Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my leak and temp issues sorted, having replaced the water pump.

However, the oil temp still can get quite high. It is winter here in NZ now, and last weekend on a 100mile trip, there is a portion of road over some hills, stuck in traffic at low speed in the rain (about 40mph) the oil temp climbed to about 110-115c, yet the revs were no high, as I guess the turbo was pulling me up the hills. Or is that why? low speed, turbo temp, not a lot of air swooshing over the motor, although what air there was would have been about 13c.

The coolant temp remained relatively stable at around 90c, give or take on the dial anyway.

I guess I just find it a little distracting as both needles move a lot, whereas in my previous 19 car history, they tend to be pretty stable on the needle (even though an OBD live data would show considerably more, especially on a 528i where it was hitting 108c sitting in London traffic).

anyone elses oil temp gauge move around a bit?

·
Registered
812 Posts
So what you are saying is that the oil temp gauge is working as intended?

When you are hauling a 1.7 tonne car up a hill, it is going to have to work hard. That is going to increase temps.
When you are doing stop start traffic, the reduced airflow and getting that 1.7 tonne car to move is hard work. That is going to increase temps.

That is just normal and you *SHOULD* expect the oil gauge needle to move. If you have a car and the oil temp gauge doesn't move as intended, I would be far more worried.

115c is just fine. Engine oil is designed to run over 100c so any moisture in the oil evaporates. It's around 140c I would start worrying.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what you are saying is that the oil temp gauge is working as intended?

When you are hauling a 1.7 tonne car up a hill, it is going to have to work hard. That is going to increase temps.
When you are doing stop start traffic, the reduced airflow and getting that 1.7 tonne car to move is hard work. That is going to increase temps.

That is just normal and you *SHOULD* expect the oil gauge needle to move. If you have a car and the oil temp gauge doesn't move as intended, I would be far more worried.

115c is just fine. Engine oil is designed to run over 100c so any moisture in the oil evaporates. It's around 140c I would start worrying.
Ok, thats fine then. I've just never had an oil temp before, not that I can recall anyway. So just seeing it moving around so much was a little distracting, largely because of the coolant temperature issues I had as well, just wanted to be sure that I had fixed the problem and there wasn't something still going unchecked.

I just don't remember it moving in summer so much, on much hotter days so, but as long as its not getting exceedingly hot, I'll take it.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts