Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a question for reliable?

I have a mintish low mileage 406HDi auto where the auto AL4 has spat the dummy. So this is the ideal time to convert to manual, [I far prefer the manual anyway..] hate the AL4.

The 406 is a late model with the 3 plug ECU. I have a manual donor vehicle with the same 3 plug ECU. I also have another manual HDi potential donor with the earlier single plug ECU.

Done extensive googling/searching but no clear answer what is involved in the electronic side.

1. Do I need to use a manual ECU or can the auto one be switched to manual using PP2000.
2. What alterations need to be done to the wiring loom apart from getting rid of the starter inhibiting circuit. Do any wires to the auto need to be cut/joined/re-routed etc... Or is it impossible and I need to use a full manual loom?[<-hopefully not..]

Going through the available wiring diagrams gives no hints; they are, quite frankly, useless. I have done dozens of auto-manual conversions in other vehicles which are from a similar era, but have always been able to source good wiring diagrams and plenty of info on the electronics/ECU's and how to flash from auto-manual etc, but nothing on this particular 406 one I want to do.

Anyone done one and can help with what needs to be done apart from the mechanical side?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
You can do it by just leaving the auto ECU in place and either set the inhibitor to neutral or park as the car wont care if its auto or manual obviously there are lots of minor differences your main issue is fitting the clutch pedal etc thats not a pleasant job !!

Doubt you will have any real issues though.
I converted my espace v6 to manual and initially left ecu in place but even with it unplugged car was happy :)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, had not looked into what is involved in the pedal swap yet, your comment does not sound encouraging! Might be the hardest part of the whole conversion..?

Will advise on progress, will strip the donor of pedal cluster first to see what degree of mongrel job it is, and decide what to do afterwards.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another question.

I have always dropped the whole engine/gearbox assembly out of the bottom, but have only ever stripped auto 406 hdi's. I am about to gut the manual donor for my conversion.
I see the esteemed haynes manual says to take the engine/manual box setup out of the top, not the bottom as for the auto setup. I always treat anything the haynes books say with more than just a fair bit of suspicion due to long experience with them, so just wonder if there is a valid reason to take the engine/manual gearbox assembly out of the top and not drop it out of the bottom.
I have both a large engine crane and also a 1 ton electric chain hoist on an overhead monorail so getting it out of the top is not an issue, just want to make sure I go in the right direction... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts