Peugeot Forums banner

406 Hdi Cutting Out When Towing Up Hill

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  CMax_307 
#1 ·
Hi To Everyone,

I have a V reg 1999 Peugeot Hdi Estate, I bought it for its towing capabilities after having many saloons.

I am having a problem when towing our caravan, When we start to go uphill (on any road) all of a sudden the car cuts out and stops dead. This when pulling a caravan can obviously lead to major problems on the road.

A friend with a basic "chip reader" has told me that the code showing is "fuel starvation to the pump" but past that he does not know.

The problem only occurs when there is a slow incline going up hill. I have to stop the car turn off the ignition and wind it over until it start again (for a few seconds the car seems to be without fuel) then it starts again and runs.

This only happens when we have our caravan on the back (never with the car by its self).

If there is a long hill, then it could cut out a few times before we get to the top of it.

The engine management light comes on and stays on until (it seems) the car engine cools down as when we come to it the next morning, the management light has turned its self off.

I am at a loss as to why this should happen.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly received,

Regards,

Tim

See less See more
#4 ·
Fuel Starvation

Hi,

There is no smoke either with or without the caravan, in fact its quite good at "not smoking".

The message is lack of fuel getting to the fuel pump, this seems to be correct because when I stop (and you have to) and crank the car over, it takes a few seconds for the fuel to get to the engine.

I have also replaced the fuel filter, but to no avail.

I have had the caravan on the car for a few test runs and it only stops when going uphill in a long incline - This is the bit that gets me ????.

Regards,

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.