Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 406 recently started making a clunk or rather a thunk (coming from either the rack or the strut, I think) particularly when doing a right turn. Mechanic reckons it's in the rack and can't be fixed. Strut appears to be okay, though I still suspect it. I've been under the car and checked for anything which might be loose, which doesn't appear to be the case. Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cant be fixed my butt. Its probably just a tie rod. I would very suprised if the rack itself is stuffed, unless you have mega miles on it. Even then, it should be able to be reco, but I would source a low miles s/h one.

Should be an easy one to rebuild anyway, as they have the hydraulic ram seperate to the rack. Put it axle stands and start jiggling things. It only has 6 balljoints in the whole front end, and wishbone bushes are easy to see if they are shot. If its in the steering, then wiggling the wheel back and forwards should recreate the thunk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 406 is experiencing the same, but it only occurs occasionally. The mech mentioned something about "steering block", no idea what it is. My pug has done 115,000 km on mileage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ahh, really old thread but I'm going to revive it! I have the same problem. I have diagnosed it as the lower UJ (link knuckle)(Closest to the rack) on the intermediate rod. They tend to seize, even though there is a plate over the fop of the rack to protect it mine was covered in crap. The fault developed after it had sat for a month. I does it on 1/4 lock to the right (even on stands which rules out boots/links/pressure related suspension stuff) Just need to spray the hell out of it on a regular basis and it should free up.

Lee

·
5,088 Posts
this could be caused by the strut top bearing, i think its number 4 in the diagram

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you, and thanks for the diagram. Can you get to the bearing from above? I.e. is it on top of the hump that the strut bolts to or will I have to drop the whole assembly out?

Would the bearing be at fault even if clunk is there "off the road" and not under stress from the weight of the vehicle? I.e up on stands? I can also feel it through the wheel.

Many thanks

Lee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts