Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I have a 1998 Peugeot 406 GTX 1.9Td. It has the XUD9BTF engine and is the model 8EDHX.
When on the overrun at anything over 1500 rpm the engine looses power. Now on the overun this doesn't matter, but the rev counter goes to zero and when you touch the throttle or the car slows enough so as the revs get below 1800 or so, the rev counter comes back to life as does the engine. Also, when the engine comes to life, it must be on overfuel because you get alot of smoke and the overfuel engine knock. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong? Any help would be magic. I have tried the obvious first. Full service, new filters, tightened all bolts, wire clamps checked sensor conectors etc. etc. etc!!!!

·
Registered
862 Posts
fartypants said:
Hi there. I have a 1998 Peugeot 406 GTX 1.9Td. It has the XUD9BTF engine and is the model 8EDHX.
When on the overrun at anything over 1500 rpm the engine looses power. Now on the overun this doesn't matter, but the rev counter goes to zero and when you touch the throttle or the car slows enough so as the revs get below 1800 or so, the rev counter comes back to life as does the engine. Also, when the engine comes to life, it must be on overfuel because you get alot of smoke and the overfuel engine knock. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong? Any help would be magic. I have tried the obvious first. Full service, new filters, tightened all bolts, wire clamps checked sensor conectors etc. etc. etc!!!!

Hi and welcome to the forum :thumb:

possibly down to over fueling this fault is often down to the ecu common on peugeot. Would recommend a diagnostic from your local garage.Another possibility is the idle control valve or the Lambda sensor sensor or the MAP sensor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just an update on my problem. Dealer unable to diagnose the symptom and reccomends new ecu. Said I'd live with it. Third gear goes in gearbox so get a second hand unit, and whilst replacing it find that the flywheel sensor has been damaged. New gearbox and replacement sensor and the car is like a new one. :thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts