Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peugeot 407Hdi Handbrake adjustment. I was searching the forum looking for information on this adjustment but could find nothing so I am posting this as it may be of help to others.

I replaced the rear brake pads on my 407 recently. As I didn’t have the proper tool for winding back the pistons I unhooked the handbrake cables so I had good access to the caliper and used a G clamp and a swan neck pliers to wind the pistons back. The only problem was I had a tough job getting the cables back into the caliper and when I did get them in the handbrake did not work.
The handbrake has a self adjusting mechanism on the lever. To access this you need to remove the ashtray and panel at the rear of the centre console. I unclipped the rear seat and took it out for easier access. Once you remove the panel there is a nut holding the console (13mmsocket). Remove this and you can lift the console up. Prop it up with something to leave both hands free. I needed to put some slack into the cables on my car so I removed the yellow plastic nut circled above plus the spring and then removed the pin/bolt. Once this was out I was able to lift the locking pawl up. I held it up by inserting the pin back through it and got underneath the car and pulled the cables at the caliper. I pumped the footbrake to get the pistons out. I then removed the pin, allowed the pawl to spring into place. I then reassembled the pin/spring and nut and operated the handbrake a couple of times and both footbrake and handbrake were fine. I have some photos but the file size was too big to attach here.

J

·
0 Posts
Would have been so much easier not to have taken the handbrake cables off to begin with :lol: :thumb:

·
5,027 Posts
sooooooooooo pleased i just went to halfrauds and bought the tool :nod::nod:

D

·
0 Posts
sooooooooooo pleased i just went to halfrauds and bought the tool :nod::nod:
Replacing the rear pads is a ten times easier than described above.
There is no need to remove the cables at all.
A simple slipjaw pliers and a g-clamp will wind the pistons back without problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts