Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, new to the forum but long time lurker.

I have a 2.0hdi RHR that had previously developed a huge water leak and has a suspected warped head (pressure in the coolant system, blowing all the coolant out the header tank even on starter only) and have managed to source a low mileage 73k replacement engine from a C5. This is going to work out far cheaper than removing the head for pressure testing and machining and going through all the costs involved.

The engine swap is like for like and I am fairly competent with my tools but I am struggling to find any info on whether it is possible to remove the engine and gearbox upwards with a hoist as I am working on a driveway with no ramp.

It is 2.0hdi with the 6-speed manual so it is shoehorned in width ways with very little room between the chassis legs so I am assuming the gearbox will need to come out as there doesn't seem to be enough room to separate them in the car.

Has anyone on here actually done a swap on the ground or am I urinating into the wind?! Any advice is much appreciated as I haven't committed to the replacement engine but I will be collecting it this week.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hi All, new to the forum but long time lurker.

I have a 2.0hdi RHR that had previously developed a huge water leak and has a suspected warped head (pressure in the coolant system, blowing all the coolant out the header tank even on starter only) and have managed to source a low mileage 73k replacement engine from a C5. This is going to work out far cheaper than removing the head for pressure testing and machining and going through all the costs involved.

The engine swap is like for like and I am fairly competent with my tools but I am struggling to find any info on whether it is possible to remove the engine and gearbox upwards with a hoist as I am working on a driveway with no ramp.

It is 2.0hdi with the 6-speed manual so it is shoehorned in width ways with very little room between the chassis legs so I am assuming the gearbox will need to come out as there doesn't seem to be enough room to separate them in the car.

Has anyone on here actually done a swap on the ground or am I urinating into the wind?! Any advice is much appreciated as I haven't committed to the replacement engine but I will be collecting it this week.
It might be possible to lift the engine out.
But lowering it. It is if I remember right only 8 bolts. Engine and subframe comes out as one unit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It might be possible to lift the engine out.
But lowering it. It is if I remember right only 8 bolts. Engine and subframe comes out as one unit.
I have seen that elsewhere about lowering it but I would have no way of getting the engine out from underneath as I'm doing this on a driveway. I don't think I could lift the car high enough to clear as it's a tall engine especially still on the subframe, and I'd like to avoid stripping the entire front end if possible

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have seen that elsewhere about lowering it but I would have no way of getting the engine out from underneath as I'm doing this on a driveway. I don't think I could lift the car high enough to clear as it's a tall engine especially still on the subframe, and I'd like to avoid stripping the entire front end if possible
According to Haynes it should be possible to hoist the engine out. I have never tried it it seems like a massive job.
You need to dismantle pretty much everything gearbox starter intake and exhaust manifold must come of . But then again you need to anyway.
I would think the subframe need to come off aswell. In order to get to the gearbox bolts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to Haynes it should be possible to hoist the engine out. I have never tried it it seems like a massive job.
You need to dismantle pretty much everything gearbox starter intake and exhaust manifold must come of . But then again you need to anyway.
I would think the subframe need to come off aswell. In order to get to the gearbox bolts.
Unfortunately I have already half done the job in order to access the water pipes behind the engine and it is a mare of a job! Had to remove driveshaft, subframe, cross members etc. just to get to the bottom supports for the turbo (reconditioned the turbo while we had it out too, £400 of parts into the repair when I found the suspected warped head! It's all recently gone back in, so small advantage is most of the bolts are new and nothing should be seized this time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your confirmation though, it's gonna be a pig but as I say too far in parts wise now not to save the whole car. Does the manual say gearbox comes off in the car? I would have thought it would be too tight in there

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thanks for your confirmation though, it's gonna be a pig but as I say too far in parts wise now not to save the whole car. Does the manual say gearbox comes off in the car? I would have thought it would be too tight in there
When I changed the clutch on my old ferry I lowered the subframe and lifted the gearbox out. There is just enough room to twist it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I changed the clutch on my old ferry I lowered the subframe and lifted the gearbox out. There is just enough room to twist it out.
Ah ok, I'm going to see if I can remove the whole lot as one thing as it's all going to come out eventually. Ordered the manual online today so hopefully it will shed some light. I'll try get some pics of the process to update this thread as I go.

Reactions: barbaren
1 - 9 of 9 Posts