Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a 2.2 petrol coupe. Engine is very noisy. It clatters, and sounds a lot like a diesel. Have any other owners experience the same problem?

Paul

G

·
It's normal, so you can relax. Mine is the same, as is Rays (407Mad), and every other one I've come into contact with. Sounds like a biscuit tin of broken crockery being shaken.

The 2.2 is an interesting unit. It's very undersquare with a long stroke, and has the VVTi valvetrain, so there's a lot of metal reciprocating.

A high quality 5w40 oil, such as Fuchs or Motul, will quieten it a little, but fundamentally they're a rattly ol' thing.

Don't 'arf go well though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
diesel noise

I just bought mine 3 weeks ago, it drives beautifully. But it does make that diesel noise when cold.I have a 3 month warranty from a dealer. should I be concern about this and take it to the local shop? It is loud when starting cold , but after the oil temp goes up, you can't hear a thing,I heard on the forum that it can be faulty variater, lifters, maybe the timing belt needs replacement ? I,m planning to do that in the next 3-5 thousand miles for sure.

Can you guys advice.

Great thanks,

P.s. It's got 90 K on the clock if it matters, just had an MOT and a service:D

·
Registered
298 Posts
My 2.0l is the same mate, when cold she shudders and knocks like a bag of bolts thrown off a cliff! Let her warm up and she is fine.
Think much of it is just how they are

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks mate, that ,s great news . Everyone says the same. The car is overall in great shape , always been fully serviced by Peugeot dealer. So it must be common thing with those models

G

·
This happens to this engine if it has been left run low on oil. Keep it checked is all you can do. They can be noisey alright.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you think I should put thicker oil, better grade ? I want to keep the car for a while . Is it okay to be driving ? I will keep my eye on the oil level just in case.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've put over 6000 miles on mine like it! So as long as she has been checked and your sure its nothing major then just keep an eye on the oil and you'll be fine! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi David,
I see that you had some quite experience with these cars.I heard about faulty cam variators , would you recommend to bring to bring this car to the shop and have them checked out? car got 90,000 miles on the clock. just had been serviced.But I don't think the cam belt has been replaced, can I do it at 95,000? And what oil would you recommend for the next service?

G

·
Hi David,
I see that you had some quite experience with these cars.I heard about faulty cam variators , would you recommend to bring to bring this car to the shop and have them checked out? car got 90,000 miles on the clock. just had been serviced.But I don't think the cam belt has been replaced, can I do it at 95,000? And what oil would you recommend for the next service?
The cam variators don't give trouble really.
Below is the Total Lubricants recommended oil for your engine.

http://total-gbr.lubricantadvisor.c...1738de7497614f2f5768af494&br=62ce082f5afe4d02

·
Registered
10 Posts
The noise actually comes from the timing box , my worry is. That will break or the belt will snap. Once the oil temperature is up it's fine . I will have it checked out next week . When I bought the car I didn't noticed. The warranty does not cover wear and tear , but this is not wear and tear I hope. How much. Would it cost to replace a cam phaser you reckon? Car got 91k miles on the clock and I'm not sure if the cam belt was changed . It was serviced last by previous owner at 74k . Stamp says gold service , but does not say anything about the belt. Wonder if this noise will get worse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for all your help gents. Is there any way of locating the problem without stripping it down ? Probably not , but I like second opinion

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just found out that the variator for 2.2 petrol is 450 £. ( original from Peugeot ) . With the labour , plus cam belt, pulleys, water pump will total 880 £. Lots of money. AA only will cover 500 £ so the rest is on me. :((

·
Registered
10 Posts
the noise

Hi Chopper,

Just had the oil replaced . Used Total 5W-40 Full synthetic.
Seems that if the temperature outside is low the car is more noisy.
The noise actually stops when the oil temperature reached 90-100 degrees.
Then it's okay. I haven't been brave enough to take it to the indi yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi

My 2.2 coupe is noisy too but im more worried bout my oil usage im using bout half a litre mayb a little more every 1000 miles is this normal??? Its a low millage car with only 35000 on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts