Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just got our 2009 407 1.6 diesel estate in the summer from a family member to help us through a stressful pandemic, through disastrous construction work and two housemoves and a lawsuit it's saved us so many times. Never let us down. This forum has been really useful and I've found lots of answers here, it's been great to find this community.

The 407 has always been a bit sticky getting into first and this has got worse, on cold mornings it's hard to get into first now, but up until recently it's gone really well above that. The engine has also always sounded like a tractor (chug chug chug). Just recently there has been a smell coming from the front blowers which smells like something burning. The temperature on the screen has been around 80 C and a couple of times the fan has run hard after turning off the ignition including on our last run out.

I have tried a fast, long drive (approx 50 mins each way) and keeping revs up where possible, it's just not as fast as it used to be, above 70 requires 2500 rpm. Last time out it could be my imagination but I thought the bite point had moved up a bit.

Anyone got ideas? I suspect a regeneration somewhere in there but not sure about the rest. It just had an MOT a month ago but that might not mean much.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What kind of gearbox do you have, is it manual? When was the last time you replace transmission fluid? Probably best to replace it first, as it's the cheapest thing you could do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Wul,

Thanks for the reply. Yes it's manual, the car went for a service (not official Peugeot) a couple of months ago so they may have done it then. I'd need to check. I'll give the transmission fluid a go then and see if it helps. I hadn't considered that.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Yep gearbox oil is a cause of notchy gears.... make sure you use the genuine Peugeot gearbox oil, it most likely has different additives.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 407 has been for a service, smell was seals around fuel injectors being worn. Was a risk of them being seized apparently but all replaced fine.

Got the transmission fluid replaced and changes already feel smoother. Luckily cam belt already done. Looks like it'll go for another 6 months at least.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts