Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scenario:
Drove my 2003 406 HDi out on short trip in driving rain with lights on after a VERY slow start - so battery pretty much on edge after the cranking work. Foolishly turned it off, then it wouldn't re-start with immobiliser / key warning light showing. Tried locking / unlocking but fob plipper did nothing now. We sat in it waiting for AA with radio on but eventually it went into 'power saving mode'.

So we have:
Central locking on key fob INOP.
Electric windows INOP.
Ignition comes on and car will crank but with KEY warning light and 'power saving mode' showing on centre console screen.

Tried the other key = same problem.

I swapped key fob battery and bought a new main car battery. Same, and still in 'power saving mode'.

Called local garage and he tried the following:

Plugged in diagnostic which shows 2 keys registered, with only fault being no key detected.

so swapped transponder coil on ignition barrel = no change.

Tried BSI reset using method read on this forum. Problem: window won't open so I sat in it *(on centre area not seat, just in case a sensor picked me up) to do the side lights on, ignition on, lock button held down routine; while mechanic did battery connectings. This did nothing. Also tried it with door open but with catch snicked shut to make it think the door was closed. That didn't work either. We tried waiting 5 minutes, 10 minutes etc, and still the same result. made sure all interior lights off. We did notice that the battery arcs a minuscule amount when you re-connect - is that to be expected ?

IS there any other method for resetting the BSI ? :confused:

Any clues Peugeot experts ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Plugged in diagnostic which shows 2 keys registered, with only fault being no key detected.
I'd say you have found the fault yourself there. If the key is not recognised then try and recode both keys to the car.
If the car doesn't beep with the key in the ignition and the door open then the car isn't seeing the key.
I suppose if you have replaced the fob battery just make sure the transponder chip hasn't dropped out, long shot that as the other fob should still work.

I'd go with the car has forgotten the keys though.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi, I suspect the battery getting so low has confused the bsi and its lost its sync with the key. Do you have a pin number that comes with the car, its a 4 digit security number which enables the diagnostic to resend the key.
if you add your location to your details on the left and have a search for 'planet map' to find a member locally to help you out.

The power saving mode will go off when you start the engine.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK thanks - no the transponders are both present and accounted for inside their keys.

but we don't have the key code due to a careless previous owner having lost it, along with the service book.

How do I get a key code ?

If we get one, does the re-learning / introducing procedure require the diagnostic kit / mechanic ?

cheers,
Huw

G

·
0 Posts
Hi, worth checking the fuse as Reliable says - he knows his stuff....

If it turns out you need to resync the key, the PIN number is a must. This can be obtained from 'BettySwollocks' on here for a bit less than internet prices.

Sadly yes, you will also need either a member on here with Planet, or a trip to Peugeot ( you may get shafted... ) to have the transponder 'matched' to the car ( again...:nono: )

Here is a map of all the members with Planet - I couldn't post it up earlier as I was using my mobile :eek:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zWo6S8V8_aAo.kmA902W5aW7Y&msa=0&ll=54.265224,-3.383789&spn=10.238651,28.54248

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

Keys now re-programmed with newly got PIN code *(thanks) and car starts ! but..

Car now going into power save mode after 30 seconds and dip and various functions go to sleep but engine will stay running. Battery light comes on too but battery is showing 14V in reality. Diagnostics show driver's door open even when not.

Also windows, wipers etc do not work.

Assuming this is now time for a BSI reset ?

Does anyone know how to re-set BSI if you can't open the window to reach in ? is snicking the latch shut an OK method for fooling it into thinking door is shut ?

many thanks,
Huw.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Battery showing 14 volts is too much !!

Unless you mean its showing 14 volts while engine running if running then economy mode should go off and wipers windows etc start working again.

Window down etc is not essential for BSI reset but if you have had the battery disconnected then the BSI is reset to all intents

Sounds to me like a wiring issue and the running signal is not reaching the BSI is the rev counter working ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes 14v while running !

all OK until about a minute when all goes off (including rev counter) and battery light comes on. left it running for 10 mins but no change.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Rev counter going down is your issue as the BSI needs to see engine running signal to maintain all functions

I used to think it needed to see battery voltage but this is not the case as we discovered when fitting a 406 v6 engine in a 206 all it needed was a crank signal to knock out economy mode !!

Some sort of com issue between engine ecu and BSI is the likely cause although a dirty crank sensor might cause it whip it out and clean any metal filings and dust off it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
all sorted !

All sorted. not a crank sensor issue - didn't think so as rev counter worked for a minute.

did the BSI reset with door latch snicked manually closed to fool micro-switch. all fine, instantly back to life all systems go. I'll have to ask my mechanic how he managed to do the difficult key diagnostic work but forgot to reset the BSI...

engine starts really easily now with a fresh battery... doh. obviously these HDI lumps need a nice fast crank speed to fire up as it was progressively getting worse at starting (doubtless you'll all be now telling me!) there's a hard found lesson there.

so in summary:
low battery = BSI brain fade and 'losing' keys (down back of BSI sofa).
KEY code bought from 'bettyswallocks'.
keys resynced with planet-ish diagnostic (I didn't ask).
BSI reset using the I-can't-open-the-window method.
sorted. :)

thanks guys :thumb:- i think without the knowledge all sorts of bits might have been pulled out needlessly..

G

·
0 Posts
Good result, and a few things learned along the way.

Just for a bit of pointless info, the starter need to turn the engine at 60rpm or more for the crank sensor to recognise the turning and 'activate' the injection...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts