Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first post. I have a 2005 407 2.0hdi. Car has sat idle for about a month now.
Went to start it today and engine was struggling to turn over and there was a warning flashing up saying along the lines of "water detected in diesel filter".
I bled filter by unscrewing bottom screw. Nothing came out as I was unscrewing it and eventually screw was right out in my hand. Still nothing came out. Gave "prime pump" a squeeze and some diesel squirted out. Replaced screw. Loosened top screw on housing to release any air. Pumped again till a little diesel popped out and replaced screw and pumped till pump was firm. I only got a couple of turns before battery died so had it on one of they portable jump starter machines. first few tries was useless as battery was too flat. Left it on for half hour and now it turns better but just wont fire at all.
Is there anything else i should be doing?

C

·
0 Posts
Maybe try a new filter as it could be completely clogged up with water and gunk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool will try and get one tomorrow and give it a go. Would the blocked filter stop it from firing tho? At the moment its just turning with no attempt at fring up?

·
6,422 Posts
Possible that when the drain screw dropped out in to your hand the seal in the bottom of the filter may have fallen out and that is now a air leak in system

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im 99% sure no seal fell out but now youv mentioned the possibility im worried about it. Even if it had fell out, that wouldnt stop it firing or starting up would it? Idv thot that would maybe make it idle rough and/or conk out after starting? Im a novice at engine work tho so im not questioning your opinion. Thanks for the suggetsion. I'll check for a seal tomorrow when its light.

·
6,422 Posts
Try pumping primer bulb a few times while someone cranks the car to see if it starts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ah i did wonder about that.. Didnt want to go ahead and try anything incase it was just a mental thought. Tomorrow cant come quick enough to get trying things.. Cars doin my nut in :(

C

·
0 Posts
like Windy says seal may have fallen out after all you did say nothing came out when you 1st attempted to drain it so if there was a seal it may have fallen out a while ago hence the dry filter

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If no seal could be the reason that no water came out cos it had already drained then would that not mean that the diesel would just pour out to as it was being pumped? Can anyone confirm if the lack of seal would prevent it firing when turning over? Im just trying to cover any worries I have that I may have a bigger problem here.

C

·
0 Posts
If no seal could be the reason that no water came out cos it had already drained then would that not mean that the diesel would just pour out to as it was being pumped? Can anyone confirm if the lack of seal would prevent it firing when turning over? Im just trying to cover any worries I have that I may have a bigger problem here.
Could be but a filter is a cheap option to try 1st it may only be a very small leak after all you did say it had been left standing for a month was it running fine previous to this

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i wouldnt say it was running nicely but it was running. It was rough at idle for a while now. Had a "depolution system faulty" along with a loss of power (wouldnt go higher than 2500 revs) a while back but by time i got it it garage it had dissapeared never to return.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts