Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the 2.5 months and 5500 miles i have had the car, 3 times i have experienced a sudden loss of power under the exact same circumstances. It has always happend when overtaking up a hill as i change up to 5th or 6th from 3rd or 4th after passing the slower traffic. Its embarasing as I zoom past them, pull in the suddenly slow right down and limp up the hill.

When the problem occurs the car has a serious lack of power and struggles to make it up hills, it also cannot maintain a motorway pace. My old 406 used to do a similar thing when is had a failing sensor but it would flag the problem up on the dash and the MFD would say it was in limp mode. Turning the 407's engine off and on again cures the problem instantly. There are no lights or warnings on the dash and pressing the check button reviels no clues either.

As i said it has only happened 3 times in 5500 miles but i'd like to get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2.2hdi 170 is finally repaired after nearly 5 weeks and has had the complete turbo assembly replaced thankfully under warranty. I think it would have been panic stations if this had happened out of warranty as Peugeot got the dealer to try all sorts of tests before finally agreeing to replace the turbos. But 4 weeks and 4000 miles in a 107 will make me appreciate my own car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow 1000 miles a week in a 107!

Ive have not had the problem re-occur for a while now, and the slipping clutch has lept ahead in terms urgency so i am pretending this fault never existed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2.0Hdi was the same i.e. it was temporarily cured by switching off and on but eventually was just a pain and at times plain dangerous. It was cured by changing the turbo solenoid valve I think and re-loading the engine management software-then it was better than new. My backside and internal organs have nearly recovered from the 107. My 2.2Hdi is turbocharged again now- Mondeos, Audis and BMWs beware!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Turbo saga continues

My 2.2 HDI 170 has been back in again as I was getting fumes in the cabin everytime I stopped at traffic lights and power/refinement were lacking. Off road 3 days- engine out- remove and refit turbos. Got car back- seems quieter and faster. Fumes only occasional now. Whilst in, the car has received a new scratch to wing and damage to both sills. The dealer's excuse for the sills is that the 407 is a heavy car and they will sort out when next in for service. Despite these cars having big, ugly jacking points everybody seems to think they can be lifted on the sills themselves- wrong!!!!!!!!. Dealings with Peugeot's customer disservice department are a total waste of time- I think they must have written Shaggy's song 'It wasn't me'. As soon as this credit crunch crap is over, the Peugeot can go and become a taxi and I will buy something German again- I just cannot stand the stress of dealing with the incompetence and lack of care.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Comparison Peugeot vs Mercedes

Just a thought about experience of 50,000 miles in a Peugeot 407 vs 50,000 miles in a Mercedes A170L CDI.
Peugeot-Off road total of six weeks, new turbo assembly. Three pairs front tyres and one pair rears, discs and pads now required all round. Driving on nerves with various warning lights and intermittent limp mode activation, despite dealer's assurances that they cannot find anything wrong. Courtesy car-107. Own car returned sometimes dirtier than when dropped off and last time damaged and no communication from dealer.
40mpg-gently driven.

Mercedes-Routine services and broken rear spring replaced at service under warranty.One pair front tyres and discs and pads to front. Only warning light seen-washer bottle low! Courtesy car E Class. Own car always thoroughly cleaned in and out to showroom condition. Dealer always phoning with update on when ready to collect.
54mpg-thrashed.

And there was a damn sight more rear room in the A Class!

G

·
your dealers a muppet! The Insignia is 400kg heavier, but Poxhaul dealers seem able to fix them without snapping them in half.

I've found Perry's in Milton Keynes to be brilliant, although I used to work with one of their techs and one of their parts supervisors when I spannered, so I'm known. The biggest problem is PSA themselves, trying to get those d***heads to recognise warranty work - the gimps replaced the head gasket on my wifes olde 207, but wouldn't replace the timing belt!!!

As for my 407, 4 years and 30k miles it has been completely, utterly, relentlessly, boringly, dependably without fault and our 308 is fast racking up some big miles and looks set to be the same.

Contrast this with my old BMW 730i E65, a proper luxury car, £58k's worth, and that was a pain in the arriss and the dealers techs were about as clever as George W.Bush. My Impreza, another car renowned for it's supposed solidity, was also an unreliable piece of kack, although the dealers were'nt so bad. Ditto my Merc S320, not especially unreliable but definately more noteworthy for it's faults than the 407. Divorce has drained my resources and i was forced back to more mundane marques (Pug simply have a little more flair than the anonymous mass market competitors, without the outright wackyness of citroen, so I reverted to Pug) and doing my research, buying carefully and choosing with car has given me some of the most reliable cars I've ever owned, and when compared with the purchase price they've been bargains indeed.

I've had 9 new or nearly new (under 3 years old still in warranty) Peugeots on da trot if you count the wifes cars, and only the 207 gave us any bother, and that was swiftly sorted by the dealers, although as I mention PSA did their level best to ferk it up. I'd be reluctant to go back to expensive, over hyped, relatively troublesome BMW, MB, Subaru or Porsche after my personal experiences with them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.