Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Again Chaps & Chapettes

Recently I bled the whole system on my 407 and put new fluid in as the old one was brown and the brakes where to be honest pants :nono:

They seem better with the new fluid in but not much so I was wondering if its a common issue or something terminal as the MOT is due in June.

Ill be honest I have been driving the wife's Passat all week for work as she has diesel and offered ( Yes I'm Officially a cheapskate ). I drove my 407 today and the brakes seemed really poor If I press the brake hard the car does stop but there is a lot of travel the pedal will go to the floor then the ABS will kick in. If I sit in the car and press the peddle with the engine running the peddle will stop about half way down but then slowly lower until it his the floor. I am not loosing any fluid and there is no air in the system, I also used sealed Dot 4 fluid that I had just purchased so there should not be any issues there either.

Please Help guys. :thumb:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hello Again Chaps & Chapettes

Recently I bled the whole system on my 407 and put new fluid in as the old one was brown and the brakes where to be honest pants :nono:

They seem better with the new fluid in but not much so I was wondering if its a common issue or something terminal as the MOT is due in June.

Ill be honest I have been driving the wife's Passat all week for work as she has diesel and offered ( Yes I'm Officially a cheapskate ). I drove my 407 today and the brakes seemed really poor If I press the brake hard the car does stop but there is a lot of travel the pedal will go to the floor then the ABS will kick in. If I sit in the car and press the peddle with the engine running the peddle will stop about half way down but then slowly lower until it his the floor. I am not loosing any fluid and there is no air in the system, I also used sealed Dot 4 fluid that I had just purchased so there should not be any issues there either.

Please Help guys. :thumb:
Hi
Just to let you know i have a 407 sw hdi gt and no problems with the brakes or the pedal, i think you have a problem some where.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I have the same problems on mine, in summertime (well, when using proper summer tires and it's not wet on the road) I really need to put the pedal completely to the floor to make the car brake hard. Sometimes the ABS will kick in, sometimes not.

I also have the same feeling that if I press the pedal, it will travel a little bit before getting "hard", then it will lower slowly from there, so it seem to be something off with it.

If I give it a slight tap before I reapply the brakes, it seem to bite much further out and have a better feel.

I also bled my brakes a lot of times, pumped through 2 litres of fluid, also did the ABS de-airing procedure twice, but to no help.

Btw. Just adding new fluid shouldn't make any difference to the old fluid, it only improves the boiling temperature and anti-corrosion properties of it, not the pedal feeling. Only air in the system, or some other internal leak etc. should change that I believe.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It surely can't be air.

I've bled a lot of brakes on different cars and once it's bled it's bled..

I'm thinking more of it beeing an internal leak in the MC or in the ABS pump.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hard pads will cause it yes. I had to change pads in a car once as it wouldn't pass the national car test as it had too much pedal travel. The pads were Sparco. Fitted Mintex pads and the pedal was fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I agree that the pedal travel can be slightly dependent on the pads, if the pad has an awful friction coeffisient that is. I would guess most pads doesnt have this problems.

But the main problem is that the pedal is creeping inwards, after it has been pressed and come to an temporary halt. This is unrelated to the pads, as you can feel it when car is stationary with engine running.

·
Registered
909 Posts
could it be the vacuum pump or somethin on the air side causin this??

David my car has all genuine peugeot parts for the brakes fitted at main dealer when i bought the car, to be honest they only changed front pads and my brakes are exactly like described in original post. They work but pedal does slowly travel near to the floor

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I can't believe it's the vacum-pump either. But you could try to measure vacum in the brake servo during this sequence, but after all the brake fluid is the medium that is suppose to stop the movement due to a final stabilized pressure.

The brakehoses will expand a bit and such, but it should not be as much as letting the pedal start moving slowly like it does.

·
Registered
909 Posts
could it be a natural thing with these cars as they use the brake fluid reservoir for the clutch too.

David wats your experience with this on the 407's??

·
Registered
909 Posts
like i say, is it a problem or is it we're all used to a really firm pedal??

My brakes work fine, stop the car great with no fear of them not, but there is plenty pedal travel

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I also have a lot of pedal travel. I think the ABS should kick in before the pedal is completely to the floor, as that doesn't sound too safe in my mind...

I will have to test drive my dads 407 petrol again to see how that is...
But I remember it did bite much earlier than mine last time I tried it.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
could it be a natural thing with these cars as they use the brake fluid reservoir for the clutch too.

David wats your experience with this on the 407's??
Never had a problem like described on a 407 ever. That side of the braking system doesn't give trouble.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What brand pad have you?

I just have a brand from my local motor factors nothing special like I have always done on my cars. If I brake gently no problems at all its more when I need to brake hard that the peddle travels really far to the point of me having little confidence at all think I will book it into the local kwik suit and get them to test to see if they are good enough for an mot as it nay be just in my head but better safe than sorry and feed back from there .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Peugeot Brake Performance

If the pedal is going to the floor you have a leak somewhere and air in the system. The fluid in the hydraulic system does not compress noticeably when set up correctly.

I suggest you check the seals on the callipers and also the master cylinder.

If the pedal stays hard then the type and condition of the pads and disks will affect the braking performance. Good disks and good quality pad will work best in most conditions even if the disk is on the hot side.

Disks, callipers and pads can be bought for reasonable sums of a popular auction site or good motor factors.

I have just done an overhaul on a 406 and the overall cost was reasonable. Cleaning up the ABS sensors also cured my intermittent ABS fault.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts