Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello one and all. this is my first time here and i would be gratefull for all possative feedback. my car is a 407 1.6hdi sw estate 2005 i have just bought this car it has 78k on the clock, i bought it from a dealer, so i had a few jobs done before i took ownership, new cam belt, full sevice etc. i have noticed some really black oil just under the turbo, also now and again you can here a puffing sound comming from under the plastic cover on top of the engine, the list goes on, the ESP warning light has come on then gone off and no fault showing on the display, also the fan sometimes runs on after switching off the engine upto 15 mins sometimes, even after a short jorney. also i had a flat battery for no reason, and finnaly ,for now i can smell burnt fuel in the cabin and a diesely smell outside when i park it up. i thank you in advance if you help me with these issues. PS i have a warranty if nits needed

·
Registered
552 Posts
hello one and all. this is my first time here and i would be gratefull for all possative feedback. my car is a 407 1.6hdi sw estate 2005 i have just bought this car it has 78k on the clock, i bought it from a dealer, so i had a few jobs done before i took ownership, new cam belt, full sevice etc. i have noticed some really black oil just under the turbo, also now and again you can here a puffing sound comming from under the plastic cover on top of the engine, the list goes on, the ESP warning light has come on then gone off and no fault showing on the display, also the fan sometimes runs on after switching off the engine upto 15 mins sometimes, even after a short jorney. also i had a flat battery for no reason, and finnaly ,for now i can smell burnt fuel in the cabin and a diesely smell outside when i park it up. i thank you in advance if you help me with these issues. PS i have a warranty if nits needed
The puffing sound is your injector seals allowing exhaust gasses pass through, that's also why you can smell unburnt diesel and stuff. Get it sorted ASAP, as the longer it's left the more the mixture of carbon and diesel turns to a solid mass of crud, and makes the whole experience much, much worse. They're a fairly common problem until the modified seals are fitted.

The fan run on is also a common problem and can be sorted out by a software update from Peugeot, it's usually a result of failing to complete the regeneration process.

Finally the ABS wheel sensors can be slightly temperamental which is a sign on or more of them is giving up, however, it would depend on the circumstance because say for example your accelerating and you go over a bump the ESP comes on making it seem like a fault, but it's not.

Phil

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Also get them to check condition of Particle Filter and how much Eloys fluid is left in the reservoir , your mileage would indicate this will need attention shortly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi, phil thanks for the info will use it to tackle garage on tuesday, i have also noticed under the plastic cover where the injectors are a load of what can only be described as black tar like stuff , a bit like mastic that is shiney in places, have you any ideas what this is, thanks again for your help

The puffing sound is your injector seals allowing exhaust gasses pass through, that's also why you can smell unburnt diesel and stuff. Get it sorted ASAP, as the longer it's left the more the mixture of carbon and diesel turns to a solid mass of crud, and makes the whole experience much, much worse. They're a fairly common problem until the modified seals are fitted.

The fan run on is also a common problem and can be sorted out by a software update from Peugeot, it's usually a result of failing to complete the regeneration process.

Finally the ABS wheel sensors can be slightly temperamental which is a sign on or more of them is giving up, however, it would depend on the circumstance because say for example your accelerating and you go over a bump the ESP comes on making it seem like a fault, but it's not.

Phil

·
Registered
552 Posts
hi, phil thanks for the info will use it to tackle garage on tuesday, i have also noticed under the plastic cover where the injectors are a load of what can only be described as black tar like stuff , a bit like mastic that is shiney in places, have you any ideas what this is, thanks again for your help
That's the carbon/diesel mix I'm talking about, eventually it goes totally solid, and if your unfortunate like me, the injector doesn't come out and takes the sleeve from the head instead. Sounds like it's been chuffing for a while if you have a significant build up.

I'd encourage minimal use until you can get it in to be sorted out, as the job to replace the seal (I doubt they'd do them all, even though really they should) is straight forward.

Phil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts