Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had my 2.2hdi 407sw stored since the autumn, with the battery disconnected.

i have just reconnected it and no power, so conencted it to a ford c-max via jump leads and have got battery power, radio etc all working. its been conencted to the runningford now for about 10 mins but i cant get the 407 engine to start. when i turn the key in the ignition it doesnt do the usual click just before the engine starts and although everything on the car works the engine doesnt.

am i missing something simple? would appreciate any help at all possible while we have daylight! thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just changed fuse number 8 in the engine bay which is a 20amp fuse that had blown. t now sounds like itwants to start but doesnt have the power. leaving it conencted to the other car for now to see if that helps, any other thoughts what this could be?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
all done now! the 20amp fuse blew again so i hae changed it for a 25amp one for now, the car is moving a mile into longer temr storage so will deal with any issues when i get it back. engine running now, bit rough grante dbut running, so can at least move it and forget about it til the summer. thats the biggest, most expensive garden ornament on the street gone

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
You need a new starter motor if it blows the 20A fuse.

Putting a 25A might work for some time, but you could possibly burn off some of the wiring in your car, so wouldn't really recommend it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi thanks for the reply. i have moved the car the approx 1 mile i needed to, it drove ok for the short journey.

i have parked it in the field where its being stored, will go back tomorrow to park it in exactly the right place and disconnect the battery, will then be stored until probably the mid/end of the summer.

is a new starter motor a big job? im guessing so? i will also need to get it serviced for the first time in years, was on 40k the last time it was serviced, is now on about 155k!

the clutch pedal vibrates a little when depressed for the first half inch so im guessing a new clutch/dmf is on the horizons too?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea not expecting it to be cheap.if you dd the clutch/servicewith cam belt etc it probably comes tomore than the car is worth, but I am v reluctant to sell it as it is such a good car to drive when looked after

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well here we go again. car needs to move this week, will be stored for another 10-14 days before being bought back to life and back into use. loads of cosmetic stuff to do, dreading what the mot might throw up, and from memory I think I had the depollution fault warning last time I started it (6+ months ago), will be moving it 1 night this week all being well, only about a mile, across private land so no issue with mot etc, but it will be done by the last weekend of the month and back in use. cant believe the tyres are still all inflated but bet they are badly perished. there is grass growing up through the engine bay and out the bonnet as well as through the wheels, but I bet with some tlc itll be fine!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
moved the car today, prior to its mot this Friday. I got warnings telling me I had a puncture on 1 tyre but it appears fine so will deflate/reinflate it later to see if that helps, other than that a fairly easy start up. I took some photos of it in situ which ill upload later, and after the 1.5mile trip home it still has loads of grass/snails etc all over it but at least it moved. the orange engine light was on the whole trip as was the depollution fault. am I right in thinking the additive should help remove the depollution fault? not sure why the engine light is on, maybe need to be left running to get some oil through it etc?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well ive done a few basic checks today and have the following issues:

1- front electric windows very juddery up and down and drivers window doesn't go down with a single press, needs constantly pressing.

2- engine warning light is on, I know this could be any number of things and could be removed on the diagnostic machine when it goes in for its mot. the car seems to run very smoothly considering its been stood so long and the engine seems fine so no obvious issue.

3- depollution fault message, am I right in thinking the additive that you put in will cure this? if so will it happen automatically or will I need a dealer to tell it ive added the additive?

4- rear tyres look 'brittle', they haven't deflated but did lose some pressure, they are part worn Pirellis with minimal tread left so ill replace these anyway just hoping they go through the mot. fronts are in exceptionally good condition and held 90% of their pressure despite being sat in grass for over a year.

basically the radio/lights etc all work as they should, mechanically no new issues noticed and other than the car feeling 'cold' due to lack of use everything appears ok, im confident with a good few miles on a long run itll be back to itself.

there is a definite nibble/bite/friction when you depress the clutch, bit of a rattling sound, but only happens in or v close to neutral, once in gear its fine, could this suggest the dmf/clutch is on its way out? in over 500000 miles I am yet to experience a clutch failure so I don't know what to look for!

any advice re the above would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Sounds like basically it needs using.

The DPF may simply be overdue a regen.
You'll need to take it out for at least 10 miles before it's got enough heat in it to attempt a regen... then it's time to start with the diagnostics.

Given that it's been sat and the battery has been flat I wouldn't trust any fault code that's logged right now. I'd clear them all, drive it round, and see what comes back.

If it's on 155k then I'd say you're into DMF territory. Typical noise is an aperiodic tick/rattle in neutral. (Having mine done on Tuesday.)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the reply, will do my best to prep it for the mot. the mot is being done about 6 miles away on country roads all the way though (rural part of yorks), so will have a good run there. cant really do more as its untaxed ending the outcome of the mot. assuming it passes itll be taxed that day and will get a really good run next weekend.

do you know what sort of bill you are expecting for your dmf? mine is on 153k (thought it was higher than that but my mistake), and hasn't been touched by a mechanic since 40k, only 2 stamp in the service book, one at 21k and one at 40k. I bought it brand new and have just run it into the ground but am willing to spend a few quid restoring it to its former self if I can

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Quotes down here were about £1250 :eek:

So I'm going to a place near Birmingham that I used to use when I lived there who quoted £750 and use LUK parts. (Although there might be a concentric slave cylinder to add onto that.)

The solid conversion kits seem to come in at about £300 but every mechanic I've spoken to says no to solid conversions.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
not cheap are they, but I guess it needs to be done. I was keen on the solid conversion but have also been warned off doing it, just don't get why they are so expensive its more than the car is worth but I don't want to part with it

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well it went in for its mot at 8am and has passed, already done about 100 miles in it this evening. advisory on lower ball joints (which were replaced at approx. 90-100k so have only done 50-60k), rear tyre tread which I am replacing anyway and 1 rear shock absorber slight misting of oil on it, other than that the tester sais he couldn't believe how good it looked mechanically considering its background.

dmf definitely needs replacing, whats the best price anyone has found on this?

other than needing a really good clean the car feels/seems great, cant wait to use it again

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Result :D

Had my DMF & clutch done this week for £750 at a place near M5 J2 that I used to use when I lived near there. The quotes I was getting down here were about £1200. They should have charged more because it took longer than the 6 hours claimed by autodata (they had to strip the suspension down in order to get the gearbox out). I offered more but they insisted on honouring their quote.

·
5,027 Posts
Thats a good result after its been stood awhile :thumb:
Shows it must have been looked after BEFORE it was laid up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it was looked after in the sense that I didn't lend it to any boy racers or my wife, but that's about it. not been serviced since 40k, not even an oil change, im genuinely stunned how well it copes with so little care. a few little things I need to sort and the dmf but otherwise its all good

1 - 20 of 22 Posts