Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised to find A/V connections in the glovebox of my 2005 407 executive (one video and left/right audio) The audio works with my Apple IPOD but only when the car isnt moving. Is it possible to override this so I can listen on the move?:confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
barrywi said:
I was surprised to find A/V connections in the glovebox of my 2005 407 executive (one video and left/right audio) The audio works with my Apple IPOD but only when the car isnt moving. Is it possible to override this so I can listen on the move?:confused:
Hi Barrywi, thanks for highlighting that. I didn't even know that there is an A/V connection. Mind posting a pic of the connection ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's surely possible to bypass that "security thing"

On other average ICE machines there's a (most of the time) green cable connected to the handbrake switch.

This green cable needs to be grounded for the unit to activate the multimedia funtions.

I don't know about the Peugeot original but there's a possibility they are working the same way.

So what you should to is to unmunt the headunit and find the "handbrake" cable, then connect it to the existing ground cable, to keep it gounded all the time.

If you can't find the cable visually you have to measure your way thru with a multimeter.

Measure witch cable shows 0Ohm to ground ONLY when the hadbrake is on.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
407 a/v connections

My 407 is the executive, so not sure it is on every model but there are three phono sockets(cinch to usa readers) right at the back of the glovebox...you have to bend down with a torch to see them.
With reference to taking out the head unit I am not sure it would be as logical as you suggest( dont forget its a French car!!) as the electrics are multiplexed , and everything goes through a colour sat nav screen menu system. The electrics are called "can can" for some reason, and I am not going to fiddle with connections. I bet there is a dealers menu somewhere and maybe you could use that to cancel the "safety" feature. I have emailed Peugeot uk but they are useless and just refer you to the dealer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here's a bit on the Pug multiplexing on the 307, which explains the CAN. Won't help much on your original question though but some nice reading if u r interested! Enjoy.....

Multiplexing

The 307 utilises the latest Multiplex technology, developed in conjunction with PSA partner Citroen, Bosch and Renault. PSA first trialled this system back in 1994 on the Citroen XM.

With all the features now available in modern cars, the amount of wiring required has become enormous. Electrical connections have gone up from around 200 to over 1000 in a modern car, resulting in a spaghetti like mess around the car. Instead of so many wires, a multiplexed system of 4 BUSes (containing 4 wires each) is used. These BUSes provide electric power to the various components around the car, as well as sending individual digitally encoded messages for each component. The car has 18 microprocessors.

The system is comprised of two networks, the faster 250kbps CAN (controller area network) and the slower VAN (vehicle area network), which are bridged by the BSI/ISB (built in systems interface/intelligent service box). BSI stands for Bo?tier de Servitude Intelligent.

CAN was developed by Bosch, and controls the mechanical systems of the car, such as braking, ESP, engine management, the automatic gearbox, etc. VAN was developed by PSA and Renault, and is comprised of three subnetworks - the safety BUS, body BUS and comfort BUS.

The network can actually become congested, however, the system gives safety commands priority over comfort commands. Understandably, in a car with a drive by wire throttle, you wouldn't want the car to hesistate, waiting for some capacity in the network, when overtaking a large track on the other side of the road!

The benefits of this system are that more advanced systems can be added. For manufacturers that limit their computer systems to their own authorised dealer networks, car owners cannot service their cars at local garages, except for simple physical tasks. For authorised dealers, diagnosing problems becomes much faster, as a Peugeot technician with a Diag2000 computer can search through 6500 odd devices quickly - most problems can be diagnosed within 30 minutes. According to Peugeot, 90% of malfunctions are resolved within a day. Cars can be updated with software to cure various problems quickly.

The system is still relatively new, and understandably is not yet perfect. However it is a good concept, and will improve in the future. For example, GPS and WAP technologies will be implemented in the near future with voice activated telematics systems also on the menu. In Europe, a navigation system is already available.

Clever Multiplexed features

* Intelligent Service Indicator - maintenance intervals are determined by the car's use, not just merely on a time or mileage basis.
* Automatic Lights & Wipers
* Follow Me Home Lighting - lights illuminate for 45 seconds after the ignition is switched off (for automatic light equipped cars).
* Automatic Boot Locking - when you drive over 10 km/h, the boot will lock to prevent robbers from stealing things from your boot at traffic lights for instance.
* Emergency Braking Indicators - during emergency braking (deceleration at 8 m/s or greater), the indicators will turn on.
* Automatic Window and Sunroof Closing - if you forget to close these openings, the remote can close them for you after you lock the doors.
* Equipment Security - Major 307 equipment is useless if stolen as it will only work in its original car. Multiplexing will also record all breakin attempts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
* Emergency Braking Indicators - during emergency braking (deceleration at 8 m/s or greater), the indicators will turn on.

Yup, I can vouch for that feature. A few months back I slammed on the brakes hard to avoid a rear-end collision. ABS, ESP and Braking Assist worked like clock-work and the Indicators blinked like a Christmas Tree !

Thank God for that - collision avoided. :clap:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
activating audio input sockets

I ahve found out from the eurovan2 site( covers peugeot 807 etc) that you need to update the software on the 407 to version 6.6 and then get the dealer to activate the audio sockets on his menu. Then you have to activate the sockets on the cars menu and it all should work.
I am having my software updated tomorrow so will report back if it works.:thumb:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mission partly accomplished

I bought the software update disc(version 6.60) from the Peugeot dealer at a very reasonable ?11.00 and have updated my RT3, which took about ten minutes. I have to get my car into the dealer now to activate my IPOD sockets to use on the move.:thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rt3 & Mp3

barrywi said:
I bought the software update disc(version 6.60) from the Peugeot dealer at a very reasonable ?11.00 and have updated my RT3, which took about ten minutes. I have to get my car into the dealer now to activate my IPOD sockets to use on the move.:thumb:

Hi barrywi

Can you tell me please how you have got with enabling mp3 on your rt3 system. I'm trying to enable it on my 407 but despite having talked about it with 4 main dealers I'm really struggling to get definite info about what's involved. None of them have nay experience of doing it to date.

Any info will be very much appreciated.

Patrick

·
Registered
256 Posts
Emergency Braking Indicators - during emergency braking (deceleration at 8 m/s or greater), the indicators will turn on.

Yup, I can vouch for that feature. A few months back I slammed on the brakes hard to avoid a rear-end collision. ABS, ESP and Braking Assist worked like clock-work and the Indicators blinked like a Christmas Tree !

Thank God for that - collision avoided.

Go and take your car to Peugeot service now that you have slammed on your brakes and get the brake switch replaced, I have been informed that slaming on the brakes will trigger a switch malfunction, easily fixed by the dealer with a new switch!!!:) :nod:

·
Registered
2 Posts
pcroash said:
Hi barrywi

Can you tell me please how you have got with enabling mp3 on your rt3 system. I'm trying to enable it on my 407 but despite having talked about it with 4 main dealers I'm really struggling to get definite info about what's involved. None of them have nay experience of doing it to date.

Any info will be very much appreciated.

Patrick
Hi all, new to forum, I am also having problems connecting ipod. Have the three jacks in the glove box, feels like USB connections on the back of the housing ?? I have plugged in ipod, expected to go to Aux on source, nothing any definitive conclusion to this

1 - 11 of 11 Posts