Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Been noticing the coolant temperature only ever gets as high as this:

This was taken after a 15 mile journey avg 45mph on a warm day...

Is this normal?

Appreciate any guidance!

Daniel

·
Registered
240 Posts
no,mine hovers just below 90 degrees
whatever the outdoor temp, i'd suggest a test under the bonnet with an infrared theromometer..
it could be either the stat or temp sender,
neil

·
Registered
149 Posts
These engines are extremely efficient regarding internal friction so they take a very long time to get up to temperature. So much so that Peugeot had to introduce things like a housing with glowplugs in it into the cooling system to speed it up. The quicker an engine gets up to its operating temperature the more fuel efficient it is.
You may well have a problem with a sensor etc but it may also be your driving style. If a car with your engine was driven gently for 15 miles then I would not be surprised at this temperature.

·
5,027 Posts
My 3 have all ran at different temps, this one runs about 80, doesnt overheat,heaters seem warm........................leaving it at that :nod:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 3 have all ran at different temps, this one runs about 80, doesnt overheat,heaters seem warm........................leaving it at that :nod:
That's what made me wonder, the heater is naf!

My 407s have always run bang on the middle of the dial give or take a smidge.

BTW did you take that picture with the Hubble space telescope?
Does seem very odd!

I don't get the telescope gag? :S

These engines are extremely efficient regarding internal friction so they take a very long time to get up to temperature. So much so that Peugeot had to introduce things like a housing with glowplugs in it into the cooling system to speed it up. The quicker an engine gets up to its operating temperature the more fuel efficient it is.
You may well have a problem with a sensor etc but it may also be your driving style. If a car with your engine was driven gently for 15 miles then I would not be surprised at this temperature.
To be fair, I do drive as economically as possible, always a good game to pass the time on a commute! So the engine stays below 2000rpm at all times really...

no,mine hovers just below 90 degrees
whatever the outdoor temp, i'd suggest a test under the bonnet with an infrared theromometer..
it could be either the stat or temp sender,
neil
Will bear this in mind, thank you

·
5,027 Posts
To be fair, I do drive as economically as possible, always a good game to pass the time on a commute! So the engine stays below 2000rpm at all times really...
So have you blanked the egr off yet or are you saving up for a new one along with the Dpf (assuming yours has Dpf of course)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So have you blanked the egr off yet or are you saving up for a new one along with the Dpf (assuming yours has Dpf of course)
I have blanked off the EGR and do give it the odd blast to clean things out!

I mean it's massive.
I have a 24" 1080p monitor and had to scroll to view it :)
Ohdear - sorry :S it resizes it automatically on my PC & my phone?

·
Registered
909 Posts
mine takes a while to warm up fully and on my commute to work only gets to around 80 once thermostat has opened. But my heaters are fine and i have not had a problem with it so not going to worry about it

·
Registered
687 Posts
watch how it goes as the weather gets cooler, my money is on the thermostat though. Is there a difference in time to get to a given temp on the journey home, does it rise a bit if the car is left ticking over?

I noticed my 307 was running a bit cool last year, and I kept an eye on it for a couple of weeks before deciding to change the thermostat.....fixed the issue straight away, the engine quickly comes upto temp and I can see when the thermostat opens as there is a minor drop in temp on the dash

·
5,861 Posts
I would go for thermostat. You also find slower warm up with blanked EGR as the EGR cooler is also used to heat coolant during warm up phase

1 - 14 of 14 Posts