Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To all 407 drivers,if you havent checked or had checked the lower ball joints,i would advise you do so,these things are failing at less than 30k,just had mine done today,this is a known and potentially dangerous fault,psa are not admitting it (yet) but there is no quibble getting them done under warranty.GET THEM CHECKED.......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ball joints

Hi,
I recently (3 weeks ago) purchased a 407 sw executive from a non Peugeot dealer. The car had a problem with the wing mirrer not folding in,The dealer had given me a 6 months gold warrenty and i took it to get repaired at my local peugeot dealer last Sat. while the mechanic had the car he done a full check and yes he found one of the front ball joints had gone. The warrenty company wont pay as they said it is wear and tear and would have been caused befor i purchased the car so its has cost me £170.00 My car has 59000 miles on so could expect the other one to go shortly, do they normally go in pairs or am i jumping to a problem that does not exist.

Sorry the car is a 2005 model and up to now i love all the toys (when i find out how to work them)

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bigmike52 said:
Hi,
I recently (3 weeks ago) purchased a 407 sw executive from a non Peugeot dealer. The car had a problem with the wing mirrer not folding in,The dealer had given me a 6 months gold warrenty and i took it to get repaired at my local peugeot dealer last Sat. while the mechanic had the car he done a full check and yes he found one of the front ball joints had gone. The warrenty company wont pay as they said it is wear and tear and would have been caused befor i purchased the car so its has cost me £170.00 My car has 59000 miles on so could expect the other one to go shortly, do they normally go in pairs or am i jumping to a problem that does not exist.

Sorry the car is a 2005 model and up to now i love all the toys (when i find out how to work them)

Thanks
Mike

If for no other reason than peace of mind i would get them both done,one of mine was really gone and the other was starting to rust (supposedly a water tight joint!!) so i got the pair of them done under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ball Joints 407

the moose said:
To all 407 drivers,if you havent checked or had checked the lower ball joints,i would advise you do so,these things are failing at less than 30k,just had mine done today,this is a known and potentially dangerous fault,psa are not admitting it (yet) but there is no quibble getting them done under warranty.GET THEM CHECKED.......

I can confirm that I failed my 1st MOT due to a ball joint, initially I thought my local garage was ripping me off until I saw it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
the moose said:
Is this a problem throughout the range?:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
carman said:
Is this a problem throughout the range?:

YES PSA are not saying its a problem (yet), i have a friend who is a master techician at Peugeot and he reckons they are doing 10-15 cars a week,GET THEM CHECKED PEOPLE BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all, I recommend you take note of the mouses post, had nine done about a month ago on warranty, car has done 28,000 miles !!!!.

Also in response to bigmike52 yes they normally do go in pairs.

My 407 had one changed by the dealer after my initial complaint, they told me that the other side could not be changed yet as peugeot require 3mm of play on the ball joint to be classed as faulty, although it was making a right noise banging and making the steering just feel wrong. luckily the problem was solve On my way home the steering gave up and I got a nice thudding and clunking noise under breaking and a feeling that the car was very unsafe, I was not happy being allowed to drive away from the dealers with the car in that condition. but hey its sorted now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 54 407 saloon and the lower ball joints are trashed.on mine they are a funny looking design it looks like the susp leg just sits in the ball joint any ideas are they expensive

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dealer denying problem

I have an 05 407SW and my main dealer (Arbury Peugeot) is denying there is any problem with these joints. However a non-Peugeot garage has told me they are well known in the trade as a dangerously inadequate design and the whole hub has been redesigned to eliminate the problem. He told me there has been a recall which the Peugeot dealer is also denying. The hubs are £320 a throw plus fitting. so its not a minor issue.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just replaced a lower wishbone on my 206 due to the rubber joint falling apart. (On the 206, the lower balljoint is part of the lower wishbone assembly)
The repacement (take-off) I fitted seemed ok - but - still knocking!

I traced it to the ball-joint pin that should be clamped by the hub.
It was loose - even when overtorqued !
As an Engineer I mic'ed it, and found it to be a full 0.5mm undersize.

