Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, bought my first Peugeot today, a 407 SW S in black. It's a 2L petrol 5 speed.
Anywho to my question, I noticed on the way home from buying it that it jumps out of 3rd gear only. 1st and 5th are fine, as are 2, 4 & reverse.
Would this likely be an issue within the gearbox (broken selector, rounded dog teeth), a linkage issue (stretched, broken, loose) or (as the car had been sitting for almost a year before my buying it) low/empty gearbox oil?
Later today I'm gonna give it a thorough clean (inside and out), check the plugs, air filter, oil, coolant, gearbox oil and pump up the tyres (all 5 look/feel low, spare is totally flat), just to be sure everything else is working as it should.
Just as an afterthought, it jumps out above 2k while driving or if I'm stationary and keep blipping the throttle the gearstick will slowly slide further and further back until it settles in neutral, like someone is sitting in the back with a magnet lol
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
120 Posts
Things like this tend to happen due to general wear or premature wear of Mesh gears thru contamination. The syncro assemblies rely on a certain amount of friction for them to work efficiently and once the coating on the faces has been compromised with water then pretty significant failure occurs. Once in gear its not often they can be bounced out by loose selectors or linkages but its the first thing to check if you can get to it. As a first step I would do the simplest and change the oil. Drop it and check for emulsion in it; also check for metal bits in it or on the drain plug(magnetic hopefully). If all the obvious steps shows nothing then you may have to have it stripped down. I dont think its a combined gear so it may be a not too expensive job. I ll have a look-see for some schematics..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ps to my last.. I know this forum is a technical site where we all try to help each other understand our vehicles and hopefully fix them without expensive garage intervention but, as some quote on replies, it goes without saying that if a warranty is still in order then use it, especially in this case. Gearboxes are one of those things where very little can be fixed without complete removal and strip-down and time can be expensive if you are paying for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wish it was still under warranty but it's an 54 plate so no chance there.
Thanks for the advice though. Haven't had a chance to check much yet (too busy trying to get it to look black again). Oil is clean (recently replaced) as are the spark plugs (same as above).
Checked for any movement/looseness where the gear shift links meet the box (no movement) but not yet checked the gearbox oil (is there a dipstick or is it just drain & refil, checking for sludge/debris?).
Gonna see if I can see what's going on directly under the gear stick aswell, I've heard these cars can be a bit vague for gear shift but think this car is a 'lil much and could be, if not the cause, then a contributor to the above (possibly worn bush?)

·
2,608 Posts
Warranty from the seller you bought it from?..private or trade...cash/credit card....I think we know '407's wont have peugeot warranty and more....but you may have with the seller?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nah private cash sale advertised with the issue unfortunately.
I figured worst case was the gearbox was dead (or at least 3rd was) and spotted some gearboxes on the ol' bay for between £100 & £300 so if trial and error didn't work I'd just fit another 'box instead.
Should've mentionned before but I only paid £300 for the car anyway so not afraid to throw a bit of cash at it if necessary as it'll only help resell it when it's time for a change, though I'd rather not have to pay garage fees for something I can do myself.

·
Registered
120 Posts
When I say oil.. I mean gear oil, not engine oil. not trying to teach grandma to suck eggs but may have been misinterpretated. You are in the situation of repairs that cost more than the car so sell for parts etc. Even a used box from the auction site is going to out- price the vehicle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I figured but wanted to do the basic engine health checks before anything else. So it's a drain, check & replace job then as I can't for the life of me find a manual online for the petrol models (did they think no-one would buy one?).
I'm guessing regular oil or is it special gearbox oil like the auto?

·
5,034 Posts
petrol 407's arent the most common, neither is the 5 speed BUT i believe the 1.6 hdi was a 5 speed so maybe some owners over on FB with the 5 speed might be of use. I personally have had nothing to do with 5 speed in these cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts