Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
407 New transponder fitted, central locking now not working

I had someone as explained in my previous thread come out and fix my transponder issue.

What he did was test the current transponder and it was not picked up, so the transponder was dead.

He then coded a new transponder which is not the same as the one on the original key,
and added it through the BSI. It works great.

But now my central locking does not work, i followed the procedure whereas you need to switch on the ignition, press the lock button for 10 seconds, release it , remove the key, press the remote buttons several times, then turn on the ignition again, but it still does not work.

I also did a BSI reset and tried again, and it still does not work.

Is the cause the new transponder ? The central locking did work before.

·
Registered
812 Posts
There's three parts to a key. The key blade which actuates the locks. The immobiliser chip i.e the transponder and finally the remote locks circuitry. If he has replaced the key with a new circuit board, the transponder will be coded into the BSI but not the remote lock circuitry which is a separate device and hence remote central locking won't work.

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
The remote will not work again as the chip and remote are coded to the car when new and once coded for the first time they are married forever so he has now divorced them by fitting the replacement transponder its just 1 of the issues with peugeot keys.

ONLY fix is a complete new virgin key coded in then that remote will work but your current 1 can never work again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
wow, never knew this would be the case.

So even though before the transponder replacement, the central locking circuitry worked.
Because the old transponder was simply replaced the key circuitry is useless ?

(sorry i take it from the replies that this is what you guys are saying, it's just hard to let it sink in as it worked just fine before :sad:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's three parts to a key. The key blade which actuates the locks. The immobiliser chip i.e the transponder and finally the remote locks circuitry. If he has replaced the key with a new circuit board, the transponder will be coded into the BSI but not the remote lock circuitry which is a separate device and hence remote central locking won't work.
He replaced it with the old circuit board, the transponder is new.

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
Thats why it wont work the transponder the remote relates to is now no longer stored in the BSI memory so neither is the remotes codes they are paired TOGETHER and only work together.

When you code the transponder ALL old codes are wiped and this includes the matching remotes as i say the remote will never work again

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link, i will definitely look at this.
How do you connect and program this to the BSI, does it not need to be paired with the transponder ?

I assume it's a locksmith type job, removing the door panels, and disabling the central locking in the BSI ?

When i manually lock the car with the door key, does the alarm initialize ?
i noticed when doing this, the side door mirrors is not folding in, it only folds in with the remote

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also if i want to add a new virgin key will it render the transponder that it saved in the ecu now useless ? As everytime you add a new key it deletes the old transponder in memory and makes it invalid ?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There are three systems in the key:
* the blade,
* the remote central locking, and
* the immobiliser.

As far as I understand it they are completely separate from eachother.

The immobiliser system is required to start the car.
When you put the key in the ignition an aerial around the ignition barrel reads the ID46 chip in the key and if it is paired to the BSI then the BSI 'unlocks' the engine ECU and allows the car to start.

Once a key has been paired to a BSI (using the 4 letter code) it cannot then be paired to an other BSI. (I have witnessed this on a 207 where we had two BSIs and three keys.)

The remote central locking is programmed by the key-in-the-ingition-and-holding-the-button procedure that you describe and which is described in the handbook.

I had only 1 key so I bought a new key off eBay. I was able to pair it to the car and thus it starts the car. However, for me too the remote central locking will not programme on the new key; both keys start the car but only one (un)locks remotely.

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
If you get a COMPLETE new key then it will both work remotely AND start the car if the current key is also programmed in with the new key at the same time it will start the car but not lock it remotely.

Cant really make this much clearer you can have up to 6 keys coded in to a car i believe but if you reprogram ANY KEY only the ones present and reprogrammed at that time will still work

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
How many times do people need to say this........

The id46 chip inside the none flip keys is matched to the remote fob when programmed.....

That means you can only program the id46 chip and remote fob to 1 bsi(car) but you can program it to the same bsi(car) as many times as you like.....

If you put a new id46 chip in on old key without also changing the remote pcb to a new one THE REMOTE WILL NOT WORK!!!!!! unless you program the old chip back into the car, by old chip I mean the one that was in the key when it was programmed.

When you program a new you all the old keys also need to be programmed other wise they get deleted from the car, if a key is deleted from a car it can be reprogrammed back to the car it was originally programmed to but it can't be programmed to another car.

Newer flip keys have the id46 chip on the remote pcb (read chip on pcb, one will say pcf7936), if you have correct equipment these can be renewed and reused.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts