Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have just changed front and rear droplinks, no more nasty noises and more surprisingly a more subtle, subdued ride, I likey

Total cost less than £30 on good old fleabay.

As there's no "how to" I thought I'd take piccies on the way , if I miss anything shout up but here goes.

Tool list

Jacks and stands
Gallons of WD40
Long Punches
Copper or hide mallet
Good Metric Socket set, gonna need from memory, 17,18,19,24mm
Torx 45 and 55 preferably on a socket drive ( I couldnt find mine)
Good metric combination wrench set again just 19 and 24mm needed from memory
Copaslip

1 Have a brew

2 Jack up car and support!! I struggled to find somewhere suitable to put an axle stand, to the point where it fell of my second trolley jack while lifting the other side to put axle stands in So I ended up taking off undertray and using back of subfame for support.

3 Remove wheel and locate droplink bolts and spray very liberally with WD40, pen oil, duck oil take your pick!!

·
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
4 Using T45 torx and 19 mm wrench undo and remove lower droplink bolt

5 Using T55 torx bit and 24mm wrench undo upper droplink bolt

6 Have a brew!

·
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
7 Using largest punch available mine was 12mm knock upper droplink out making sure to leave punch in the aperture so shock absorber doesn't drop like mine did (beleive me it'll save you time later.

8 Now get glamorous assistant to turn wheel so you can slide out upper droplink bolt and then do the same for lower one

9 Fitting is really as easy as removal, I cleaned up the apertures with a rotarty wire wheel in my drill, liberally coated all faces and pins with Copaslip and put it all back together. I couldnt find any torque values on my service box so did to the universal torque of FT Have a good check at all other bits and bobs, brakes, CV etc

10 Put wheels back on and enjoy!!

Any questions just post reply

Cheers for looking Gaz

Thanks to FHMBOY for this as all i did was steal it from 407owners

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Hi Trem, would you know any torque settings for the front end, im thinking primarily driveshaft nut's and the bottom bushing bolt and nut, please?

·
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cant find the info on servicebox atm. but i'll look again in awhile unless someone else can find out sooner for you

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Do you know, its all about asking the right search question, I spent ages asking the wrong ones. Many thanks Trem. If I may be a further drain on your time, on this thread and lower ball joint one, did you ever need the services of a spring compressor for the front springs? On staring to change my wheel bearings I wondered what would happen when I undid the bottom bolts without one, anyway found a lower ball joint gone so while im under there and not wanting to return soon, i have ordered a kit for upper and lower joints complete with drop links at under £30 each side. I'll be referring to those guides you posted for help, thanks again, Brad

·
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
first just to clarify, i didnt do the droplinks fhmboy did and i knicked the info he put on 407owners at his request

but no at no point did i need any spring compressors or go anywhere near unbolting the spring itself and going from the droplink pics i wouldnt have thought the springs were touched either, see if the pic helps you

Attachments

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Thanks for your excellent input trem and fhmboy. l Got a problem with one bottom joint bolt, it has broken one socket its so tight, so will use a nut splitter tmoz. Its refusing to give in despite a good hammering and wd40. Also found your guides are first class, its like I'm already familiar with the job, much easier. :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
That nut on the bottom bolt cost me an angle grinder. After i bought nut splitters, chisel, and a 3lb hammer it still refused to budge, the angle grinder did it but it had to work on the metal, jeez that is hard, not helped by it getting case hardened by the heat. After taking my hubs in to the engineers for bearings to be pressed in I changed one drop link today and
will do the other tomoz. I have a ball joint spanner coming so i can change the top ball joints. One abs sensor died in the process so got one coming for £18....Whats next? im running a book on it.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Well the engineers did me a treat with the wheel bearings and removing the old tracks off the flanges. But to refit the flanges without belting them I used a DIY press. A length of large diameter studding, the size of the internal diameter of the flanges: Thread the flange and hub on to it and squeeze them together with a nut and washer each end. This keeps the two square on to each other and with them greased do the nuts up. I used 36mm socket at one end of the studding to do the work, with 2ft bar. Put a wheel nut in the flange for somewhere to fit an opposing lever. simples

C

·
0 Posts
That nut on the bottom bolt cost me an angle grinder. After i bought nut splitters, chisel, and a 3lb hammer it still refused to budge, the angle grinder did it but it had to work on the metal, jeez that is hard, not helped by it getting case hardened by the heat. After taking my hubs in to the engineers for bearings to be pressed in I changed one drop link today and
will do the other tomoz. I have a ball joint spanner coming so i can change the top ball joints. One abs sensor died in the process so got one coming for £18....Whats next? im running a book on it.
Where did you get abs sensor for £18???? ebay??

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The beauty of a press is there is pressure each end of the bearing keeping it intact. With the 407 it has double races. If you fit the flange from one side there's the risk the other side of the bearing will come apart.

C

·
0 Posts
I'll get you the details CAB hold fire I'll be back... £18.90 off eBay, Think it was EDM trading. Type in "peugeot abs sensors"
Found em cheers:thumb:, don't need it just yet but am sure I will when front wheel bearing is replaced. Let us know what quality is like please;)

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Erm quality by close inspection is very good. Would think as good as the stealers. What it does when we start up and drive I have yet to find out. I will post if it doesn't come up to standard.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
CAB the abs sensor £18 off ebay. Quality on inspection good, no faults after road test. Only problem was the little fixing bolt needed chamfering on the end before i could screw it in. I would buy again Brad

1 - 20 of 32 Posts