Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Gutted, I discovered this damage on my coupe today

I'm not exactly sure what to do about it, nobody has left a note, it clearly looks like a red car, I'm so angry that they've just buggered off without leaving anything.

I drove to work today oblivious because its on the passenger side but it must have happened last night, because at work i have a space next to a wall on that side and its protected, plus someone would have seen it and let me know.

can anyone who knows about bodywork give me an idea on the damage? the door looks shagged and the rear panel has taken damage too

·
5,032 Posts
I'm gutted for you Matt.
Only thing i can think to say is report it to police and take it to a bodyshop (dont know whereabouts you are) see what the cost is gonna be then maybe call your insurance company if the cost is too great for you to pay yourself

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, will the police be able to do anything? no witnesses have come forward so its gonna be hard to trace the culprit

how much is body work likely to cost, a new door is gonna be pretty steep isnt it? I'm in Birmingham

·
5,032 Posts
the way i understand it is if you have an accident and nobody is injured you must still report it to the police within 24 hours. now i know its a long shot but got to be worth a try, also whoever did this may have had other collisions in your area and the police will need to know to build a possible case against them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll get on and report it then, I've just found that my excess is £750!

what sort of figure would i be looking at for a decent body shop to fix this?

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I would be looking at sourcing a replacement door from a scrapyard or ebay. Even one the wrong colour could be repainted for a fraction of the price of a new door, preparing & painting then gutting the old door and fitting all the parts to the new one especially if you did all the prep work first. A good bodyshop would have the correct gear for pulling out the worst of the dent in the rear panel leaving some relatively minor cosmetic work to finish it off.

The problem with bodywork is that it is labour intensive and not something that can be rushed so even a simple ding cost a couple of hundred to put right. It's gonna cost plenty either way so even with a £750 excess, it may be worth going through the insurance which will require reporting to the police and obtaining an incident number.

How will a claim affect your no claims bonus ? You would have to factor in the increased premiums for the next 5 - 7 years and add that to your excess to truly see if you would save enough money in making a claim.

The only way you are going to get any real idea of cost is to get a bodyshop to give you an estimate.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sorry about that couldnt help ramming your door for the sake of it and being ignorant enough to run away...

^^^^ Jokes but I am gutted for you that some idiot just did a hit and run. Can people not bloody drive nowadays?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Be careful with the insurance company - they're entirely too eager to write cars off nowadays and I can pretty much guarantee that they'd write that off.

As for repair costs, the bodyshop I work for would probably charge in the region of £375 to repair & paint that quarter panel, plus around £180 to paint a second hand door to match (I wouldn't want to try to repair the door), along with a strip and refit, and possible blend of the wing (probably not required - I'm assuming your car is Gris Aluminium - colour code EZR which is a pretty good colour match on most schemes).

If you go the insurance route, you'll be looking at about £700-800 labour, £2-300 paint and materials, and probably a terrifying amount for the parts (which have to be new, dealer parts most of the time unless you fight your insurer) - all in all, you'll probably see a final bill around £2-3000 or more. Most insurers now work on a 40% of value maximum (this is not set in stone) so unless you car is worth at least £5500, I'd expect them to just write it off.

Oh, I'm based in the North East so not angling for the job lol - and repair rates do vary from area to area but the point of this post was just to warn you that you could very easily lose your car if you let your insurers sort this out...

I just (yesterday) bought an insurance write off 407 SW and that only needed a headlamp, wing, bumper and door repair - the insurance company paid out £4400 to the previous owner and I can't see how the repair bill would have passed even £1800 so yeah, they do like to write them off for light damage, never mind something as heavy as yours

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help everyone, that insurance info is handy, I'll have a look into sourcing some parts and cheers for the estimate bigslavey, I'm gonna have a look in to everything, it seems crazy to write a car off for something so minor!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts