Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm new to this community so apologies in advance if I'm doing something wrong. I recently acquired a 407 coupe as I felt like it's now or never if I ever want to own a car with a V6 and I always loved the coupes.

For some reason the parking sensors are completely off, like no matter how many times I press the button the light on top of it wont shut off so that the system would be enabled. I can find a lot of discussions related to faulty sensors and the car giving an error but I can't even enable the system to see if it would error out or not. Is there any logical reason why, like does the car stop warning and permanently disable it until the fault is fixed after a while? Or should the button always react even if the system is faulty? In that case maybe it's something ridiculously simple like the button not making contact.

Swapping from a 206 the car feels like a bit of a yacht so it would be an useful feature for sure until I get a feel for the dimensions. Service book mentions a couple of front sensors being swapped only a couple of years ago so presumably the system was functional at that point.

·
9,521 Posts
If there is a fault logged in the parking sensor ecu the sensors are disabled and the button light will stay on all the time.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If there is a fault logged in the parking sensor ecu the sensors are disabled and the button light will stay on all the time.

Okay, yeah I figured that would be the case. I just have a bog standard OBD reader and it showed me 5 or 6 'unknown' codes which are probably the PSA specific ones and probably related to the issue, although I also got warned about rear fog lights and I fixed the connections to those after I did my scanning so maybe it would be less now, I'll have to check again.

I'm guessing I can't really get more info without the proper diagnostic tools? Maybe I'll just have to find the connections to see if anything is wrong visually and maybe start pulling some sensors out and poke around with a multimeter, since they supposedly can fail open circuit

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does it have an Android headunit or ever have one? If so, the BSI is bricked.
No, it has the standard colour screen.
I ordered one of the Lexia 3/PP2000 diagnostic bundles or whatever it's actually called, hopefully it will arrive next week. I feel like it's going to be a good thing to have anyway (especially now that I just got the car and not 5 years down the line) and I'm hoping it will help me out a little bit. Supposedly I'm going to also need an older computer (or a 32-bit Windows installation) for that but I have a stack of early 2000s laptops so I should be set

·
9,521 Posts
You need diagbox or a high end reader to read the parking ECU fault codes to identify the fault. If everything else works on your car BSI is fine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You need diagbox or a high end reader to read the parking ECU fault codes to identify the fault. If everything else works on your car BSI is fine

Yeah I'm waiting for the diagnostic equipment to arrive before I investigate things further.

In the meantime I have some mainly cosmetic things to sort out, like a broken headlight washer cover and a bit of rust on the bottom of the door 'frame' which seems like a known issue since IIRC that part had a piece of tape on it from the factory? Seems like water somehow gets down there and sits there? Weird but at least it's not visible on the outside.
Might also need a passenger/right side xenon headlight unit but they seem really hard to find outside the UK and the UK ones obviously wouldn't work for left hand drive cars, which is a shame cause they seem to be available for less than 100€ meanwhile a local junkyard is asking 450€ for a really scratched up one. Oh well, at least it's just a cosmetic issue for now. I expected anything coupe specific to be pretty difficult to find

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the Lexia 3 setup hooked up and tried running DiagBox 7.66 on a Windows XP laptop but no dice.

this is a little snippet from the report that I got.

AAS: Parking assistance

State of the ECU: AAS
Faults present : 0

The errors that I did find though:

3 faults on the electronic suspension
1 for passenger side mirror de-icing
1 for passenger side humidity sensor
1 for the color display (whatever absence of screen permanent plus means)
all of which I'm not really bothered about right now

I also managed to navigate to the parking sensor testing on it's own and found the 'Test of ultrasonic sensors' which gave me no faults either. Ran tests with the ignition on and also with the engine running separately

Not really sure where to go from here, I was kinda hoping I could at least get live data from the sensors to see if anything seems iffy but I couldn't find anything like that.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
As the car is new to you, is it possible that the previous owner installed the Android headunit, pressed that button, made the BSI faulty, then sold it because a new BSI is expensive? Can you contact previous owner and ask?

It's just all symptoms are pointing there, it's been documented before and your symptoms match up 100% with this, the system and car thinks the parking sensors are functioning and working but the button push to enable notifications doesn't work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As the car is new to you, is it possible that the previous owner installed the Android headunit, pressed that button, made the BSI faulty, then sold it because a new BSI is expensive? Can you contact previous owner and ask?

It's just all symptoms are pointing there, it's been documented before and your symptoms match up 100% with this, the system and car thinks the parking sensors are functioning and working but the button push to enable notifications doesn't work.
It doesn't have an android head unit though, it's the standard colour screen (whatever the one is with the 5 square buttons in the menu), think the manual refers to it as 'colour screen C'. Unless they reinstalled the original one back. Although I did also have a fault for 'auxiliary audio input n°1' so maybe there's some logic to that, like something has been removed that used to be installed there or something. Not sure

I was thinking about disconnecting the battery and resetting everything, could that maybe have an effect? I saw the steps to do it 'properly' and it thankfully isn't quite in the modern car territory where everything goes haywire if you mess with the battery so it would be a pretty easy thing to try

·
9,521 Posts
I would check the configuration of the BSI, display and head unit to make sure they all have parking sensors enabled

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yep that is my thinking, previous owner re-installed the original head unit, then sold car instead of fixing. Even your faults indicate the head unit system has been disconnected at some point, the "1 for the colour display (whatever absence of screen permanent plus means) "

Has the car always had this fault since you bought it? Or did it develop afterwards?

It's just an avenue to explore to hopefully fix your issue or at least understand it. You can reset the BSI... but if my theory is right it won't do anything. Nothing to lose however.

Also try windy solution, it does need to be configured in various places and also go into parking sensor section of BSI where there are a few options for how it warns you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah it has been like that since I got it a few weeks ago. I'll go look around in Diagbox a bit more and see what more I can find. Honestly the sensors are becoming less important as time goes on and I'm getting used to everything so maybe I shouldn't go too far as everything else seems to work just fine. Either way I'll report back soon if I find anything

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would check the configuration of the BSI, display and head unit to make sure they all have parking sensors enabled

Maybe I'm just blind but I opened the BSI section of the diagnostic report in Diagbox and couldn't find anything parking sensor related there. Is there a particular category it would be under? I'm fairly sure I checked all the ones that would make sense
I've never used Diagbox before in general so maybe I'm looking in the completely wrong area, pretty much everything I did was under the 'expert' tab after I ran the diagnostics

·
9,521 Posts
Under configuration there is an option for ecu's present

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts