Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 55 plate 407 and it has developed an intermittent problem on the front drivers wheel. When turning into a parking space or my driveway sometimes I get a cracking/popping noise coming from the from drivers wheel area. It only seems to happen at very slow speeds and isn't noticeable during normal driving conditions, but when you put the most strain on the steering at full lock "sometimes" I get this noise. Has anyone else had anything similar?

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts

If it is still under warranty get Peugeot to do it. On both the 20k & 40k services they have changed a front ball joint under warranty. The service department said it is a known fault the first time. but did not mention it the second time although they had changed a ball joint again. I had only noticed a slight clunk when reversing almost on full lock onto my driveway at very low speed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi.I was just about to post the same problem.I also drive a 407 55 plate,hdi luxury pack.I get the same noises when parking,a clunk and the whole car is kinda shaking when turning the stearingwheel almost full...I thought it might be a problem whit the power stearing pump(not sure if the exact definition:confused: ) or something to do with the ball joints....
I also have a ''problem'' with the whole bloddy engine....1 of the engine mounts(support)might be loose i think,and when u start the car,if u look at the engine compartment,the whole thing shakes like it wants to start running...Is that normal with the 407's?Dont have any friends with this kind of car,so i can't check...
And last problem....when going over the speed bumps(i live in london,so have plenty of those:mad: ),i hear some kind of noise which i think it comes from the suspension...sounds like stretched rubber,if that makes any sense....any1 else experiencing the same problems?
Thank you and hope to hear your views soon

·
Registered
4 Posts
WOW!!
i got a reply on another forum about this problem,just thought to add it here,maybe you guys could add to it or ease my fears now...:eek:
''
Quite a disparate collection of symptoms there; but given the vibration and "rubbery" issues, I wonder if the rubber-damped front crank pulley is coming apart?

Without the steering problem; I'd have gone for a failing dual-mass flywheel.

In any event; this needs investigating urgently as impending disasters loom - a failed DMF will smash the gearbox off the engine and a failed crank pulley often takes the cam-belt out; with resultant catastrophic engine damage.''

Now that realy got me thinking....Makes me change my mind about peugeots...I started to love the car:(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi.Thanks for the interest:rolleyes:
Just thought i update you all,maybe you'll find it helpfull..
The biggest problem i had was the rattling(vibrating)noise coming from the steering...I changed the ball joints and after few quid spent on diagnostics and failed attempts to get it fixed(it was still doin it after the ball joints change),a mecanic finaly thought of doing a steering pump flush...And it worked:lol:
as for the other problems,i just learned to live with them:(

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 407 has a similar noise always at slow speeds and when turning right on full lock into parking spaces etc. Took it to Peugeot and they said it needs a new ball joint. Getting it done this Monday under warranty. Car has done 23k.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts