Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to his forum and am considering buying a used 407 Estate 2.0 Diesel. I have only just started looking but would appreciate a heads up on what to look for. The type of questions I have are

What model / spec offers best value for money?
Are there any known horrors with this car/engine (cam belts, servicing etc)?

My budget is not massive £6-7K, but looking on the web there appears to be some tidy looking examples, but I would appreciate some advice from people who have owned these cars for some time. I owned a 306 petrol some years ago and was very happy with it so know the marque is pretty reliable.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
280 Posts
Advisable to get a decent warranty with it. lower front balljoints are a common fault, ABS sensors can fault and there is a shortage of rear sensors. Anti pollution faults pop up now and again. But for the money you get a lot of equipment. Servicing and cambelts have never been a problem.

G

·
Aftermarket warranties usually don't cover the balljoints - even the manufacturers warranty won't pay now, as pug have in the last 2 weeks decided they're speed-hump induced failures, which is utter rot. Late 2007 on cars had modified balljoints and hubs which cured this anyway.

ABS sensors are now back in stock in the UK, to the relief of many!

check the glass roof for cracking - the slightest evidence of cracking or chipping should have you running a mile. It costs a fortune to replace.

they're great cars when they work properly, but are hideously complex - £100 on an AA/RAC pre purchase insepction is absolutely essential.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the advice.

Can you tell me what the cam belt change interval is please, my last two cars have had chains so has not been a consideration.

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Mark,

I see this topic is about a month old, and you may have bought your car by now. Anyway I have one of these and I think it is great. I suppose I am very shallow but I bought it because I fell in love with its styling. Its load carrying capacity isnt a factor for me. If you are looking to carry bulky loads I would think again. Open the tailgate and look at the size and shape of the aperture you have to work with.

Good luck,
Ian.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.