 100% sure but all go through underbonnet fusebox except air bag and possibly heater

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so started looking this morning checking earths etc and fuses.

Found F14 10amp fuse blown in glove box blown. Replaced the fuse and it blew again. However place a second in with everything off and didn't blow. Car started and began to try all the systems that didn't work before. Currently it is starting running and all systems working.

Any suggestions as to what may of blown the fuse?

·
Registered
111 Posts
F14 fuse

Ok so started looking this morning checking earths etc and fuses.

Found F14 10amp fuse blown in glove box blown. Replaced the fuse and it blew again. However place a second in with everything off and didn't blow. Car started and began to try all the systems that didn't work before. Currently it is starting running and all systems working.

Any suggestions as to what may of blown the fuse?
According to my 407 handbook for my 2009 407sw sr it is quote,drivers electric seat,instrument panel,air con control panel,air bags control unit,It is also a 15amp fuse mine has not got electric rear windows which makes a difference for some reason.Hope this helps you.pete407sw:thumb:

·
Registered
177 Posts
You say the faults all occured at the same time. What were you doing, was it driving, about to start, parked? The answer to why may be there. Let us know.

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was being driven along in the wind with the wipers on. The wipers stopped and then it wouldn't start etc as above.

The fuse f14 controls the wiper relay and also the other fuse boxes so I'm guessing the wipers overloaded the relay an blew the fuse. That said I can't prove that is what caused it so feel a little uneasy as to wether or not the problem is cured.

Probably is but time will tell.

Anyway wanted to post what we had found incase this is useful to someone else. Nothing worse than reading a post with exactly the same problem and the the solution isn't posted lol.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It's scary to think one fuse could affect all those items. I had a look at the Haynes but couldn't make sense of it. Glad you sorted it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
407 No starter/front lights/fanetc

Hi, glad you got car going again,.Have you tried using wipers since fuse changed ? Just wondered if they were causing fuse to blow by overloading,, best way to check is to use wipers on a dry windscreen, then if fuse blew again you would know wiper motor was on way out,,at least you would be able to check it out before you actually needed to use them while you were driving..just make sure you got another fuse just in case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks and yes.

Run them in all settings in a dry screen. Tried loading the while car by running everything I could and all seems fine. I'll come back and post if it's does blow again but so far so good. It was a foul night when it blew so it may even have been a gust of wind that overload the wiper motor but not sure.

Fingers crossed and thanks for the input :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick update.

Been driving the car in and off for the last few days and all seems good! Hard to believe a 10pence fuse caused so much trouble lol.

I'll update again if anything changes!

Thanks again for everyone's input!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts