Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first time poster and relative newbie when it comes to DIY'ing cars.

I was driving my 2005 407 SW diesel down the motorway when the windscreen wipers started going nuts, (perfectly sunny day, no rain to trigger the auto windscreen wipers). Then the electric windows started going up and down of their own accord. Then all of the lights went off on the dash... absolutely everything... I still had some acceleration and brakes but as soon as I came to a stop (off the motorway) the car never moved again.

When I put the key in the ignition all I get is a little *tickticktick* no lights, no turning over, no nothing!

Has anyone got any idea what may be wrong with the beast?

I have recently bought a Peugeot Planet device but have very little idea as to what I need to do with it...

I would really appreciate any help you guys may be able to offer and thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is the voltage of the battery and how have you checked the leads and connections?
I checked the terminals and the connections on the top, the voltage was 13.2. The leads show no signs of wear or damage and I checked fuses with a volt meter. Is there anything else more definitive I could try?

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I checked the terminals and the connections on the top, the voltage was 13.2. The leads show no signs of wear or damage and I checked fuses with a volt meter. Is there anything else more definitive I could try?
just doing a visual inspection will not suffice you need to remove connections clean them and then refit

·
3,000 Posts
now a starter test....check the voltage at the starter when trying to crank...check the voltage at the battery when trying to crank...have you any dash lights yet?

·
Registered
241 Posts
check the engine earth(s) it sounds a fairly serious/basic/elementary electrical fault.
i'd be adding another engine earth regardless as a belt and braces approach
neil
i'm going to do this myself after a bit of slow starting recently in the cold weather all ok again now its a little warmer on mine -it was just turning over a little slower than normal ,only just enough to 'catch' as it were
( i did similar to my 405 when i had it and it REALLY woke up the starter spinning over the engine really fast...makes you think ,when you see how thin the stock cables are...good luck in resolving this
neil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello all! thanks for your replies... due to that awful storm we had last night in France I have had no electricity/internet til about 2 hours ago and now I have no light to work by!

now a starter test....check the voltage at the starter when trying to crank...check the voltage at the battery when trying to crank...have you any dash lights yet?
The dash lights (and rear lights) have been turning on/off and staying on/off intermittently... whether or not the keys are in the ignition.

The voltage at the battery and the starter motor were unaffected when turning the ignition (though there is no cranking to be had!). The voltage had decreased from the previous 13.2 as the lights were draining the battery. I have disconnected the battery and I'm currently charging it overnight.

When we first broke down I attached the starter motor straight to the battery and it cranked but would not fire.

Is that enough to complete a starter test or should I try again when the battery is fully charged (please forgive all the questions, I am rather out of my depth, but have not the money for a garage here in very rural France!)

check the engine earth(s) it sounds a fairly serious/basic/elementary electrical fault.
i'd be adding another engine earth regardless as a belt and braces approach
neil
i'm going to do this myself after a bit of slow starting recently in the cold weather all ok again now its a little warmer on mine -it was just turning over a little slower than normal ,only just enough to 'catch' as it were
( i did similar to my 405 when i had it and it REALLY woke up the starter spinning over the engine really fast...makes you think ,when you see how thin the stock cables are...good luck in resolving this
neil
We have tried adding an earth from the neutral side of the battery straight on to the body work, and it made no difference... would that diagnose an earth issue. When I was able to get under the car I checked and tightened any earth I could find but I'm not sure I found them all... apparently a gearbox earth is a very common problem... I'm not entirely sure where the gearbox earth is, would you be able to point me in the right direction? A small problem that I have at the minute is that I am unable to take the car out of park to roll it up on the ramps I have. Do you have any idea where the shift release is? I have scoured the internet but must be using the wrong terminology as I have got no relevant results

Thank you all for taking the time to read through this! I really do appreciate all this help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just doing a visual inspection will not suffice you need to remove connections clean them and then refit
Thanks, when I reconnected the battery this evening, dashboard lights came on and headlights too. Unfortunately they would not turn off when I took the keys out of the ignition and have drained the battery somewhat! I have now removed the battery to put it on charge over night and I will clean up everything I can before refitting it in daylight

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The crazy electrics exactly like this is what the 406 does when water gets into the multiplug under the carpet in the driver's footwell.
Thank you for your response! Each time someone responds with something that isn't "your car's knackered" it is very heartening!

Do you know how I could check that? And is that something that is easily sorted? :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
not really,you need to connect between the engine and cars chassis,not the battery.
but doubling up on all these lowers resistance anyway and it all helps...if only to build in more reliability in the long run,as well as lower cable resistance
neil
so in short connect a jump lead from the battery to engine and then engine to body, if only to see if it all behaves ...good luck

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Do you know how I could check that? And is that something that is easily sorted? :)
Lift the carpet, mop up any water, find the connector and part it. Dry both parts initially with hair dryer, then spray with electrical contact cleaner (not WD40 - it leaves a sticky residue).

Dry the carpet. Reassemble everything, reconnect battery and test.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts