Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
407 1.6hdi cranking but not starting (Solved)

Hello,
So I just bought my 407 sw (2006) the day before yesterday and this morning it wouldn't start! AHH. :-( I got it cheap as a bit of a fixer-upper, so I'll probably be haunting this forum, annoying everyone until I learn all the obvious stuff! Still I didn't expect it to die so soon..

Anyway, I had it idling yesterday, and I was just sitting inside, pressing buttons like a kid with a new toy, and I gave it a bit of a rev (only~2200rpm) nothing major and when I left the throttle off it just died. I didn't think anything of it at the time and I just wandered into the house and forgot about it.

Then this morning it wouldn't start. It's cranking (sounding fine) but won't start. I pumped the primer, which was soft, and it hardened up a bit but it still wouldn't start. I tried this several times and tried to bleed the fuel filter with the twisty thing on the top but still no-go, I think it just let more air back into the fuel line.

There's also a constant humming coming from a little solenoid thing (in the image below) it's humming as long as the ignition is turned on, and stops about 5 seconds after I turn it off. I'm not sure if this is normal, or what, since it's my first diesel, and everything is new and strange!.

There was a lot of smoke when I started it the day before, just for a few seconds, and then it was fine (didn't notice the colour, possibly heavy white). I've driven about 100 miles so far and there was no problems at all.
There's no smoke now when it's failing to start.

It would be lovely if this sounds totally obvious to somebody, and they just say "oh yea, that's the fuel filter" or whatever. :)

P.S.
I can't post images as my post count is too low, but the solenoid/motor I was talking about is on to one of the large (air?) hoses on the front left of the engine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine makes all sorts of noises when the ignition is turned on and off but used to it now lol.
Had a problem with starting a while ago especially when I parked on an upward gradient, air would collect in the filter overnight and if I started it in the morning it would run for 2 seconds and cut out when the air reached the injectors, then had to bleed the filter with a combination of the bulb and releasing the air from the housing with the screw but still it took till the battery was nearly flat to get going, I fixed it in the end by replacing the seal on the fuel filter and no probs since

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Hello,
So I just bought my 407 sw (2006) the day before yesterday and this morning it wouldn't start! AHH. :-( I got it cheap as a bit of a fixer-upper, so I'll probably be haunting this forum, annoying everyone until I learn all the obvious stuff! Still I didn't expect it to die so soon..

Anyway, I had it idling yesterday, and I was just sitting inside, pressing buttons like a kid with a new toy, and I gave it a bit of a rev (only~2200rpm) nothing major and when I left the throttle off it just died. I didn't think anything of it at the time and I just wandered into the house and forgot about it.

Then this morning it wouldn't start. It's cranking (sounding fine) but won't start. I pumped the primer, which was soft, and it hardened up a bit but it still wouldn't start. I tried this several times and tried to bleed the fuel filter with the twisty thing on the top but still no-go, I think it just let more air back into the fuel line.

There's also a constant humming coming from a little solenoid thing (in the image below) it's humming as long as the ignition is turned on, and stops about 5 seconds after I turn it off. I'm not sure if this is normal, or what, since it's my first diesel, and everything is new and strange!.

There was a lot of smoke when I started it the day before, just for a few seconds, and then it was fine (didn't notice the colour, possibly heavy white). I've driven about 100 miles so far and there was no problems at all.
There's no smoke now when it's failing to start.

It would be lovely if this sounds totally obvious to somebody, and they just say "oh yea, that's the fuel filter" or whatever. :)

P.S.
I can't post images as my post count is too low, but the solenoid/motor I was talking about is on to one of the large (air?) hoses on the front left of the engine.
after trying to start turn off leaving key in ignition and open the driver’s door, does the car beep to say the key is in the ignition?
You need to get it on planet/diagbox to read the codes and have a look at live data have a good read of the link below it explains a lot of stuff like how to contact a member with the relevant equipment needed http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/introductions-28/brief-faq-guide-new-members-83170/

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine makes all sorts of noises when the ignition is turned on and off but used to it now lol.
Had a problem with starting a while ago especially when I parked on an upward gradient, air would collect in the filter overnight and if I started it in the morning it would run for 2 seconds and cut out when the air reached the injectors, then had to bleed the filter with a combination of the bulb and releasing the air from the housing with the screw but still it took till the battery was nearly flat to get going, I fixed it in the end by replacing the seal on the fuel filter and no probs since
Hmm, my driveway is an uphill gradient alright, but mine's the square filter with the colored tabs, the all-in-one filter. Wasn't sure if I was bleeding it the right way or not. Previous owner said he'd just changed the fuel filter too.

after trying to start turn off leaving key in ignition and open the driver’s door, does the car beep to say the key is in the ignition?
You need to get it on planet/diagbox to read the codes and have a look at live data have a good read of the link below it explains a lot of stuff like how to contact a member with the relevant equipment needed http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/introductions-28/brief-faq-guide-new-members-83170/
I had a read off the new member link alright last night, no doubt I'll be back there a few more times. I think I got the beep alright with the keys inside. I am getting an ESP error, think the sensor needs to be replaced.

