Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody.

Have a lovely 4 year old 407 - champagne colour. Don't seem to be able to get the aircon to work properly.

The blowers are working fine. Increasing the heat makes the temp rise and decreasing to minimum makes the air flow coolish. However, it is not icy cold which I would expect an aircon to be when turned to minimum.

Any idea what might be wrong?

G

·
Hi - and welcome to the forum!

If you have not had the aircon checked by a dealer, then I suggest you take it along and get them to check the gas/oil levels.

This will probably cost £30-£50.

I think KwikFit are even doing a deal that if they cannot improve the cooling by 10% then its free.

All aircons loose a degree of gas over time, and I would guess that is all that is wrong. At least, this is the best and cheapest thing to try.

Befor the dealer refills the system (they remove the existing oil and gas) they should pressure test the system for leaks with nitrogen. This is so they dont insert more gas knowing its going to escape in a few days time!

I would personally not waste your money buying one of the DIY regass kits - you have no easy DIY way of checking lubrication nor for leaks (without spending £££).

David

G

·
45 bones from KwikFit

If its found to be leaking beforehand, car back to you, no charge :)

If it isnt leaking they'll re-gas and oil it, and as david said, if they cant get it 10% colder then no charge there either!

Thats how i discovered my dodgy valve, i wasnt really a fan of kwikfit until they gave me some pointers and info on aircon, all for free :thumb:

My top tip would be try and go on a cold day, would be harder for them to get a reading i imagine :lol:

Edit: when you switch the aircon on, do you hear a click and a change in engine noise?

G

·
Stubbo said:
My top tip would be try and go on a cold day, would be harder for them to get a reading i imagine :lol:
Many aircon units wont work if the outside ambient temperature is below 16-18 degrees, so if its too cold, then they cant really test.

D

G

·
:( thats my plan gone to buggery then!

On another note i never knew that, suppose its common sense because aircon only cools to 16 doesnt it?

And i guess thats why kwikfit's deal is subject to ambient temp as well

It all makes sense now!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys

Thanks for the information David, I am impressed with the quick response to my problem.

Stubbo, thanks too. I couldn't help but laugh at your plan going to buggery - hey, we all learn something new every day;)

I don't hear a click and a change in engine noise - why, what would that mean?

I have only had the car 4 months and I have just realised I have two years free parts and labour. Do you think they would sort the aircon out free of charge?

G

·
The click and change in engine noise would indicate the electric clutch engaging the compressor, worth trying this when the car is on tickover as it'll be more apparent then

However the compressor will only kick in if there is sufficiant pressure in the aircon system, bit of a catch 22 i'm afraid!

If it does turn out to be something with the compressor then that should be covered under parts and labour, i wouldnt have thought the gas would be as it leaks out of all cars

maybe try and blag it and say you'e only just come to use it now its hot, and realised it doesnt work?

And all my plans go to buggery in one way or another, cant wait for the day one actually works :lol:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:rofl:

I just love people with a good sense of humour.

Thanks Stubbo.

You do know you are talking to a 'donkey' when it comes to cars. I start it in the morning and if it doesn't start, I ring 'a very nice man that can';)

Would it mean anything different if I told you the car was automatic - because you mentioned 'clutch':confused:

I have only started to try the aircon because the temp here in England is 102 degrees (I'm melting)

Not sure where you are from. I joined a gardening site which houses mainly members from Canada and America.

Off to watch Andy Murray at Wimbledon - thanks again.

G

·
Hi

Thats good news that you have a warranty, as if there is a leak, then its nearly always costly to fix.

I would expect that the refridgerant may not be under warranty, as Stubbo says, as its really a service item much like engine oil.

You have returned the chuckle :D , as Stubbo means AIRCON COMPRESSOR clutch, not the one that is absent from under your left foot!!!

Best plan is take it to the dealer - they will probably "fob" you off with a recharge of refridgerant. Keep a close eye on it going forward and if it looses its cooling ability, then get back in there and they will have to replace whatever the failing component is - under warranty.

Dont, whatever you do, is wait and then get hit with a big bill. Replacing the compressor could cost £450-£500 or perhaps more.

Given the car is pretty new to you, unless you have done mega miles since buying it, you could even argue that the fault was present at time of sale should they get sticky and try and wriggle out of the warranty repair, remind them of that. (Sale of goods act will protect you for 6 months post purchase, regardless of warranty).

Anyway - forget cars...enjoy the tennis and that bottle of wine I just heard you open...

David

G

·
BestGear said:
Hi

You have returned the chuckle :D , as Stubbo means AIRCON COMPRESSOR clutch, not the one that is absent from under your left foot!!!

David
Whoops! indeed i did mean the compressor clutch! :D

Anyway welcome to the forums, stick around and you might not need to call the "nice man" ever again :p

Rich

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi guys regarding the aircon not working when the outside temperature is below 17. How come in the middle of winter the aircon stops my windows from fogging up? And if you press the auto front window demist button the car switches on the aircon automatically?

G

·
Iamtony said:
Hi guys regarding the aircon not working when the outside temperature is below 17. How come in the middle of winter the aircon stops my windows from fogging up? And if you press the auto front window demist button the car switches on the aircon automatically?

Hi

What you will probably find is that the aircon probably cant reduce the temperature if below 17, but will still dehumidify... which is what its doing when clearning the fog from your screen.

Remember too that aircon still dehumidifies when you have the heater on, so its not just all about cooling the air temp.

David

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok thanks Sonic.

My car is due a service mid August. So seeing as the temps have dropped - I guess I'll wait until it has its service and hopefully get them to sort out the aircon too.

G

·
Mad Millie said:
ok thanks Sonic.

My car is due a service mid August. So seeing as the temps have dropped - I guess I'll wait until it has its service and hopefully get them to sort out the aircon too.

I would ensure you get it tended to, as neglect can end up costing ££££

That means a few crates of wine less that month...

D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I am not using the aircon in terms of blowing cool or hot air (no comments please) and it is always turned off, should that not be alright to wait until the service is due?

·
Registered
239 Posts
lots of misconception about the A/C,
if you don't use it the pipes bleed over time rendering the system useless,
turn it on at least once per month regardless of weather it works hot and cold,
this keeps the system operative,
failure to do so rots the seals and it leaks thus increasing repair bills and condenser fail,

similar to blood flow! choke it and loose a body part due to lack of use.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK but it is only a month before the service so I feel that hopefully I can last out until then... I'll switch it on once or twice in the meantime though - so it gets a little use. Thanks

1 - 20 of 36 Posts