Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I've jusy ordered a 407 2.7L Coupe GT with 35,000 on the clock, one owner. Before I pick up the car it will be serviced at Peugeot RRG and be given a years MOT. Plus a one year parts and labour warranty (all sounds good so far http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif).

Reading around the internet I came across some information (which I now can't find) concerning the timing belt change interval. Although the car I've ordered has relatively low mileage it is approaching its sixth year anniversary (in January 2012). The information suggested that the timing belt should be changed after six years.

Can anyone provide any advice on this?

What is the recommended mileage that triggers a timing belt change?

How much are the timing belts (fitted)?

Should I be concerned?

I going to ask Peugeot if the timing belt has been replaced already and if not is it covered under the warranty.

Are timing belts generally included under in the service?

If they are then should I assume they will have needed to replace it in the service, before I pick it up! (I never assume anything!!).

Please can you arm me with some advice before I call Peugeot - Should I consider walking away from this one if the timing belt needs to be changed in the next two/three months?

Hope you can see where I'm coming from on this issue - the internet is powerful but you can't always trust what you read http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/images/smilies/extra/lol.gif

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Peugeots are usually 140k or ten years depending on Engine , i would think 70k would be best all round , no warranty on timing belt , get them to fill up your eloys fluid if you have a DPF .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Peugeots are usually 140k or ten years depending on Engine , i would think 70k would be best all round , no warranty on timing belt , get them to fill up your eloys fluid if you have a DPF .
OK I'll find out if there is a DPF - just had a quick read up on "eloys fluid" - why do they come up with these things - if it wasn't for forums like this and the sharing of information - you wouldn't have any idea what was going on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice,
I think this is a good rule of thumb but in cases like this its good to have the correct information – I’ve obvioulsy tried searching for the answes but not fund them until now. The Peugeot site just says the car is not in production any more, which is not very helpful

J

·
0 Posts
I'm afraid timing belts aren't included in services at Peugeot.... just the routine stuff, oil and filters and the like.

They have quoted me about £250-£300 fitted for a timing belt kit on my 2.0HDI... just something for you to benchmark against, although I doubt yours will need it yet... mine is 160k miles or 10yrs, and I can't imagine yours being too much different. I doubt I'll be leaving it quite that long, but they have told me that they've never had one break :eek:

D

·
0 Posts
2.7 hdi is the worst engine in psa group

the same is in jaguar

better is buy 3.0 petrol
I was always afraid to be so straight!
Kick a man while he's down.
It is a Ford engine afterall.
Realistically get it serviced on time etc and it should be ok.
There is nothing out there that is 100% reliable these days.

J

·
0 Posts
Couldn't agree more.... no matter how much money you spend on it!
I'd much rather buy Peugeot cheapish and spend, than by expensive German and still end up spending :nod:

·
Registered
546 Posts
I was always afraid to be so straight!
Kick a man while he's down.
It is a Ford engine afterall.
Realistically get it serviced on time etc and it should be ok.
i not joked this is very seurious problem with 2.7 hdi engine it is wrong construction

1 - 15 of 15 Posts