Anyway, I was on the way out to do a BSI reset there a few minutes ago and before I did, it started, first time, no problem. It was a good bit colder yesterday (4-5C) while today it's 7-8C. Could it be a fuel temp issue? Or something settling overnight. I haven't had a glow-plug indicator yet. It only lights up when the temp is cold enough, right?

I hate unsolved mysteries, and no doubt I'll be trying to get my hands on Peugeot Planet myself at some stage. :)

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Hmm, my driveway is an uphill gradient alright, but mine's the square filter with the colored tabs, the all-in-one filter. Wasn't sure if I was bleeding it the right way or not. Previous owner said he'd just changed the fuel filter too.

I had a read off the new member link alright last night, no doubt I'll be back there a few more times. I think I got the beep alright with the keys inside. I am getting an ESP error, think the sensor needs to be replaced.

Anyway, I was on the way out to do a BSI reset there a few minutes ago and before I did, it started, first time, no problem. It was a good bit colder yesterday (4-5C) while today it's 7-8C. Could it be a fuel temp issue? Or something settling overnight. I haven't had a glow-plug indicator yet. It only lights up when the temp is cold enough, right?

I hate unsolved mysteries, and no doubt I'll be trying to get my hands on Peugeot Planet myself at some stage. :)
what is the voltage on the battery before starting, while cranking and after starting?

check the battery connections, earth connections and starter connections even remove clean and refit as it could be a bad connection causing the starter to be under powered and not spinning as fast

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what is the voltage on the battery before starting, while cranking and after starting?

check the battery connections, earth connections and starter connections even remove clean and refit as it could be a bad connection causing the starter to be under powered and not spinning as fast
My multimeter is dead at the moment so con't check, but the battery seemed very strong when I was cranking it so I don't think that was the problem. It seemed like something was flat-out stopping it from starting, like no fuel, or an immobiliser (not sure how the immobiliser works in this model, whether it won't turn or won't start it). It was like, you know when a car is TRYING to start, almost starting, it wasn't like that.. it was a constant, strong cranking and not going any further.
Today it was starting first time, every time after about 1s.

The battery in my fob is dead too, or just about anyway (got a new one on the way) so I wonder if that had something to do with it? Sorry if that's sounds a bit stupid, but everything is still new to me, I'm gathering the knowledge slowly but surely.. :)

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
My multimeter is dead at the moment so con't check, but the battery seemed very strong when I was cranking it so I don't think that was the problem. It seemed like something was flat-out stopping it from starting, like no fuel, or an immobiliser (not sure how the immobiliser works in this model, whether it won't turn or won't start it). It was like, you know when a car is TRYING to start, almost starting, it wasn't like that.. it was a constant, strong cranking and not going any further.
Today it was starting first time, every time after about 1s.

The battery in my fob is dead too, or just about anyway (got a new one on the way) so I wonder if that had something to do with it? Sorry if that's sounds a bit stupid, but everything is still new to me, I'm gathering the knowledge slowly but surely.. :)
the battery in the fob would not stop it starting, if it does not read the key transponder then that would stop it starting (no battery needed for key transponder)

next time it does it try this, after trying to start turn off leaving key in ignition and open the driver’s door, does the car beep to say the key is in the ignition?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the battery in the fob would not stop it starting, if it does not read the key transponder then that would stop it starting (no battery needed for key transponder)

next time it does it try this, after trying to start turn off leaving key in ignition and open the driver’s door, does the car beep to say the key is in the ignition?
It did beep today when it WAS running (engine and ignition off) but I don't think it did yesterday. Can't be 100% sure now, but probably, it would have been annoying me! :) You think it wasn't recognising the transponder?

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
It did beep today when it WAS running (engine and ignition off) but I don't think it did yesterday. Can't be 100% sure now, but probably, it would have been annoying me! :) You think it wasn't recognising the transponder?
possibly yes, could be a bad connection going into comms unit or it could be the transponder areal in the key being dodgy, if you have a spare key does it do it with both, if you dont have a spare key now is a good time to get one encase it is the key

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have a spare key, unfortunately, but there was a spare fob and a 'key' in the glovebox. Haven't tested the other fob yet, and the other key doesn't fit any of the locks (door, ignition, glovebox). Weird..

My own key only works in the ignition so I'm thinking the ignition was changed at some point. There seems to have been a lot of things replaced in the car. lol..

Just a thought, I removed the spare fob from the car the other day. Would it make sense that it was the original fob with the correct transponder, and removing it prevented the car from starting? (even though it started again the next day.)

Or does the transponder have to be within a few cm's of the ignition?
Does the transponder code change when the fob is reprogrammed?

Thanks again for the replies, it's much appreciated.. :)

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
The transponder has to be close to the ignition and when you program a new key the programming code stays the same but only keys present at the time of programming will start the car

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah right. Turns out that's not the problem after all anyway.It seems with the key in it it beeps alright when the door is open..

It happened again yesterday, pumped it, and it started again fine this morning.

Until I was a few miles down the road and the car stopped with the red STOP oil light. I checked the oil, in the middle of the road (as the steering locked up too) and there's plenty oil. Started it again and oil-check was fine.

Then it cut out without the oil light and started fine.

The above incidents happened several times, starting again fine. I was just trying to get the damn thing home!

On the final hill towards home, a tiny, busy, narrow road, it cut out again. Always seems to happen at low revs (changing into 2nd gear). This time, on the hill, it wouldn't start again, tried pumping the bulb (was slack) and bleeding the fuel filter (nice bit of air coming out of it). No go.. cars piling up behind and in front of me.. AHH!

My final option (don't like doing it) was to jump-start it in reverse.. since I was on a hill, and I got it going. It tried to cut out again but I gave her loads of revs and she got me home, just about.

There seems also to be an oil leak around the air intake to the turbo. Not sure if this is the cause of my woes, I've heard mixed opinions on it..

I'm guessing there's a seal gone, somewhere..

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Ah right. Turns out that's not the problem after all anyway.It seems with the key in it it beeps alright when the door is open..

It happened again yesterday, pumped it, and it started again fine this morning.

Until I was a few miles down the road and the car stopped with the red STOP oil light. I checked the oil, in the middle of the road (as the steering locked up too) and there's plenty oil. Started it again and oil-check was fine.

Then it cut out without the oil light and started fine.

The above incidents happened several times, starting again fine. I was just trying to get the damn thing home!

On the final hill towards home, a tiny, busy, narrow road, it cut out again. Always seems to happen at low revs (changing into 2nd gear). This time, on the hill, it wouldn't start again, tried pumping the bulb (was slack) and bleeding the fuel filter (nice bit of air coming out of it). No go.. cars piling up behind and in front of me.. AHH!

My final option (don't like doing it) was to jump-start it in reverse.. since I was on a hill, and I got it going. It tried to cut out again but I gave her loads of revs and she got me home, just about.

There seems also to be an oil leak around the air intake to the turbo. Not sure if this is the cause of my woes, I've heard mixed opinions on it..

I'm guessing there's a seal gone, somewhere..
sounds like air getting in the fuel lines, take off the air filter box and check the fuel lines under it to see if they have been rubbing on the bottom of the airbox and split

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good call, just had a look there and it's definitely very wet and black and dirty on the left around the bulb pipe. Haven't had a chance to track it down yet as I don't have a proper garage, lights. Might try to rig up something later or else have a look tomorrow.
You think that might be causing the red oil-stop-light as well as the start problems?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Stop light coming on is a separate issue it is coming on when the revs drop too much and this also puts the oil light on

Long cranking times will also put it on.

Fix the running issue and the other 2 will probably go away.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stop light coming on is a separate issue it is coming on when the revs drop too much and this also puts the oil light on

Long cranking times will also put it on.

Fix the running issue and the other 2 will probably go away.
Do you mean that the car thinks there's no oil when the revs drop too low? Does it think the engine is ceasing or something, so it cuts out?

I'll get the leak sorted and see how it goes anyway.. thanks!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There was quite a bit of noise from the air doser too with the ignition turned on, (car not running). Like a squealy-whine got louder a few times, then lower (when I pumped the bulb). It was coming from the solenoid in the image on the previous page.
Still not sure what it is/does but I'm sure I'll figure it out soon, been learning a lot these last few days! :)

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
seizing not ceasing :) but no its only seeing low oil pressure because the engine is turning too slow.

Air dosers are always noisy its just people dont notice it until they are looking for issues

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ceasing.. lol, brain-fart!

Anyway..
I found the jubilee clip was a bit loose on the bulb, hopefully that's all it is. And that's where most of the black crap was too. I'll see how she runs tomorrow..

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, turns out that didn't solve the issue. I'm not convinced that it's a fuel issue (not saying it's not).
Seems most of the dirt I found around the priming bulb is oil that got blown up the intake, into the bottom of the air filter, and leaked down into the priming bulb area. Most of the lower engine is fairly manky with oil, but there's no oil leaks, so I'm assuming it's from this too, but I'm not sure.

Tried disconnecting the battery, car recognises key with door open.

Lots of white-ish (maybe a tint of blue, hard to tell) smoke when it does start. It's weird, it won't start for the whole day, and then the next morning it will start fine, although it didn't today. Dies when idling after a minute of two unless I go and drive and give it a lot of revs, but I'm afraid to do that as I don't trust it to not stop and be stuck in the middle of the road.

Thoughts?

I could take it to a mechanic, but I kind of got the car to learn, and do it myself.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts