Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
It's normal, so you can relax. Mine is the same, as is Rays (407Mad), and every other one I've come into contact with. Sounds like a biscuit tin of broken crockery being shaken.

The 2.2 is an interesting unit. It's very undersquare with a long stroke, and has the VVTi valvetrain, so there's a lot of metal reciprocating.

A high quality 5w40 oil, such as Fuchs or Motul, will quieten it a little, but fundamentally they're a rattly ol' thing.

Don't 'arf go well though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
diesel noise

I just bought mine 3 weeks ago, it drives beautifully. But it does make that diesel noise when cold.I have a 3 month warranty from a dealer. should I be concern about this and take it to the local shop? It is loud when starting cold , but after the oil temp goes up, you can't hear a thing,I heard on the forum that it can be faulty variater, lifters, maybe the timing belt needs replacement ? I,m planning to do that in the next 3-5 thousand miles for sure.

Can you guys advice.

Great thanks,

P.s. It's got 90 K on the clock if it matters, just had an MOT and a service:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi David,
I see that you had some quite experience with these cars.I heard about faulty cam variators , would you recommend to bring to bring this car to the shop and have them checked out? car got 90,000 miles on the clock. just had been serviced.But I don't think the cam belt has been replaced, can I do it at 95,000? And what oil would you recommend for the next service?

G

·
Hi David,
I see that you had some quite experience with these cars.I heard about faulty cam variators , would you recommend to bring to bring this car to the shop and have them checked out? car got 90,000 miles on the clock. just had been serviced.But I don't think the cam belt has been replaced, can I do it at 95,000? And what oil would you recommend for the next service?
The cam variators don't give trouble really.
Below is the Total Lubricants recommended oil for your engine.

http://total-gbr.lubricantadvisor.c...1738de7497614f2f5768af494&br=62ce082f5afe4d02

·
Registered
10 Posts
The noise actually comes from the timing box , my worry is. That will break or the belt will snap. Once the oil temperature is up it's fine . I will have it checked out next week . When I bought the car I didn't noticed. The warranty does not cover wear and tear , but this is not wear and tear I hope. How much. Would it cost to replace a cam phaser you reckon? Car got 91k miles on the clock and I'm not sure if the cam belt was changed . It was serviced last by previous owner at 74k . Stamp says gold service , but does not say anything about the belt. Wonder if this noise will get worse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just found out that the variator for 2.2 petrol is 450 £. ( original from Peugeot ) . With the labour , plus cam belt, pulleys, water pump will total 880 £. Lots of money. AA only will cover 500 £ so the rest is on me. :((

·
Registered
10 Posts
the noise

Hi Chopper,

Just had the oil replaced . Used Total 5W-40 Full synthetic.
Seems that if the temperature outside is low the car is more noisy.
The noise actually stops when the oil temperature reached 90-100 degrees.
Then it's okay. I haven't been brave enough to take it to the indi yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.