There was a batch that were produced with undersize pins - I checked.:eek:

I got another sent out next day - that was perfect, but I didn't expect faulty components - that had already come from a production vehicle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is a problem with these ball joints as the old types corrode. I had to wait 6 months for parts and while in France the service manager said this was a known issue. In England I was told the new redesigned ones will be ok. that was at 8000 miles, I have done 45000 and there is no problem. Mine were replaced under warranty.

G

·
the moose said:
this is a known and potentially dangerous fault,psa are not admitting it (yet) but there is no quibble getting them done under warranty.GET THEM CHECKED.......
It isn't turning out to be dangerous - the excess play doesn't seem to be translating itself to the joint seperating and the wheel falling off an any 407 that I've yet come across. I have found one where the track rod end failed and left the car with only one steered wheel!

williduk said:
I have an 05 407SW and my main dealer (Arbury Peugeot) is denying there is any problem with these joints. However a non-Peugeot garage has told me they are well known in the trade as a dangerously inadequate design and the whole hub has been redesigned to eliminate the problem. He told me there has been a recall which the Peugeot dealer is also denying. The hubs are £320 a throw plus fitting. so its not a minor issue.
Almost...the new balljoint design won't fit onto the old hubs, so you need the redisgned hub from the later cars to fit it.

My 407 is just coming up for 30k miles with no tell-tale knocks just yet. I recently acquired 2 x genuine balljoints from ebay for £28 apiece, so if they start knocking away (as I expect they will eventually) then I'll swap them out myself if she's gone beyond the warranty. Takes about 90mins a side to do it only the floor. It's neither a difficult or expensive job if you're canny about sourcing the parts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just had one done @ 60000, cost £200. At this mileage round town, probably not unexpected. Dealer told me they believe the design was to eliminate bump steering and the handling is first class (that came up in early reviews?) but the design just wasn't strong enough, now redesigned.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2008 build 407; does anyone know if this would have the newer disigned ball join? I am thinking that this may have been part of the May07 updates.

Regards,

cogs
Life was much simpler in the '60's

G

·
2008, you should be safe. The hub was redesigned to protect the bearing from water ingress.

sonic, if you paid £200 for one joint they saw you coming old son. 2 joints are about £60 the pair, and take 90mins-2 hours a side to replace. It's and easy DIY job, although you'll need a bit of muscle if you're doing it on the floor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I replaced the NS lower ball joint last week on my 407 sw. I found the job fairly straight forward but quite awkward as I had to release the lower wishbone arm to gain access to the ball joint torx bolts. The problem with this was the drive shaft comes out of the gearbox which then drops about 1 litre of geabox oil which then presents you with the problem of having to top up your gearbox oil (problem in the way of not being able to find the top up bung on the box) All in all, the job took me about 4 hours but "bearing" in mind that I was doing the job on the path in the middle of a snow storm!

Chopper, where did you find lower ball joints at £60 a pair? I paid £75 for one and this was from my usual parts supplier who are the cheapest around for most stuff.

PS - Does anyone know where the top up bung is on a 407 2.0 hdi manual gearbox?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Such are the joys of living in the United Kingdom. Up here in sunny Australia, that means the job should take maybe 2 hours.

Fortunately I've only just just clocked up 20,000 km on Thursday (bought it on 09 April 09) and the ball joint problem apparently doesn't effect May07 ubdated vehicles.

Got to say though I've enjoyed every kilometer of driving it. Even my wife now prefers to drive My 407 to Her 307. The 307 is very zippy though.

Happy New Year

cogs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Forgot to mention I bought my 407 new in April 09. Peugeot Australia did a bad job of managing their vehicles for sale when the 2008 models hit our shores. The did not offer any run out discount for the 2007 model and in early 2009 had quite a number of 407 STs 12 months or more i=of age in their compound so I picked up a bargain. :thumb:
Regards

cogs
Life was so much simpler in the '60's.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts