Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 407 1.6HDi had both ball joints at the front replaced at 48,000 miles, not under warranty.

The car has now done 74,000 and has failed the MOT due to one of the ball joints having excessive play. (£189 to replace when it was £310 for both previously.

The dealer in Linwood state the part is only good for 12 months, it's now 18 months. So do I have to replace these every 18 months from now on ? I've asked them to contact Peugeot.

Would I have been better sourcing a non Peugeot part ?

G

·
Hi

The mileage you get really depends on several things:

• Quality of replacement part
  • State of roads driven and at what speed.
  • Amount of speed bumps we now cross each day

I would hazzard a guess that its the nearside front that needs replaced? That is so common because its that one that takes a hit when you hit a pothole!

Assuming the car is carefully driven, and that the ball joint dust seal is intact(!) I would expect 35-45K miles from a quality replacement at minimum.

I would not expect any real warranty with these things as nature of drive has too much bearing on its life.

As an aside, I think you should be able to get them replaced for much less that that you paid - most (and I have not checked 407 ones) are typically only £9-£20 to buy - perhaps worth finding a local independant repairer.

David

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info regarding pot holes etc.

Do you think there is equivalent parts for these as the best price for the ball joints is £80ish from Peugeot and Arnold Clark will fit it for a total of £171 compared £189 at Linwood plus a £27 retest fee.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
jadamcp said:
Thanks for the info regarding pot holes etc.

Do you think there is equivalent parts for these as the best price for the ball joints is £80ish from Peugeot and Arnold Clark will fit it for a total of £171 compared £189 at Linwood plus a £27 retest fee.
I bought a ball joint for £9 for a 307 , whats the difference in one for a 407 at £80?
gold plated?

G

·
Its worth having a quick search on GSFcarparts and eurocrparts too.... that will get a you a parts guide price... then whatever the garage charges for fitting... which should hopefully be no more than 60-90mins inc tea break...

David

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BettyS and David

Thanks for the update I'll try the 2 site you mentioned. Thanks again...

Jada

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update - I asked the garage to contact Peugeot for me as the ball joints were replaced 18 months ago

Peugeot gave me a 50% discount on both labour and parts so £166 for both to be replaced - supposedly thay are now modified parts that will last longer... here's hoping !

G

·
Hi

Thats a good compromise, given they should give you warranty on the new ones, and someone is doing the job for you.

David

·
Registered
11 Posts
have you troed euro car parts? thats were i got my genuine ones from for around halve the dealer price.

G

·
jadamcp said:
The dealer in Linwood state the part is only good for 12 months...
There are several factors to consider, but if you don't do interstellar mileages, drive daily across ploughed fields, or park knee deep in seawater each night, then a lifespan hugely in excess of a year can be expected. Indeed, the issue is far from universal and plenty of 407s reach high mileage maturity never needing them.

I mean, wouldn't it be simpler for their techies to don balaclavas and just kick the poop out of you and steal your wallet than have to suffer that kind of tosh?

I'd seriously steer clear of any dealer thick enough to believe that, or unscrupulous to try and get you to believe that!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts