Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 57 plate 407 hdi about a month ago and all has been well until this week. In the morning (or evening if the car has not been used all day) the first attempt at turning the ignition results in a rasping noise. On the second attempt it fires up as normal. This is happening every day now and I would be grateful if anyone could give me an idea as to what might be causing this.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I bought a 57 plate 407 hdi about a month ago and all has been well until this week. In the morning (or evening if the car has not been used all day) the first attempt at turning the ignition results in a rasping noise. On the second attempt it fires up as normal. This is happening every day now and I would be grateful if anyone could give me an idea as to what might be causing this.
could be just the starting motor being cold and/or belt?

where does the the noise seem to be coming from ie whereabouts in engine such as side, top, front?:thumb:

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
on the left side of the engine as you look into it from front, you have timing belt, drive belt, starter motor and alternator.

if it was timing you would have noticed by now as you will be suffering all the time with abd performance and a knackered engine.

drive belt and alternator tend to squeel when cold or on the way out

starter motor makes, as best as i can to describe it, a fast grinding noise if left running once ignition has taken place...it burns it out faster doing this. or so i am told:thumb:

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Starter motor , some day when you go to turn the car off it will rasp like hell and the car won`t turn off , don`t panic stick the car in a high gear and stall it , but between now and then start saving the pennies.:thumb:

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Starter motor , some day when you go to turn the car off it will rasp like hell and the car won`t turn off , don`t panic stick the car in a high gear and stall it , but between now and then start saving the pennies.:thumb:

i bought an alternator from here:

.: Starter Motor & Alternator Company - Car Parts :.

although you maybe after a starter motor, they also sell them. they are brand new, not refurbed...ford wanted £350 for a new alternator for my car, these sold the same one, from same makers, just without ford sticker for £126, goes to show how much they save you.:thumb:

just thought id give you a top tip and maybe some other users :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts