Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i'm new to the forum but have just bought a 2000 406 hdi rapier estate the car has done 200,000 miles and is in good order apart from an annoying squealing noise coming from the belt end of the engine i'm not sure if it's the belt or pulley's as i'm not overly familiar with these engines at the moment, but I sprayed a little wd40 on the pulleys etc and it quietened down momentarily but now it's back again like a droning low pitched squealing is the only way to describe it anyone any ideas as to what I should be looking for

many thanks
stu

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for that, is it easy enough to change ?? I noticed you can get a full kit on ebay with tensioner and rollers for £59 and it's a gates kit so should be decent quality ??

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
You need a 6mm allen key & a 4mm allen key or drill bit + a square drive socket handle.
Remove the right front wheel & support the car with an axel stand.
Remove the plastic wheel arch liner.
You will see the spring loaded tensioner in front of you, Place a square drive handle out of a socket set in the square hole in the bottom of the tensioner & push against the spring pressure untill you can place your 4mm drill bit or allen key in the hole to lock the tensioner off.
Undo the 2 6mm allen bolts & the tensioner will be free from your engine, NOTE where the belt goes FIRST!
Remove the plastic pully wheel from the end of the tensioner
Fit your new wheel to the tensioner & a drop of locking compound is a good idea on the bolt.
Refit to the engine, a little locking compound on the bolts dosnt hurt, theres another plastic wheel bolted to the side of the engine so replace this whilst you can get at it & stick a new belt on as well, make sure its the right one & line the ribs up in the pullys.
A helper is a good idea whilst you remove your locking bit or allen key from the tensioner.
Put all the rest back on and your good to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.