Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I am looking for touch up paint for my 406 coupe Black/silver but having no luck. Went down to halfords with the code NXVC but they never heard of it.
Went to another paint shop who boasted they have an international database but still no luck. can anybody help?:confused:

·
Registered
464 Posts
I did some digging at work today and I think you MIGHT have the paint code wrong. I did come up with another code which is very similar - EXVC, Noir Granit - it's a 2002-2004 black if I remember correctly, and it was exclusively on 406 and 406 coupes. As for the silver, I can only guess at that as being EXL - a very common silver on a vast range of Peugeot and Citroen cars over the last decade or so.

I tried two different paint systems, and both of them cover everything from commercial, international standard, and car, motorcycle and truck colours from every corner of the globe so I'm fairly confident. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paint colour

Doesn't sound right. The paint code is written on the right front suspension turret in yellow paint on the early coupes or newer ones have it on a sticker.
I always thought the code was on the suspension turret but found it on the drivers door, a sticker with NXVC and tyre type and tyre pressures on the same sticker. :confused:

·
Registered
464 Posts
I always thought the code was on the suspension turret but found it on the drivers door, a sticker with NXVC and tyre type and tyre pressures on the same sticker. :confused:
Older cars have the code on the strut top, then it moved to the drivers A post - now they're putting them on the door edges, sometimes drivers, sometimes passenger. The 4 letter code at the bottom of the tyre pressure sticker is, 100%, the colour code.

To be honest, it's the middle two letters which are most important - EYLC is what's on my 306 but at work, EYL or YL work just as well. Not sure why yours starts with an N - it's almost always an E - the C isn't important at all - it means that there's clearcoat (or lacquer) over the paint. The only thing I can think of is that it MIGHT be a special code for a two-tone car - I've personally never seen a two tone pug from the factory so it's possible I've just never had to mix the paint for one. Seems odd though that a paint company the size of ICI have no trace of it either....

EDIT: Having said that, just found this page - 406 Coupe Owners Club which does confirm your colour code. My best guess would be that the black is EXVC and the silver is EVWC, purely based on the fact that those appear to be the black and silver on 406 coupes....

SECOND EDIT: Is your car actually silver and black, or is it one of the "silver and black" special editions where silver and black is the name, not the colour?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Older cars have the code on the strut top, then it moved to the drivers A post - now they're putting them on the door edges, sometimes drivers, sometimes passenger. The 4 letter code at the bottom of the tyre pressure sticker is, 100%, the colour code.

To be honest, it's the middle two letters which are most important - EYLC is what's on my 306 but at work, EYL or YL work just as well. Not sure why yours starts with an N - it's almost always an E - the C isn't important at all - it means that there's clearcoat (or lacquer) over the paint. The only thing I can think of is that it MIGHT be a special code for a two-tone car - I've personally never seen a two tone pug from the factory so it's possible I've just never had to mix the paint for one. Seems odd though that a paint company the size of ICI have no trace of it either....

EDIT: Having said that, just found this page - 406 Coupe Owners Club which does confirm your colour code. My best guess would be that the black is EXVC and the silver is EVWC, purely based on the fact that those appear to be the black and silver on 406 coupes....

SECOND EDIT: Is your car actually silver and black, or is it one of the "silver and black" special editions where silver and black is the name, not the colour?
I think its called silver/black because its a metalic black colour, thats just my own interpretation of it and i stand to be corrected. I might try a sample of EYLC on it, i mean it cant be that far out. LOL

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks:thumb:.i will give that one a try. Does the touch up paint come with lacquer mixed in or do i have to buy on it own?

·
Registered
464 Posts
The ones we sell are literally 25-30ml's of the exact basecoat paint we'd sell to any bodyshop so no, there's no lacquer. We don't do the clear through the post as it's considered hazardous material and we'd have to send it by a secure courier which is stupid money (something like £18 delivery on a £3 item doesn't make sense to most people) but you can use pretty much any clear lacquer designed for car use.

C

·
0 Posts
Dealer will sell you a set with lacquer for about £14, and it'll be the best match you'll get anywhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts