Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi all;
bought my 407 on Saturday; chuffed to bits with it! awesome car to drive and very comfortable etc.
its going back to the garage Sunday because of a slight hic-coughing when im cruising.
basically it will accelerate fine, plenty of power etc but if you then let off the power to just happily roll along at, say 60 mph, it will start to pull back; almost like its choking or starting to miss-fire. Its not major; but it is noticeable. Also idles very "lumpy" when cold. so im suspecting EGR
I experienced similar on my previous car (Astra) which was the EGR unit. So ive pulled mine on the 407 and de-ckoed it with carb cleaner etc but the fault is still there.

before she goes back to the garage is there anything else i could try? on the Astra i could run the car with the EGR unplugged; it threw up the engine management light but it ran perfectly; great for diagnosing the EGR.
i read that the 407 will enter limp mode if i try that? is that the case or could i try the EGR disconnect to test?
it had a new coil-pack fitted before i bought it; it was throwing up a fault code apparently. it not throwing up any fault codes at all at the moment..appart from the tyre pressure warning, which i suspect is either a faulty sensor or a non sensored valve fitted so im happy to have a beep after 1 mile of motoring.
the garage isnt moaning about having it back to check etc and its all under warranty but i like to know these things myself and have some idea about what im talking if the garage does start to ask or hint they cant find anything wrong. forewarned and fore armed so to speak.
any help and ideas are much appreciated.

·
11,992 Posts
I'd recommend carb cleaner on the mass air flow sensor and any other air measuring sensors on the air pipes.

Try disconnecting the mass air flow sensor and see if it drives better unplugged.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mass flow air sensor? ok where will i find that?
without a haynes manual im kind of scuppered! dont know enough of the engine yet to hunt things out! LOL!
if its too fiddly i will just leave it to the garage to look into, but if its a 2 min job, like removing the EGR then im happy to have a play.
cheers for answer

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
You tried some good injector cleaner in your fuel give it a good blast out and use a good petrol not supermarket rubbish.

Is there an inline fuel filter on them change that.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The MAF will be in between airfilter and air intake round tube like with sensors attached about size of your fist if your normal sized and not a man mountain :D

·
Registered
580 Posts
mass flow air sensor? ok where will i find that?
without a haynes manual im kind of scuppered! dont know enough of the engine yet to hunt things out! LOL!
if its too fiddly i will just leave it to the garage to look into, but if its a 2 min job, like removing the EGR then im happy to have a play.
cheers for answer
Just did my EGR valve at the weekend. Easy, took me approx. 20 mins to take it off first time. I have also had the suggestion of blocking it off if it causes any more problems. Already got the blanking plate ready. Mine seems to be behaving itself at present so shall wait and see. Spayed Wynn's EGR3 through the air intake as well.
Malcolm.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
yeah the EGR was pretty easy to sort..other than dropping my 13mm ratchet head down the back of the engine bay...which got lost.....
though the egr bolt i dropped next fell straight through onto the ground underneath! LOL go figure...
anyway that seemed fairly clean...though to be fair i cleaned the hell out of my old Astra EGR and it still played about; but a new unit made all the difference in the world.
sometimes with EGR's it would seem cleaning will work, and others it wont.
all of this is really a process of me learning what "might" be the issue and then being able to say to the garage...please check this out!

·
11,992 Posts
If you go to Euro Car Parts web site and put in your reg details you can search for these parts and you'll get a picture of what it looks like.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok this is getting weird now.
the garage has had the car for a week and gotten no closer to resolving the issue...im getting the feeling they might be floundering about in the dark a little to be fair.
ive been researching this all myself and with a couple of calls to Peugeot parts it would seem there is no Mass air flow sensor on the 407 2.0 litre petrol?
might just have an egr and a MAP sensor??.
does this sound reasonable? anybody know for sure?
without a Haynes manual im kind of scuppered because i simply dont know enough myself.
think i might have the car back tommorrow; the garage has called Peugeot and the engineer has said just clean the usual because chances are there is very little else that might cause the issue. which i kind of suspected anyway.
the only thing i could find when looking was a small sensor on the front of the manifold..which from internet research would be a MAP sensor.
can a failing one of these cause the same issues as failing MAF sensor?

·
11,992 Posts
Did you put your reg details into Euro Car Parts? When you do it will show you what's available for your car.

Or you could use Servicebox or Autodata, both are freely available and will give you comprehensive diagrams of your engine and components.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not used either..im an IT techie, if it dont have a keyboard im buggered! know very little about cars but learn things about the cars i do own and attempt to do the things that can be attempted! LOL!
im just learning what i can..the best way to do that is to ask the people who know....:). euro parts list a MAP sensor for the car; in fact they list two..so without the actual car infront of me i cant check the part number.
but would one of these failing a: flag up a fault code (of which there are none being shown) and b: cause the issues?

·
Registered
15 Posts
not used either..im an IT techie, if it dont have a keyboard im buggered! know very little about cars but learn things about the cars i do own and attempt to do the things that can be attempted! LOL!
im just learning what i can..the best way to do that is to ask the people who know....:). euro parts list a MAP sensor for the car; in fact they list two..so without the actual car infront of me i cant check the part number.
but would one of these failing a: flag up a fault code (of which there are none being shown) and b: cause the issues?
Did you ever get this sorted?

I have what sounds like the same issue with the same knowledge... :)

Mine is more pronounced when cold...???

C

·
0 Posts
Alas, the EW10 has no MAF, being MAP equipped as it is.

EGR is a possiblilty, but not all that common. Coil packs starting to break down can cause odd and inconsistent running and idle problems, and I once came across one like this where 4 new plugs cured it a treat.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alas, the EW10 has no MAF, being MAP equipped as it is.

EGR is a possiblilty, but not all that common. Coil packs starting to break down can cause odd and inconsistent running and idle problems, and I once came across one like this where 4 new plugs cured it a treat.
Egr and map both replaced as was coil pack. Dunno about plugs. Last code read was an injection issue and the garage has spoken to Peugeot and they have pointed towards injectors. So whether they will be replacing those is still to be seen.
Need to call tomorrow and find out....getting depressed about it all now :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
407 2.2 petrol starting problems

Hi.
i have a 407 2.2 2005 recently i have starting problems.
when i ignite it, it will start for a second and then shut down. again 3-6 times and it start for two seconds and shut down. again and for a bit more but as i push in some gas, it shut down immediately. so on like this for 10-12 times and then finally it will start. i should not push the gas because it will shut it down. after a minute i can drive it.
i have already changed the air filter and the plugs. should i change the gas filter or is it a problem with the sensors? what is the problem?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts