Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought this car for very cheap after a checkup at the official Peugeot garage I was assured it was a good car.

Coming from a budget Toyota Aygo the 407 felt amazing and I didn't notice some issues that are bugging me right now.

Automatic gearbox is acting weird. Between 3rd and 5th gear it keeps the revs near 2000rpm. The revs don't fall after a gear shift, it feels like a CVT. If I turn on the cruise control or switch to manual shifting the revs would fall down.

There is some weird knocking noise at the back. More on the left side. I thought it was just something in the boot, but after getting rid of everything I could find, the knocking is still there. It happens when driving over rough roads.

Suspension is hard. This AMVAR is supposed to be hard only when in Sport mode, but when I engage it, I can't tell any difference in ride quality. Just the engine is revving higher. I had to drive my old shitty Aygo to notice how bad the ride quality on my Peugeot was.
To hell with sports suspension on daily-driving cars. Can I just put the conventional soft suspension?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Automatic gearbox - Gearbox oil has never been changed and causing all sorts of issues. Failing that, it could be the valve block. Very common as nobody changed the oil on these and hence the problems.

There is some weird knocking noise at the back - Could be linked to the problem below, could be a worn suspension component.

Suspension is hard - Clearly the AMVAR system isn't working then. Could be a seized damper or one of the sensors has malfunctioned. Needs to be put on diagnostics to find out really. You can go back but there is no "comfort" suspension. A fully working AMVAR system is comfier than the "sports" non-amvar system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can go back but there is no "comfort" suspension. A fully working AMVAR system is comfier than the "sports" non-amvar system.
I'm not interested in any kind of sporty suspension at all. The roads around where I live are very bad.

I'd like to know if I can install regular suspension from the 407 Saloon on the Coupe, and disable the sport-suspension computer settings so it's not beeping at me all the time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Automatic gearbox - Gearbox oil has never been changed and causing all sorts of issues. Failing that, it could be the valve block. Very common as nobody changed the oil on these and hence the problems.

There is some weird knocking noise at the back - Could be linked to the problem below, could be a worn suspension component.

Suspension is hard - Clearly the AMVAR system isn't working then. Could be a seized damper or one of the sensors has malfunctioned. Needs to be put on diagnostics to find out really. You can go back but there is no "comfort" suspension. A fully working AMVAR system is comfier than the "sports" non-amvar system.
For my information please @BiGK, if one of the suspension sensors has failed, will that make the entire electronic suspension to not function?

Sent from my TECNO L9 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
852 Posts
For my information please @BiGK, if one of the suspension sensors has failed, will that make the entire electronic suspension to not function?

Quite possibly yes. It depends on how the sensor has failed. iirc, once you replace the sensor, you may need to recalibrate it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quite possibly yes. It depends on how the sensor has failed. iirc, once you replace the sensor, you may need to recalibrate it.
There seem to be lack of information on the Amvar suspension system, and in this part of the world, no one seem to know "anything" about it.

Mine is causing me sleepless nights literally. It's 2:39am right now, and I am reading all I can about it.

I changed all my car's shocks recently (407, ESJ engine). Prior to now, they've been bad.

I have been using manual shocks at the rear for about a year now. The front mechanical components of the front suspension went bad recently, so I had to change everything back to the Amvar. I got used suspensions.

After installation, I cleared the about ten faults on the suspension. Clearing the error codes left me with these faults

C1155: Front right travel sensor: Characterised as: open circuit or short circuit to earth

C1157: Front right travel sensor: Characterised as: Coherence

And

C1154: Front left travel sensor: Characterised as: coherence

The car rides high, I cannot run actuator tests on the suspension.

I tried swapping the sensor on the top of the suspension and scanning thereafter. The fault remained on the front right meaning that the problem may not be the sensor itself. In any event, I do not know if the actuators on top of the suspension is what the scan refers to as the travel sensor.

I am just confused here! Any idea from you?

·
Registered
852 Posts
"The car rides high"

AMVAR doesn't adjust the height of the suspension, it only softens or stiffens the damping action. However for safety concerns, the dampers might be put in maximum stiffness when there is a problem, causing the ride height to be raised.

There is very little information on this suspension system as it was only used on the 407 Coupe and nowhere else.

"in any event, I do not know if the actuators on top of the suspension is what the scan refers to as the travel sensor. "

No, if you look on servicebox, the travel sensors are separate (one in each corner). Actuators on top are simple motors which turn a rod, which in turns changes the damping.

Find the sensor, unplug it, check if any corrosion is on the pins. Start with front right, as that shows either sensor is faulty OR wiring is damaged. Check the wiring for any damage.

I believe the coherence fault means it is out of specification (which it will be if you can't get data from sensor)

Sensors aren't too expensive but the connecting road for the sensor do rust and you might find the ball joint for it has popped out. So inspect carefully, verify from left side.

P.s - just to clarify, I am not an expert in AMVAR, my knowledge is just from knowing about automotive suspension.

·
Registered
30 Posts
"The car rides high"

AMVAR doesn't adjust the height of the suspension, it only softens or stiffens the damping action. However for safety concerns, the dampers might be put in maximum stiffness when there is a problem, causing the ride height to be raised.

There is very little information on this suspension system as it was only used on the 407 Coupe and nowhere else.

"in any event, I do not know if the actuators on top of the suspension is what the scan refers to as the travel sensor. "

No, if you look on servicebox, the travel sensors are separate (one in each corner). Actuators on top are simple motors which turn a rod, which in turns changes the damping.

Find the sensor, unplug it, check if any corrosion is on the pins. Start with front right, as that shows either sensor is faulty OR wiring is damaged. Check the wiring for any damage.

I believe the coherence fault means it is out of specification (which it will be if you can't get data from sensor)

Sensors aren't too expensive but the connecting road for the sensor do rust and you might find the ball joint for it has popped out. So inspect carefully, verify from left side.

P.s - just to clarify, I am not an expert in AMVAR, my knowledge is just from knowing about automotive suspension.
Thanks a million. That was the problem here.

It turned out that when the mechanic was installing the suspension, the socket of the sensor was broken, and in fixing another, he got the polarity wrong. That was corrected, but the fault came back.

Then on further check, turned out the connecting rod of the front right sensor was rusted, and had intact removed. Check! You solved that For me. Replaced and fault gone

There is still the coherence fault on the front left suspension. I think I already have a fair idea of the problem at least, what to watch out for. What gave me sleepless nights was not knowing the solutions and what to watch out for. I am good. Thanks a million BiGK

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great to hear!

Suspension is working as intended now though, comfort/sport?
Appears so. I removed the left sensor, and realized its broken too. I will have it fixed today. I believe the suspension will work optimally when I have that fixed. I will revert with results later in the day.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Appears so. I removed the left sensor, and realized its broken too. I will have it fixed today. I believe the suspension will work optimally when I have that fixed. I will revert with results later in the day.

Done and dusted! Ride is great now, faults all gone. It was all the sensors. Getting the sensors was a long walk, but I got them, and real cheap. Thanks for the support.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts