Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for an answer to a problem that is giving me a great headache! My 2007 407sw HDi 2.0 SE started juddering during acceleration and gear changes generally from 2nd to 3rd about 6 months ago. I took it in for a full service as it was due and had all filters changed and oil. Misfired and juddered when I le the garage but then was fine shortly after.

For about two weeks after it has been like a new car, problem solved I thought, maybe the filters just needed changing. But then at least once every other journey it would misfire/judder as if there is lack of power for a split second. Today (11/12/2011) it has just gone back to its old annoying ways again.

Misfiring almost every few minutes, through most gear changes and for no apparent reason when at traffic lights. There seems to be no rhym or reason to it in order to point point the cause.

Could anyone shed light on this from a previous experience please?

Kind regards,

Shaun.

·
Registered
263 Posts
For the sake of a few quid, i'd get the filter changed again. If it cures it again, then i'd say you've got some contaminated fuel in there

·
11,873 Posts
I've read on other forums of 407 owners having a similar problem when replacing the fuel filter. I had it myself, I disconnected it, refitted and primed the system.

C

·
0 Posts
I'd have a look at the fuel filter first and if it doesn't improve I'd think about getting it hooked up to peugeot planet to see what egr valve and dpf look like.

Does the car mainly have short journeys round town or good blasts down motorway?

Cris.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car has dual journey types. Round town and 60mph dual carriage way blasts 5 days a week to and from work. I only had the fuel filter changed in a full service in the last two weeks, would this be covered in anyway? Obviously this is relative the the garage, but I will check.

Even though there is no warning lights on the dash will an error or feedback be given if hooked up to a computer?

I relation to the top comment regarding "contaminated fuel" could this happen even from my local tesco station? And if so how?

I'm very great full for the speedy responses and very keen to find a resolution to this very annoying scenario with so many possibilities.

Thank you.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you have water in the diesel / contaminated fuel, then that's down to you unfortunately. But for the sake of a few quid for a filter, and the fact it behaved last time it was done, that would be my first route to try.

C

·
0 Posts
Egr faults don't always show as a warning on the dash/mfd but if there is a fault planet will find it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've just had Green Flag out and they plugged in their computer giving an error for the CRANK POSITION SENSOR. Apparently there is fluctuating currency going through it and this measures the teeth on the fly wheel which in turn tells the pistons/valves (or something, not a mechanic!) to open. Due to there not being the correct currency consistently through the sensor the valves/pistons are not firing correctly and this is causing the misfiring/juddering. An news sensor is (apparently) between £20-£50 (plus labour). I'll get this do at a friends garage as this can be done cheaper.

According to the engineer it is usually located under the engine hence why it was worse in wet weather.

I've heard many things over the past few months and I'm willing to try any of these. I'll keep in mind trying to keep clean fuel and the filter and thank you for your suggestions.

I'll let you know how I get on and if this case can be closed!!

Thanks, Shaun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi people, I had the crank shaft sensor replaced on Tuesday of last week due to low resistance aka faulty! £30 for the unit + £30 labour. Car has been fine since. I've tested it at all speeds, stressful acceleration and weather conditions. All seems to be fine...however, it was 2 weeks after my full service (of which I thought everything was back to normal) when it started playing up again. 7 more days and I'll let you know how I got on, 14 to make sure!!

Merry Christmas and thanks for the replies to this post.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi people, I had the crank shaft sensor replaced on Tuesday of last week due to low resistance aka faulty! £30 for the unit + £30 labour. Car has been fine since. I've tested it at all speeds, stressful acceleration and weather conditions. All seems to be fine...however, it was 2 weeks after my full service (of which I thought everything was back to normal) when it started playing up again. 7 more days and I'll let you know how I got on, 14 to make sure!!

Merry Christmas and thanks for the replies to this post.
Hi how was the faulty sensor diagnosed? Was it with planet or just replaced through knowledge, I'm having similiar problems misfire at 1500 in 123 not 456 though. Loathe to keep chucking money at it without bring forearmed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi how was the faulty sensor diagnosed? Was it with planet or just replaced through knowledge, I'm having similiar problems misfire at 1500 in 123 not 456 though. Loathe to keep chucking money at it without bring forearmed
I called Green Flag as I have their cover with my bank account and the guy who was very helpful plugged it into his computer. Not sure what the device was or software used but it diagnosed it straight away. 3210 or something like that. It recorded a fault from previous day and current day.

Since having it done it has been much better, 100 times better in fact. I have 48000 miles (today) on my 407 HDi and from what I'm readingfrommany external sources that seems to be the normal for failure of such a sensor!? But then if these things didn't fail how would the manufactures make any money? Haha!!

Well all good for now but I will keep everyone posted. It's worth pointing out that I have read many things that cause misfiring and maybe all should be investigated with a diagnostics test first.

Good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi, did any one notice a decline in your MPG along with this juddering? I have a 307 hdi 1.6L doing the same thing accompanied by poor MPG.
I am waiting on delivery of PP2000 to run diags on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi everyone, some weeks have passed now and everything seems to be fine. Nothing to report. In response to the latest post regarding MPG I did notice a drop during the issue with the sensor. However, all is back to normal with slightly better MPG, no juddering and no electrical faults. Fingers crossed!!

Thanks for all reply and I hope that everyone that has an issue with theirs get it sorted soon, good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts