Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 407 wouldn't start and after towing to a local garage it was diagnosed as a faulty/dead fuse box.
It turns out that Peugeot are no longer supplying the part.
There are some yards selling used parts however the local Peugeot mechanic says that the boxes are coded and that if he were to obtain and fit one there may be all sorts of error lights etc. that he won't be able to sort out.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case? I'm dealing with the local Peugeot dealer but I'm not convinced of their competence. It's taking them ages just to give me some straight information.

Am I really looking at possibly having to buy a new car just for the sake of a fuse box going bad?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
7,227 Posts
The under bonnet fuse box is not coded but needs to be same version as some have different configuration for optional or trim specific items such as fog lights etc.

The internal Fuse Box/BSI is coded to the vehicle and needs to be cloned , virginised and reprogrammed or replaced as a set with the Engine ECU/BSI and keys etc

Reactions: Galant

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The under bonnet fuse box is not coded but needs to be same version as some have different configuration for optional or trim specific items such as fog lights etc.

The internal Fuse Box/BSI is coded to the vehicle and needs to be cloned , virginised and reprogrammed or replaced as a set with the Engine ECU/BSI and keys etc
Thank you. That sounds promising. The car is in the dealership garage, I'm waiting for them to send me the manufacturer code for the part so I can confirm it with a place out of the UK.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Engine fuseboxes are pretty simple devices. Just a lot of relays and fuses with a controller to check continuity and see if devices are talking which reports back to BSI.

Depending on what is wrong with your car, you may be able to open it up, trace back the faulty relay and replace just that relay. Also check for corrosion of circuit board, water ingress etc.

Last check to make, there may be a fuse in the BSI which powers the controller in the power fuse box, so check that is not blown.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I've finally heard back from the garage who have told me the following:

"The number on the faulty fuse box panel is – 9656593780
Additionally the number on the lid as you requested is – 9644856080
Our mechanic spoke to Peugeot and they did not give us any concrete information that the repair can be done (basically they will not confirm or deny it will work).
Our mechanic says that if the item is identical he thinks he can do it but offers no certainty of this."

That sounds like the whole fuse box doesn't need replacing - just a panel - but I don't know what that might be.
A quick Google shows some parts on Ebay:

@windy1603 Is that the one that needs coding - or that can just be replaced?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Can anyone confirm if this is the 'under bonnet fuse box' or the internal one that needs to be cloned?

Thanks.

·
Registered
957 Posts
9656593780 is the underbonnet fuse box or BSM which does NOT need to be coded but as said before needs to be a similar part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
9656593780 is the underbonnet fuse box or BSM which does NOT need to be coded but as said before needs to be a similar part.
Thank you!

If the part number of the replacement matches the original (9656593780) is that sufficient for a part match or might there be variations within the part number?

·
7,227 Posts
Same part no should be fine that is normally specific to a unit/spec

Reactions: Galant

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi again everyone,

I've had another question come up.

The breakers yard have said there's a second number on the label (circled in red below) and they've asked me to check it again mine.
I've done so and mine has the same number except that it ends with an 'L' and not an 'M' as in the spare.

Does anyone know if that's relevant?

Thanks,
G.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts