Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi iv got a 407 2.0 hdi estate I'm not used to driving turbo or even diesel as I was driving yesterday I noticed when it hits the turbo I get a little whine/whistly sound is this normal?? Cheers guys

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
A lot of people say they can hear it when the turbo is boosting and it is usually as you describe. I've been driving cars with turbo's for at least 13 years and can honestly say I've never heard one and never noticed any 'boost' from any of them. As I understand it, the turbo runs constantly but the exhaust gasses that drive the turbo are managed to run it faster when needed. The system has always run smoothly on my cars as I've never felt any kind of kick from the turbo and as i previously said, I've never heard any spooling up or down.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
As storeman says the turbo is always boosting but they do get to max boost at about 2000 rpm and the whistling noise is common but it could be a leaky joint/pipe.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When I first got my 407 2.0 after driving a pickup with no turbo you definatly notice the turbo boost when accelerating, where the van would need a gear change around 2-3000 rpm the pug just keeps pulling.
The turbo whistle was extreme at first,so loud that on deceleration I kept checking in tea view mirror for an ambulance the whine was that loud,this was a bad omen as a month or two later no boost and lots of smoke new turbo required.
Now on a quiet day with the window open at low revs you can just hear a slight whistle.
One bit of advice if you don't know what oil is in the motor change it asap for fully synthetic low saps c2 .

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
In theory, you shouldn't hear the whistling. But, the reality is that small leaks are expected between the joints, as previously said.

The only turbo diesel I've driven that didn't whistle was an Audi A3, but that was also the newest car I'd driven and was less than a year old.

If there is a small leak, it shouldn't cause you any major issues, however it's probably best to get it looked at. You'll possibly experience a lack in power if it's a significant leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK thanks guys as for the past 2 years I have driven my saxo Vts now my family car I feel a bit lost haha well going to use it today fill up with diesel checked oil fine fired her up sounds perfect on idle let it warm gave little rev didn't hear any noise but when I drive I occasionally hear a little whiring sound which I presumed is just turbo sound prob just over thinking as its all new but I will pop it to garage n get I pressure tested for leaks cheers guys again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.