Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of doing a few minor repairs on my mothers 406, I decided to change the temp sensor due to the stop warning light on the dash coupled with erratic behaviour from the temperature gauge which after some googling led me to believe that this was the culprit.

Anyhow, while trying to refit the clip, the plastic ring around the housing snapped. I wasn't even applying much pressure so they are either really weak or it was about to go anyway. The part circled in red in the picture below is where it broke.

1. Do I need to replace the entire part pictured or can the front plate be unbolted and removed &
2. I have removed all the bolts and pipes apart from the nicely hidden pipe at the rear, any tips for accessing/removing this pipe would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stu

·
Registered
94 Posts
You have to buy complete thermostate housing for these.
Behind turbo there is a bolt 13mm holding metal oipe to the block.this has to be removed to release it from the seal as it is off centre. I would also release the clip off the water pipe at bottom of the engine and pull the lot off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thanks for the reply.

Off to the breakers tomorrow then, I'll have a look for that bolt in daylight.

I think I have released all the pipes but I may have missed one. Again I'll have a look tomorrow.

Hopefully everything else will go smoothly, only needed a couple of minor repairs and a service. Wasn't expecting to have to replace the thermostat housing!! :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Temperature sensor!!!

I've managed to get the thermostat housing off but I am now having problems refitting the temperature sensor.

Both the new one I bought and the old one will fit so I have the right one but the retaining clip will not go back in. This is the reason I broke the other thermostat housing so I don't want to end up doing the same again. I have tried pinching the clip with pliers, gently tapping it in and even lots of WD40 but the clip just gets stuck halfway and if I use any more force I may break this housing.

Any suggestions??:confused:

stu

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never mind, managed to sort it. Had to bend the clip all shapes to get it back in but it's done now. Car running and doesn't appear to be leaking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts