Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is how i changed my 407 bottom balljoint....also known as a frip joint
first along with a clunk when turning 'lock to lock' this rust is a sure sign of wear

First Tools Needed for the job........
Suitable Jack And Axle Stand....
e-sockets E18 & E14
Torx T30 & T55
5mm allen key
13mm socket or ring spanner
16mm socket and ring spanner
18mm socket and ring spanner
35mm socket
Dremmel
cup of coffee
jack up the car and find a suitable place for axlestand remove wheel and store safely,remove cage from driveshaft nut and using 35mm socket while helper presses brake undo nut.next move onto the caliper, undo the two 13mm nuts

this allows you to swing the caliper out of the way please remember to support it dont let it hang on the brake pipe,next undo the two t55 torx to release the caliper carrier,

brake disc next, remove the two T30 torx bolts and remove the disc(this may need a bit of persuading with a rubber mallet) we removed the abs sensor bolts next be careful its an allen key NOT torx

·
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so now your car should look like this

my abs sensor was stuck solid so we left it where it was but we did undo the 16mm track rod end nut ans separate by hitting with a hammer rather than a balljoint splitter(always split the rubber with them things)
undo the bottom arm bolt its 16mm one side and 18m the other and its very tight, this allows you to pull the hub towards you allowing access to the three torx bolts holding the balljoint to suspension arm the two outside bolts are E18 and the middle one's E14 for some reason, when you've undone them the balljoint will probably fall off (mine did) leaving the inner race attached to the hub, we couldnt get a puller in anywere so i just very carefull cut a slot part way through with my dremmel making sure i didnt go all the way i then wedged a screwdriver in the slot (yes i know but it was close) hit it gently with a hammer and the race split in two

i then cleaned everything thoroughly offered up the new balljoint which needed a bit of persuading with a rubber mallet and reversed the process to rebuid
Took about two hours all in and that was taking my time so i didnt break anything

And finally the difference between old and new

hope this helps,ask any questions and i'll try and answer them:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
GReat post!!!

My 407 has just failed its MOT and after being quoted £250 for the job I thought I should do it myself. I have a bit of engineering experience (I am an engineer in the RAF and have fixed Harriers, Typhoon and Tornado's) but I havent really worked on my cars much. I was going to get the spares off ebay (£54.99 for a pair) and was going to do the job on my drive, is it really as straight forward as your post and is there any advice you can give me???

·
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GReat post!!!

My 407 has just failed its MOT and after being quoted £250 for the job I thought I should do it myself. I have a bit of engineering experience (I am an engineer in the RAF and have fixed Harriers, Typhoon and Tornado's) but I havent really worked on my cars much. I was going to get the spares off ebay (£54.99 for a pair) and was going to do the job on my drive, is it really as straight forward as your post and is there any advice you can give me???
from your experience above this job is well within your remit, it really is just unbolt everything you need to and bolt the new parts back on, i would allow yourself an hour for each side and that should give you plenty of time bearing in mind the second side will fly through.Make sure you have the 35/36 mm socket for the driveshaft nut and a dremmel type thing to cut the inner race off or a junior hacksaw will do.
enjoy and marvel at how much money you've saved at the end of it:nod:

let us know how you get on and any pitfalls/problems you may encounter
Trem

·
Registered
190 Posts
Got to say Trem i think mine are on the way out. Im by no means a mechanic but i am tempted to have a go myself. Great post , detailed and precise. Thank you:thumb:

·
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the question now is do I pay £70 each for the parts i.e. £140 a pair or do I get them off ebay for £60 a pair????
IS there a question in that post ?????????Not that i can see:lol::lol:

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Was thinking that they must be cheap for a reason... wouldn't want to be doing the same job next year!!
alright mate, dont know if you have tried but see if you can get a quote from your local motor factors ie unipart and andrew page...might get cheaper and faster...dealers add ££'s to them to make a massive profit margin. they use the same things but add a "stamp" to say its genuine. :thumb:

·
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was thinking that they must be cheap for a reason... wouldn't want to be doing the same job next year!!
well mine have lasted, must be a couple of years now at least AND the came in peugeot/citroen boxes so mine were same as original

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just to let you know a gg came in over the weekend and was kind enough to pay for the work to be done for me!! Happy days!
All in £250... slightly better than Pugs £400!
I'll let you know how I get on changing them next year!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
done both of mine myself and sure you dont need to undo the big drive shaft nut, used a strap round inside of lower arm and piviot assembly to stop me pulling drive shaft all the way out and loosing oil.
Didnt get from ebay, as I thought they may be seconds,local auto spares shop for £55 each.

·
Registered
217 Posts
done both of mine myself and sure you dont need to undo the big drive shaft nut, used a strap round inside of lower arm and piviot assembly to stop me pulling drive shaft all the way out and loosing oil.
Didnt get from ebay, as I thought they may be seconds,local auto spares shop for £55 each.
Hi Bryan, how did you undo the three studs without undoing the driveshaft nut? Mine have properly failed this morn so i will be changing this eve but I'm too tight to buy a 36mm socket! I've had it up on the jack in my dinner hour but couldn't see how to get to the three bolts without pulling the hub forward!

Any tips would be mucho appreciated ta

·
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
whereabouts are you fhmboy??? ive got a socket you can borrow if your anywhere near me.....tyneside

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Bryan, how did you undo the three studs without undoing the driveshaft nut? Mine have properly failed this morn so i will be changing this eve but I'm too tight to buy a 36mm socket! I've had it up on the jack in my dinner hour but couldn't see how to get to the three bolts without pulling the hub forward!

Any tips would be mucho appreciated ta
there are 2 sizes, middle one is a size or 2 smaller, I got the socket set from Machine Mart. Undo and remove the bolt through the lower arm and leaver the lower arm down with a pry bar (second person helps) and you can then get the socket on the front bolt, middle and rear bolts can be reached without a problem. Get a luggadge strap round the rear side of the casting that the drive shaft goes through, and the other end round the inside end of the lower arm to stop the drive shaft pulling out when you leaver the lower arm down, you will end up with oil on your drive if you dont:mad::thumb:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just to let you know a gg came in over the weekend and was kind enough to pay for the work to be done for me!! Happy days!
All in £250... slightly better than Pugs £400!
I'll let you know how I get on changing them next year!!
would have still done it and not paid for them to be done, they are fairly easy to do, its just if you have the tools, but worth buying what you need as you will use them again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
did you manage it?

Hi we now have similar problem, did you manage to do this by yourself with the instructions given. Be very interest to know. We just been quoted £400 plus VAT for the job. Sorry just read above and saw you never did do job. Pity think will get my husband to give it a go

GReat post!!!

·
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi we now have similar problem, did you manage to do this by yourself with the instructions given. Be very interest to know. We just been quoted £400 plus VAT for the job. Sorry just read above and saw you never did do job. Pity think will get my husband to give it a go
wherabouts are you ??? someone maybe even me may be close enough to help, pop over

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys new on here so a big hello.... i'm just going to my lower ball joint bought one side for 63 quid including the vat..bit steep but hey how. if you have the tools to do it yourselves then at least you can pay for the proper ball joints dont scrimp on these. but you can save your money on labour by doing it yourself..
Ps as for pictures on this topic at the start, Great pics and thanks very much I've not done peugeot b4 i have done Renaults so this is my 1st time:thumb: i will let you all know if there is anything i can add to this topic in way of help that has not been mentioned...:):)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts