Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Don't get me wrong, I love my 407 (2.0 Ltr) it is 2 and a half years old and had one previous owner.
I find pulling away at junctions scary as hell. I put my foot down and it just never gets going.
I have to giveit huge revs to pull off quickly. Lord knows hoe Parkers have the 0-60 time as 8.8 seconds. That is only 0.8 of a second off my V6 Vectra which went like **** off a shoevel.
Is this a common trait or do you think my car needs looking at?
I recently changed the plugs but it made no difference.

Any advice would be fab.

Chris

·
Registered
862 Posts
(GTV)Chris said:
Hi,

Don't get me wrong, I love my 407 (2.0 Ltr) it is 2 and a half years old and had one previous owner.
I find pulling away at junctions scary as hell. I put my foot down and it just never gets going.
I have to giveit huge revs to pull off quickly. Lord knows hoe Parkers have the 0-60 time as 8.8 seconds. That is only 0.8 of a second off my V6 Vectra which went like **** off a shoevel.

Any advice would be fab.

Chris

Hi there and welcome to the forum :thumb:

I would say to get it checked out. I drive a 407 hdi and it pulls like a train and accelerates through the gears with ease. Here are some potential problems-
- incorrect gapping at the spark plugs
- incorrect fitting of timing belt or maybe slipping timing belt
- clogged fuel filter
- low cylinder(s) compression
- faulty fuel pump/low pressure from fuel pump
- air leak at throttle body,inlet manifold,any of the hoses linked to them
- problem with fuel injection
- slipping clutch

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YIKES.... That's quite a list. I have seen a post on here with someone saying they have experienced similar issues.
If I rev it to at least 2000 rpm it takes off better but take out the clutch at the same time as accelerate and its really slow.
I suppose it's due its next 20000 service but i bet they just change the oil and thats it :)
I have toyed with getting a K&N panel filter or maybe a cold air induction kit and a stainless steel exhaust...

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
862 Posts
(GTV)Chris said:
YIKES.... That's quite a list. I have seen a post on here with someone saying they have experienced similar issues.
If I rev it to at least 2000 rpm it takes off better but take out the clutch at the same time as accelerate and its really slow.
I suppose it's due its next 20000 service but i bet they just change the oil and thats it :)
I have toyed with getting a K&N panel filter or maybe a cold air induction kit and a stainless steel exhaust...

Cheers

Chris
BMC panel filters are better and there CDA induction kit is better again. The other post i think you are reffering to was re-guarding a automatic 407,they do seem to have a slight lag before accelerating. dont get it serviced at a dealer find a good independant peugeot will crucify you with there service charges.

C

·
0 Posts
(GTV)Chris said:
Hi,

Any advice would be fab.

Chris
The 2.2 petrol is 8.7 to 60. Peugeot themselves claim north of 10 seconds for the 2 litre. Having driven several of each there is a big step between the performance.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Presuming yours is petrol. Mine is 407 sv 5 yrs 60000 miles. I have driven this forum mad with a depollution issue (mostly fixed now) but some of what came out of it might help you:

I had a faulty injector. In the few weeks before consistent failure I experienced poor pickup from low engine speed.

I have blanked off between engine and EGR valve thus stopping it working. Pickup from low speed is now much better. Mine is auto, so I have to let the software decide on clutch/revs combination. Previously there was a "hangfire" on kickdown, now it is almost gone.

Be careful, I'm probably obsessing about my own (limited) experience and would hate to push you in the wrong direction. Also I'm not quite sure what the EGR blanking will do to my fuel consumption or emissions. :scared:

C

·
0 Posts
Sod the emissions! Am I right in thinking that removing the EGR didn't cause the engine management light to illuminate (although I think it still logs a fault on the ECU)? If so, I might blank mine off too. They're a pain in the arse just waiting to happen.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I share your sentiments concerning emissions but might have to think again when MOT time comes round! I'll try it and see. Unfortunately I have the engine light on with depollution system faulty most of the time now, and the code is recirc system. As everything seems to be working better than ever now, it 's likely to be the blanking that's caused the warning. In the end it makes no difference to the car and isn't really capable of "hiding" a separate problem- in nearly all cases an engine management problem will affect how the car runs. So I'm going to keep my 3 inch bit of travel sweet tin firmly in place!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts